Ev to Home, 6kW CHAdeMO Combo

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

I want one.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2012/05/leafvsh-20120530.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. will launch the “LEAF to Home” V2H (vehicle-to-home) power supply system, which can supply electricity from the 24 kWh Li-ion battery pack in Nissan LEAF electric vehicles (EV) to residential homes when used with the “EV Power Station” unit—which is also a 6 kW charger for charging the LEAF—developed by Nichicon Corporation...

EV Power Station: Specifications

When charging the LEAF

Input voltage:

Single-phase, AC 200V (±15%), 50 Hz/60 Hz (±5%)

Input current range:

AC 0-36A

Output voltage range:

DC 50-500V (CHAdeMO Protocol)

Peak power output:

6kW

Conversion efficiency:

90% or more (at rated output)

Power factor:

99% or more (at rated output)

When supplying power to households (V2H)

Input voltage range:

DC 150V-450V

Input current range:

DC 0-30A (Limited by cable specifications)
Single-phase three-wire system (AC 100V x two-phase)

Output voltage:

AC100V (±6%), 50Hz / 60Hz
AC 200V (±6%), 50Hz / 60Hz (Max.±2%)

Output current range:

AC 0 - 30A

Peak power output:

6kW (Single-phased, AC 100V·3kW x two-phase)

Conversion efficiency:

90% or more (at rated output)

External dimensions:

650 mm (W) x 350 mm (D) x 781 mm (H) (excluding projecting parts)

Mass:

Approx. 60 kg

I suspect the price point will be insane (note that it is US $4,153 WITH Japanese subsidies)... Plus, I really don't need 6.6Kw charging at home, I need it elsewhere... And the Japanese must have REALLY small houses if 24Kwh (which is actually about 21Kwh usable) will run theirs for two days! My little 3.5 Kw gas generator makes far more economic sense for emergencies and will run much longer...

edatoakrun said:
I want one.
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2012/05/leafvsh-20120530.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TomT said:
I suspect the price point will be insane (note that it is US $4,153 WITH Japanese subsidies)... Plus, I really don't need 6.6Kw charging at home, I need it elsewhere... And the Japanese must have REALLY small houses if 24Kwh (which is actually about 21Kwh usable) will run theirs for two days! My little 3.5 Kw gas generator makes far more economic sense for emergencies and will run much longer...

edatoakrun said:
I want one.

20 kWh will run my house for 2 days, but I could easily stretch those same kWh to a week, if I had to.

More to the point, mass production of this unit could a 6kW CHAdeMO in L2 price territory.

I think we may expect to see CHAdeMOs built to match all available kW levels, from 6 to 50, in the near future.

Not a very promising future, for AC public charging, IMO.

There are a number of different threads scattered about on MNL about Nissan's V2H system but I still have not heard anything about the system being offered for purchase in the states.

Spies said:
There are a number of different threads scattered about on MNL about Nissan's V2H system but I still have not heard anything about the system being offered for purchase in the states.

Will void your battery warranty, presently.

I figure I could make a few hundred dollars a year, to pay for one of these, on PG&E TOU rates, selling back 20%-80% charges, as I don't drive every day.

If I ever need a battery pack replacement, I could see keeping the old one (rather than trading it in) for this purpose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JtE-SrGRT28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is one case where I think a gas generator makes a lot more sense. When your car runs out of power there is no way to recharge it. At least with a gas generator you can go pickup some more gasoline and bring it home. This type of system would make great sense if it could be interfaced with a Prius or a Volt.

Another expensive box with no benefit during public charging.

AC Propulsion, working with University of Delaware has shown how to do this by repurposing the tzero drive inverter to charge the car, or to supply the grid, at 19kW. Renault seems half way there with the Chameleon charger. I'll wait for Nissan/Renault to do it the right way.

"With an electric vehicle, you are driving an electrical storage system: since the average US car is driven one hour per day, it can be made available to the grid while charging for the other 23 hours. tzero™ technology allows an electric vehicle to draw or produce up to 19 kW, the average power need of 13 US houses."

Actually, I think it depends...
I remember the storm in Seattle few years ago, we had no electricity for 2 weeks, and NO GAS either because guess what, all gas pumps were running on electricity...
The first folks to get grid electricity restores were hospitals, so if hospital would have a charging station, I can go with my leaf over there, charge, and bring some juice home ;) QC would make a lot of sense in this case.
Also after a week of no electricity we had electricity at houses just one block from mine, so I can ask my neighbors for some juice during day time to run my furnace at night.
I agree that is not as convenient as gas generator if you have fuel, but it's all about options, right?

adric22 said:
This is one case where I think a gas generator makes a lot more sense. When your car runs out of power there is no way to recharge it. At least with a gas generator you can go pickup some more gasoline and bring it home. This type of system would make great sense if it could be interfaced with a Prius or a Volt.

BTW, does current Leafs have capability to do a backfeed? no software/hardware changes to the Leaf??
I thought QC was designed with one way of electricity flowing, I mean controller in Leaf will tell only how much electricity it can take, not how much it can give.

There is also this product from the same company: "Nichicon Develops World’s Smallest and Lightest
10-kW Quick Charger for EVs" -- http://www.nichicon.co.jp/english/product_news/new123.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The QC port is basically a relay closure directly to the pack from the connector, so it could be bi-directional... It may require a software update to actually be functional, however.

UkrainianKozak said:
BTW, does current Leafs have capability to do a backfeed? no software/hardware changes to the Leaf??
I thought QC was designed with one way of electricity flowing, I mean controller in Leaf will tell only how much electricity it can take, not how much it can give.

MikeD said:
There is also this product from the same company: "Nichicon Develops World’s Smallest and Lightest
10-kW Quick Charger for EVs" -- http://www.nichicon.co.jp/english/product_news/new123.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the link. Found a price, anywhere?

When the portable ~10 kW "suitcase" CHAdeMO arrives at below both $2,000 and 100 Lbs, renting one and putting it in the trunk for longer trips in remote areas, to recharge at all the available 50 A 240 V sources, such as RV parks, will greatly ease "range anxiety' symptoms, for those so afflicted.

TomT said:
My little 3.5 Kw gas generator makes far more economic sense for emergencies and will run much longer...

Yeah, that's *IF" you can get gas! As UkrainianKozak said, in most big emergencies, hurricane, major earthquakes, tornados, etc the grid stays down for days or weeks, so the gas stations aren't pumping either. Even when they are, who wants to drive around every other day trying to find one, waiting in huge lines, just to keep the generator going. Been there, done that, no fun at all. Florida actually passed some kind of law or initiative to try to get all gas stations to have their own backup generator for future hurricane outages, but I'm not sure where that is at. Then, there is the terrible racket, smell, and carbon monoxide from most generators. My wife can't deal with it. Its a given that we can't backup out 4 ton A/C unit, or a conventional electric water heater, but everything else is cake. The fridge only needs ~1-2 kWh a day, plus a few lights, and some TV and computer. I have solar hot water, so I could stretch out 21 kWh for quite a few days.

edatoakrun said:
Will void your battery warranty, presently.

Unless Nissan can show you damaged the car, you can't void a warranty in the US by making modifications or repairs yourself.

In fact, I'm curious if Nissan can void the warranty on the battery for failure to do a battery check every year at the dealership. That sounds like it's in clear violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Back