EV only parking MEANS EV only!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevintylernelson

It's inconsiderate morons like the owner of the Mercedes sedan that was parked in the only CHAdeMO spot that shouldn't be allowed to drive! This parking garage in DC had at least 20 EV only charging spaces and almost all had ICE cars parked in them. It's ridiculous that garages do not have the authority to fine or tow these people, instead they pass out meaningless violation warnings...yeah, that will teach them. You don't see EVs parking in front of gas pumps blocking ICE vehicles from filling, so GET OUT of our charging spots! :x

Out here in the east bay of San Francisco, we just have new malls constructed that have 2 kinds of parking spots for EVs (rather AFVs)..

One set of slots are for EV Charging only.
Other set of slots are for "Clean Air Vehicle Parking only".

I see ICE morons parking in the "Clean Air Vehicle Parking only" slots all the time....

I need to walk up one day to the 2 malls and talk with the mall facilities and administration...

It is very annoying to see that...all 4 "Clean Air Vehicle Parking only" spots taken up by ICEs...

kevintylernelson said:
It's inconsiderate morons like the owner of the Mercedes sedan that was parked in the only CHAdeMO spot that shouldn't be allowed to drive! This parking garage in DC had at least 20 EV only charging spaces and almost all had ICE cars parked in them. It's ridiculous that garages do not have the authority to fine or tow these people, instead they pass out meaningless violation warnings...yeah, that will teach them. You don't see EVs parking in front of gas pumps blocking ICE vehicles from filling, so GET OUT of our charging spots! :x

Usually law enforcement cannot tow/ticket on pvt lots and in garages. But if the garage operator wants to enforce the EV only parking rule, they can. Usually they are very interested to "work" with a tow company for this as they get a cut on the tows. May want to suggest this to the garage/parking operator and see if they would be interested.

mihird said:
I see ICE morons parking in the "Clean Air Vehicle Parking only" slots all the time....
This vague rule cannot actually be enforced. Anything with a catalytic converter might be considered "Clean Air".

Or is there a specific vehicle code definition?

Probably best solution is the public shaming approach. Didn't we used to have a page on this forum for pictures of ICEVs taking charging spots? Someone has to know who these people are. When they start getting pressure from more socially minded friends, they might eventually come around.

If we assume the best intentions rather than a sinister intent, then we should assume they are illiterate. I suppose we could simply put pictorial ads on their cars for programs to treat illiteracy.

DarthPuppy said:
Probably best solution is the public shaming approach. Didn't we used to have a page on this forum for pictures of ICEVs taking charging spots?.
There is https://www.facebook.com/groups/iceholes.ev/.

smkettner said:
mihird said:
This vague rule cannot actually be enforced. Anything with a catalytic converter might be considered "Clean Air".

Or is there a specific vehicle code definition?

I think, new CA code is mandating these mall parking lots to provide these designated spots. And you are right...just calling a slot reserved for "Clean Air Vehicle Only"...doesn't mean anything...

I am guessing, just like HOV lanes, it would imply only green and white sticker-ed vehicles..but I am certainly planning on walking up to mall administration one of these weekends at busy hour..

To understand what is really meant by "Clean Air Vehicle Only" means research into CA DMV codes...

I am right...at the very least..the vehicle has to be CARB eligible to receive a white/green sticker...just doesn't necessarily need to actually have it..the spots are designated to meet new "California Green Building Code"...

http://www.pe.com/articles/vehicles-752853-vehicle-dmv.html

Q. Does a motorist’s vehicle have to display a “clean air vehicle” sticker to be legally parked in one of Riverside’s CAV-designated spaces?
A. Clarifying information included in a Sept. 29 traffic column , those “clean air vehicle” spaces sprinkled around Riverside are not restricted only to a zero or near-zero emission vehicle displaying a Department of Motor Vehicles-issued clean-air vehicle decal.
Rather, any qualified hybrid or clean-air vehicle (based on a list established by the California Air Resources Board), may use such a parking space, regardless of whether it displays a CAV decal.

“Some vehicles which are eligible for a (CAV) sticker may not have one, be it because of owner choice or because DMV limits the availability,” Riverside Regulatory Compliance Manager Kevin Street wrote in an email. “The city will allow eligible vehicles to use the spaces, whether or not they have a sticker and regardless of color of the sticker.”
The city’s CAV spaces, Street noted, were established in line with the California Green Building Code and intended to be reserved for zero and near-zero emission vehicles such as those powered entirely by batteries (Chevrolet Spark EV, Nissan Leaf and others) and plug-in hybrids (Chevrolet Volt, Toyota Prius Plug-in and others).
Also included, according to Street, are neighborhood electric vehicles, compressed natural gas vehicles (if the equipment was installed by the vehicle manufacturer), high-efficiency vehicles regulated by the federal Environmental Protection Agency and those displaying DMV-issued carpool lane stickers.
“In enforcing the use of these spaces,” Street said, “the city looks for either the presence of any DMV-issued CAV decal. Or, if there’s no sticker, whether the vehicle was eligible to receive one.”

Aren't these special parking spots just part of getting LEED certifications for buildings? So the building doesn't really have much incentive to enforce it, they just need to put them there in order to check the box.

The aquarium and convention centers here have special parking in the front for EV/hybrid/special fuel vehicles but every time I go with my family they are full of pickup trucks, minivans, or station wagons. It is a minor annoyance but I'm not gonna be that guy that goes in and complains to management about it to get someone towed. The sense of self-righteous entitlement alone is not satisfying enough for all that effort and we have no problem walking from the back of the lot like everyone else that arrives late.

Now if there is a car parked in front of a charging station not using it, and I need a charge, I will go say something... that is just being a dick.

Back