"Electric Nissan LEAF leaving customers stranded"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindsayNB

http://autos.sympatico.ca/auto-news/8302/electric-nissan-leaf-leaving-customers-stranded

Owners are voicing their complaints and frustrations on the MyNissanLeaf forums. One person wrote that his car indicated it still had a 17 mile range, but went completely dead in about five miles.

This is really scary
"LEFT FOR DEAD"
http://jalopnik.com/#!5780215

This technology is so frightening I am running to my cave as fast as I can

:roll:
I just heard about an emergency recharge station that uses your bicycle to recharge the car, charging time is about 10 weeks. Available at http://www.bitemedoughboy.com
:lol:

There will always be wankers in the world. Good news is I won't have to see these yahoos again at the gas station in their SUVs station bitching about how much gas is and why we should be fighting foreign wars so we can have cheaper gas ( which we are obviusly entitled to).

Huh..this is an outrage!

Running out of juice in an electric car is just as inconvenient as driving on E all the time and running out of gas!

Electric cars should be banned!

If it's any consolation - there are definitely people posting from the other side of this as well - this one mentions range concerns and basically dismisses it: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110311/CARREVIEWS/110319977
What's funny is that this article could have been written much differently, with points like "I almost ran out of electricity on my first drive!", "I had to use my Blackberry to find a charging station!", but instead the author just took it all in stride.

Hey, the fuel range indicator on the Chevy Malibu I'm driving until I can buy a LEAF is not that accurate, either; it tends to overestimate the range all the way from a full tank right down to as low as I've cared to go. I'd have run out of gas more than once if I paid any attention to it. Maybe, in a way, this is good practice for a future LEAF owner...

Some of this reminds me of watching an interview with a Ford spokesman a decade or so ago who was responding to customers complaints that the gas gauge in their new Ford SUV never moved from 'F' and they were running out of gas. The spokespersons response was the fuel gauge was a only customer convience and it should not be relied upon to know how much gas you have in car. The only stranded I have is whether my ICE will last long enough to get me in my LEAF.

mgoleta said:
Some of this reminds me of watching an interview with a Ford spokesman a decade or so ago who was responding to customers complaints that the gas gauge in their new Ford SUV never moved from 'F' and they were running out of gas. The spokespersons response was the fuel gauge was a only customer convience and it should not be relied upon to know how much gas you have in car. The only stranded I have is whether my ICE will last long enough to get me in my LEAF.

Hope you dont have to eat those words!

I'll take my chances. I know how to plug in an electric cord ( at least until the Alzheimers get me.) I'll have to be stranded a lot to catch up to all the times our ICE cars have failed over the years. I know it is difficult for many people to believe that electromotive power is reliable and I know change can generate a lot of anxiety. Our local transit district has millions of miles on their electric vehicles and significantly less maintenance and problems than their ICE fleet. Life can be good and enjoyable. Don't let the trolls get you down.

So much of life with an EV reminds me of flying light airplanes.

- The gas gauge(s) is/are only 'certified' to be correct when they reach empty. A gauge that reads 'F' for 4.5 hours and suddenly drops to 'E' as the engine starts to sputter is just as legal as one that moves during a flight. (Actually, they all move in flight, but often it's just the needle vibrating.) If one wants to know how much fuel remains, they land and 'stick' the tank.

- The manual lists range at different altitudes and different engine RPMs. Before each flight, a pilot checks weather, learns wind direction and speed, calculates range to the next fuel stop, determines engine speed and altitude to fly for that leg (or discovers they can't get there from here and starts over), and has to land with fuel remaining in the tanks.

As for the unfortunate NY test driver? "In accordance with the 10% rule**, you may not drive another EV until you've attended four hours of remedial training and demonstrate the ability to see, hear, and properly respond, to spoken and written state of charge warnings without causing undue harm to yourself, your passengers, other motorists, or pedestrians."

** 10% Rule: One must demonstrate that they are at least 10% smarter than the machine they wish to operate prior to being allowed to control said machine.

