EV-CAN message Decoding

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like motor amps are also present in the 1d4 messages D3<<3+D4>>5. Tracks the 1da message really close but seems like a smoother function (maybe filtered?).

What is in EV:55B:D1 (of D1-D8)?
(EV-CAN bus, Message ID 0x55B, first data byte)

During QC, it appears to be something like our "soc" (GID),
but scaled slightly differently.

I am still looking for Battery Temperature.

garygid said:
Yes, looks like a smoothed varsion of "Motor Amps".

Here is a link to turbo2ltr's spreadsheet which he very Kindly shared with us.
(which one can save to one's own PC, I think):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...hkey=CJi03v4F&hl=en_US&authkey=CJi03v4F#gid=0

Cheers, Gary

Turbo2ltr posting of his spreadsheet is located here for cross reference.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4131&start=40#p98628" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My daily drive is fairly extreme. I start out by driving to an elevation 2000 feet higher than home (in about 9 miles). I built one of Gary's SOCs(its great). It has a data port. If logging my data would help then let me know. Point me in the right direction as far as software and knowledge that I need to do this.

Get the software, a Log file, and a "recipe" file (all free) at:

http://www.wwwsite.com/puzzles/cando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Play with that to learn about Logging CAN busses.

There appears to be a new message on the evcan after the latest firmware upgrade. I've never before seen a 5a9 message in any of my logs, but now I am seeing it. One byte in particular is intriguing. It appears to loosely follow SOC/gid, but not really. In the graph below, I show gids in green for a partial_charge-drive-full_charge section and msgID:5a9, D4 on top of it.

Added to the list..

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An7gtcYL2Oy0dGRaSWl6VTV2eXBQMy1ON2xZSzlMUXc

Attachments

• 5a9d4.jpg
    5a9d4.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 94
TickTock said:
There appears to be a new message on the evcan after the latest firmware upgrade. I've never before seen a 5a9 message in any of my logs, but now I am seeing it. One byte in particular is intriguing. It appears to loosely follow SOC/gid, but not really. In the graph below, I show gids in green for a partial_charge-drive-full_charge section and msgID:5a9, D4 on top of it.
I can confirm the 0x5A9 frame is present in all Leafs I have tested, including both with and without the latest software upgrade. With just a quick look at your graph, it appears those stepped values are the bars on the battery gauge, does it correspond?

-Phil

The 4th Battery Temp Bar covers 26ºF to 50ºF, the 5th up to 74ºF and the 6th up to 98ºF.

So, there are way too many steps indicated here to be the PKTEMPBARS themselves.

But, it could be related to Temp, but difficult to tell since we do not know the scale factors.

It might be related to the Cooling System Temperature.

Ingineer said:
TickTock said:
I can confirm the 0x5A9 frame is present in all Leafs I have tested, including both with and without the latest software upgrade. With just a quick look at your graph, it appears those stepped values are the bars on the battery gauge, does it correspond?

-Phil
Do you see it on the ev-can? I just checked my car-can logs and I do see it there (didn't think to check before seeing your reply). What's new it is is now showing up on the ev-can bus. It does not appear related to battery bars. After the first partial charge, I was at three bars and after the full charge at the end, I was at twelve.

TickTock said:
Do you see it on the ev-can? I just checked my car-can logs and I do see it there (didn't think to check before seeing your reply). What's new it is is now showing up on the ev-can bus. It does not appear related to battery bars. After the first partial charge, I was at three bars and after the full charge at the end, I was at twelve.
Yes, this topic is about the EV CAN, so I wouldn't post data from the other main bus. All my EV CAN logs on cars both before and after the service campaign contain 0x5A9 frames, and they occur about every 500ms.

-Phil

garygid said:
I do not see any EV:5A9 messages in my charging
or driving logs, including some logs from a few others.
Did you car get the first service campaign Gary? Maybe they added it after that one. I don't think I've logged any cars before that.

-Phil

garygid said:
I do not see any EV:5A9 messages in my charging
or driving logs, including some logs from a few others.
Gary, I recall 0x5A9 is listed in Turbo2ltr's bus description doc from awhile back.
It's on the Car-CAN not the EV-CAN IIRC.

Yes, my "0855" LEAF has not had the first (April 2011) firmware update.

I will watch for 5A9 in Logs from Updated cars.

Do any of the "passive" CAN messages show firmware versions, or does
one need to write a "query" to the bus to get some of the version,
Pack temp, and tire pressure information?

Back