EVs SOLD OUT in In SoCAl --LATimes reports

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thankyouOB

If you've been enticed by the recent spate of cheap lease deals on electric cars, good luck finding one.

Southern California dealers are seeing heavy demand for battery-powered cars, now leasing for as little as $199 a month. Fiat's new 500e has waiting lists even though it hasn't hit dealer lots. And Honda dealers have already sold out of the Fit EV since a $259 lease was announced Thursday.

The reaction revealed pent-up demand for electric vehicles — as long as the price is right.
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-autos-electric-cars-sold-out-20130605,0,2362712.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i've always wondered. Isn't $199 far less than the monthly gasoline & maintenance costs? Even with the range limits, is there any other way one could drive essentially for free?

Same old dismissive BS: "...eco-conscious buyers looking to make a statement"

Why this pervasive mindset that anything with an eco benefit is only done on pretense?

Why not "...eco-conscious buyers looking to make a difference"?

pjoseph said:
i've always wondered. Isn't $199 far less than the monthly gasoline & maintenance costs? Even with the range limits, is there any other way one could drive essentially for free?
Depends on what you're comparing to along w/electricity and maintenance costs. Electricity in many parts of California is NOT cheap. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=261115#p261115" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=155519#p155519" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, for example.

I'm not working right now but I used to have a commute that was ~50 miles roundtrip. Let's assume call it 60 miles since I'd usually grab something to eat on the way home. Let's assume I only did 30 miles/day on weekends (too high). So, that's 1500 miles/month. Until I stopped tracking it, my lifetime avg mileage on my Prius was ~45 to 46 mpg. At 45 mpg and $4/gal for gas, that's $133.33.

Maintenance was pretty minimal w/an oil change every 6 months or 5K miles and some inspection (often included in the oil change price) at certain intervals. This doesn't include having to replace tires but that doesn't happen that often. (BTW, for brakes, I'm past 72K miles and still on the originals. Them lasting over 100K miles isn't unusual due to regen.)

Nubo said:
Same old dismissive BS: "...eco-conscious buyers looking to make a statement"

Why this pervasive mindset that anything with an eco benefit is only done on pretense?

Why not "...eco-conscious buyers looking to make a difference"?
Why not "eco-conscious buyers looking for reliable transportation, wanting to save money and decrease Americas use of foreign oil"

Stoaty said:
Why not "eco-conscious buyers looking for reliable transportation, wanting to save money and decrease Americas use of foreign oil"

why not eco-conscious buyers looking to stick it to the saudis, texans and the [insert your hated petroleum polluter/profiteer here].

Plus it's not "$199 a month" figure $220 once you add sales tax. Nor is "zero down" or "$999 down"
anywhere near an accurate picture of what you'll pay out the door - plan on at least another $1500-2000
for taxes, registration, fees, etc...

Frankly eco-consciousness was secondary to my Leaf purchase... It is a nice side benefit but definitely not the driving reasons...

thankyouOB said:
why not eco-conscious buyers looking to stick it to the saudis, texans and the [insert your hated petroleum polluter/profiteer here].

So let me get this straight, at lower prices you sell more of something, and less at higher prices. Amazing.

Maybe instead of having MSRPs and dealers and such, EVs should be traded on electronic exchanges.

smkettner said:
Sold out must be a figure of speech. Saw at least five at Connell today while getting my 2nd year battery check.

Aren't they primarily referring to the Fit and Fiat as being sold out?

A coworker really wants the Fiat EV and called dealers all over Southern CA. A number offered to put him on a waiting list but said at least their first four months were already sold out.

oxo said:
smkettner said:
Sold out must be a figure of speech. Saw at least five at Connell today while getting my 2nd year battery check.
Aren't they primarily referring to the Fit and Fiat as being sold out?

because i had filled out an interested-in car form with Honda, the dealers were calling me about two months ago.
with no news on the LEAF battery replacement price and a year to run on my CA rebate money, i decided to wait.

now, they seem to be out of vehicles.

It doesn't fit well into this particular news narrative but I did not quite understand what a compliance car was until this forum.

The Honda Fit E isn't explained for what it is in the article: a compliance car.

The last few days have had an uptick in press in the LA Times about EVs. Could be wrong but I sense PR work going on?

Back