AndyH said:
So much of life with an EV reminds me of flying light airplanes.

- The gas gauge(s) is/are only 'certified' to be correct when they reach empty. A gauge that reads 'F' for 4.5 hours and suddenly drops to 'E' as the engine starts to sputter is just as legal as one that moves during a flight. (Actually, they all move in flight, but often it's just the needle vibrating.) If one wants to know how much fuel remains, they land and 'stick' the tank.

- The manual lists range at different altitudes and different engine RPMs. Before each flight, a pilot checks weather, learns wind direction and speed, calculates range to the next fuel stop, determines engine speed and altitude to fly for that leg (or discovers they can't get there from here and starts over), and has to land with fuel remaining in the tanks.

As for the unfortunate NY test driver? "In accordance with the 10% rule**, you may not drive another EV until you've attended four hours of remedial training and demonstrate the ability to see, hear, and properly respond, to spoken and written state of charge warnings without causing undue harm to yourself, your passengers, other motorists, or pedestrians."

** 10% Rule: One must demonstrate that they are at least 10% smarter than the machine they wish to operate prior to being allowed to control said machine.

Hey Andy: that "10% rule" sounds like a letter from your friendly FAA FSDO (Flight Standards District Office) :p

derkraut said:
AndyH said:
Hey Andy: that "10% rule" sounds like a letter from your friendly FAA FSDO (Flight Standards District Office) :p
Or a comment from an old AF supervisor. :D

AndyH said:

Good one.

You guys crack me up! :lol: And yes, I will be more than happy to get an "EV" signoff in my logbook from... whomever is responsible for that?!?

BTW - the LEAF does remind me of the smoothness of flight. Except it has more in common with a small high tech jet than a rattling old 172. When I jumped out of the C310 and into a Lear 35 it was amazing how simple engine management was... and how easy to go too fast! The LEAF, with it electronic turbine, is just as smooth and has that pleasant seamless thrust I have always loved as a pilot. Probably why I am putting twice the usual miles on our new LEAF as I planned to.

mgoleta said:
The spokespersons response was the fuel gauge was a only customer convience
I learned that ceiling lights are a "convenience item" from the electricians who rewired our office before we moved in. I made them put the lights on the backup generator panel, anyway, so we wouldn't be typing on our laptops in the dark during a power outage. So far, this has worked as I planned; we've only had a couple outages so far, the longest about 5 minutes, and the lights were back on in less than 10 seconds both times.

I'll probably draw on some of the same things as a future LEAF driver I did when I was flying light airplanes: always have one or more contingency plans, pay attention to all available instrumentation to detect conflicting information, and maintain situational awareness. I guess this is more than the average driver learns...

LindsayNB said:
http://autos.sympatico.ca/auto-news/8302/electric-nissan-leaf-leaving-customers-stranded

Owners are voicing their complaints and frustrations on the MyNissanLeaf forums. One person wrote that his car indicated it still had a 17 mile range, but went completely dead in about five miles.

Similar one from http://nissan-leaf.net/2011/03/12/some-nissan-leaf-owners-are-left-stranded/.

Interesting observation is that they are one day apart and both are quoting posts from our forum. Its seems both these authors are scavenging for negative comments from our forum and trying to get attention for themselves.

It seems nissan-leaf.net forum is more for anti-LEAF audience. Sharon has been consistently posting misleading headline stories and most of the feedback she gets are from those who prefer Volt or anti-EV. I don't totally disagree with her opinion, but it just seems to be one sided and have a negative bias/tone.

leaf561 said:
It seems nissan-leaf.net forum is more for anti-LEAF audience. Sharon has been consistently posting misleading headline stories and most of the feedback she gets are from those who prefer Volt or anti-EV. I don't totally disagree with her opinion, but it just seems to be one sided and have a negative bias/tone.

But that would be weird....isn't there a Solar Charged Driving connection to that site?

Back