ECOtality Level 2 charger : Blink

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Blink unit will be programable. If there are features that are not part of the standard network software, you can write your own apps. Further details about the network (software) features are forthcoming.

evnow said:
garygid said:
I think the best options currently are

Blink : Hard wired, high-end option
Leviton : Plug-in, Low-end option
Yes, that's the impression I took away from Plug-in 2010 after looking at half a dozen options. Since I don't have a smart phone, and the Leaf has built-in programming for time of charge, I'm in the "low end" camp.

What I would love to do is put in the Leviton pre-wire kit...and then get a L2 portable charger...portable charger plugs into prewire kit at home, but can be thrown in the back of the LEAF if I plan to do some longer distance driving.

Gavin

To me, the plug-in solution is so very useful, even if you only take it to one or two other locations occasionally, that there is no contest ... unless the plug-in does not work correctly, or is priced too high.

Being able to charge at work (they are willing to give me access to a 240v socket) makes the trip "easy" in the LEAF instead of a 75-mile, hilly, freeway-speed, round trip that is "very difficult" to complete on a single charge.

The 20-amp 240v plug is just as easy to use as a standard 120V plug. It just has one of the blades rotated 90 degrees. OK, it's not a serious L2, but it's at least twice as good as L1. Probably plenty good enough for my needs.

DeaneG said:
The 20-amp 240v plug is just as easy to use as a standard 120V plug. It just has one of the blades rotated 90 degrees. OK, it's not a serious L2, but it's at least twice as good as L1. Probably plenty good enough for my needs.
And it matches closely (actually a little over) the 3.3kW capability of the on-board charger (discussed before: 20A * 240V * 80% = 3.8kW). :cool:

SilverLeaf said:
The Blink unit will be programable. If there are features that are not part of the standard network software, you can write your own apps. Further details about the network (software) features are forthcoming.

Interesting - how do you know this / link ?

I am waiting for availability of the Leviton L2 plug-in EVSEs, apparently to be available in 16, 24, and 32-amp versions, perhaps even switchable.

They (or, some of them) are rumored to be "under $800".

Just got a response to my Blink inquiry, and thought I might share it with you.

I sent a follow-up email indicating my location and verifying that I have had communication with AV, but was definitely interested in alternatives.

As you may remember, from the alternatives coming, I was very interested in Blink in particular.

Michael,

Thanks for your inquiry. Yes the Blink unit is fully compatible with the LEAF and in fact is the unit we are deploying to support the public infrastructure in our market areas with Nissan. I’ve attached our product sheet on this unit for your information.

Your note indicates that you are expecting the LEAF. I assume that means that you have registered with Nissan and have probably been notified that Aerovironment will be providing their EVSE. You certainly have the option of ordering our EVSE in place of theirs.

We are in the testing and Underwriters Laboratory certification testing on this unit now. We will be deploying this unit with the Nissan delivery process. For those included in the EV Project in our select market areas, about 30 days prior to taking delivery on the vehicle, Nissan will notify us of impending delivery. Our production schedule is based upon this delivery schedule. We would probably want to deliver to you within your same 30 day window.

Your note does not indicate where you live or where the EVSE would be installed. I assume that Aerovironment would typically be doing the installation. You also have the option of having us do that installation depending upon your location.

Hope this helps and we do appreciate your interest in our EVSE.

On the Blink website it says you'll need a membership card for commercial charging locations. This brings up an important question :?: if there are a half dozen types of EVSEs at commercial locations, will I need a "membership" card for each one? I don't want to have to sign up with 5 different companies, and carrying around 5 different membership cards.

Someone has said we will have to buy or return the home charger after the study is completed. I for one do not think so for 1 the tax rebate would have expired. 2 we are not doing this for free are we? I will have to ask when the contact me again.

As one of the 'someone' that previously reported that the EV Project EVSE doesn't belong to us, I present this:
http://www.etec.nissanusa.com/questionnaire/participant-agreement/

The rules appear to be a bit different since the piece I read that suggested that we'd have to buy the unit after the study. The agreement does say that we do not own the unit until after the study is complete, that when title transfers to us we will not have the wireless connectivity to the device - and that if we violate the terms of the study the EV Project can remove the EVSE from our garage.

Upon termination of this Agreement for cause, ETEC shall have the right, but not the obligation, to disable or remove any or all of the Equipment installed at the Location and terminate Participant’s Information Access.

Interesting. Ofcourse I don't read the fine print ;-)

Code:
Title to and ownership of the Equipment will be retained by ETEC through the Term of this Agreement and perpetually if the Agreement is terminated for cause. At the end of the Term, or upon termination of the Agreement without cause, ownership of the Equipment will be transferred to and vest in Participant. Participant acknowledges that upon termination of this Agreement and transfer of Equipment title to Participant, the Equipment will provide basic charging services only and that full functionality of the Equipment will require Participant to enroll in an ETEC EVSE membership network.

Apparently they will give the EVSE to us after 3 years and if we want full functionality we need to enroll in some membership nerwork - no doubt at a monthly/yearly fee.

evnow said:
Interesting. Ofcourse I don't read the fine print ;-)

Apparently they will give the EVSE to us after 3 years and if we want full functionality we need to enroll in some membership nerwork - no doubt at a monthly/yearly fee.
TWO years (term ends 12/31/2012). With cars expected Dec2010 that's all of 2011 & 2012.

Code:
1 Term of Agreement
This Agreement shall commence on the Effective Date and shall continue until December 31, 2012, (the “Term”). The Agreement may be terminated early in accordance with Section 6.

LEAFer said:
TWO years (term ends 12/31/2012). With cars expected Dec2010 that's all of 2011 & 2012.

Cool. We will own the EVSE earlier ;-)

BTW, that wireless communication is really useless for us. It is really for ecotality to collect data.

Though, it may be useful for a "non-smart" car - which doesn't have communication. In that case we communicate with the EVSE to start or stop charging, instead of with the car.

Back