ECOtality Level 2 charger : Blink

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SilverLeaf said:
Blnk! Blnk!

My Blink is being installed this morning. The installation is being done by Kortman Electric.

The installer provided two Owner's Manuals. The L2_R_1.5 dated 12/20/2010 and the updated L2_R_1.8 dated 2/15/2011. The firmware is the later version.

I will post some pictures later today, when the installation is complete.

If there is a PDF for the owner's manual, I would be happy if someone would post it here. I would like to get started reading it! :D

Hmm....If firware version 1.8 is available, has anyone's Blink auto-downloaded it? The log says it is checking for firmware every 15 minutes, but the next message right after that says no firmware is available. Funny thing is that both messages in the log are time stamped identically, almost as if the Blink is not really going out to the mothership to check (and it can't reach it).

Has anyone successfully upgraded?

pksd1 said:
Kataphn said:
SilverLeaf said:
Blnk! Blnk!

If there is a PDF for the owner's manual, I would be happy if someone would post it here. I would like to get started reading it! :D

Yes the link is posted earlier on this thread. Page 35+

I saw installation manual was posted but did not see owner's manual. If someone could post the link, would appreciate it.

Kataphn said:
I saw installation manual was posted but did not see owner's manual. If someone could post the link, would appreciate it.
DarkStar was kind enough to host the manual and warranty for me and posted the links here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=850&start=330

Perhaps the links should be moved elsewhere so they are easier to find.

Hello,
How are your Blink chargers working now (rev 1.2A)? Mine did great for a couple of days but now the screen is blank or green after a while and it wants me to go through the setup/screen calibration after I wake it up randomly pressing on the screen. It looses the WiFi and I have to re-key the info in. Seems like it loses it's memory storing my info. The breaker was not turned off. That being said, the Leaf was charged when I got up this AM using the Leaf start time & 80% timer.

I'll do a search to find info around this site cuz' I seem to remember others talking about problems.

On edit: Wow, I seem to be having all the same issues that others are having. I may try running a cat 6 cable to the unit. Suppose they are taking the defective units out "servicing/updating" them and installing them in the next guys garage? Maybe we should track serial numbers.

Randy said:
Hmm....If firware version 1.8 is available, has anyone's Blink auto-downloaded it? The log says it is checking for firmware every 15 minutes, but the next message right after that says no firmware is available. Funny thing is that both messages in the log are time stamped identically, almost as if the Blink is not really going out to the mothership to check (and it can't reach it).

Has anyone successfully upgraded?

I don't know what firmware my unit had when it came out of the box, but upon the first powerup, it went off and said "downloading firmware update. do not disconnect unit". After about 10 minutes, we were up and running, but my firmware shows 1.2A.

Perhaps Ecotality is sending out different versions to different people as a method of tracking problems/solutions?

First apparent Blink glitches last night... we have an 80% (10 bar) timer set to start at 10pm (which has actually been starting at 11pm since
the time change - this is done by the car).

Last night we got 3 charging stopped emails, one at 11:47pm, at 6 bars, one at 12:40am at 7 bars, and then one
at 1:50am with the requested charge completed at 10 bars.

So, apparently there were crashes (or reboots), but it did restart after each one. It's not immediately obvious how quick the restart
was - based on mileage I would have expected a total required charge time of 2:24 and it wrapped up after 2:50.

I do not recall whether I have an end time on the timer, if I did it is probably 5am. I would think if I had no end time, the restarts
would not have occurred (since plugging in after the start time of a no-end-time timer doesn't result in a start) - so maybe, luckily,
I do have one.

Blink Installed by Kortman Electric

Photos below

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56626019@N05/5535428951/in/photostream/

(click the NEWER link in the top right to go to the next picture in the set)
(The pics are not in sequence, don't know why that is so)

Great job by the installer, Daniel.

SilverLeaf said:

Photos below

Gotta love the ridiculous safety fence! The hat and vest must be part of the ECOtality contract too... :lol:

DarkStar said:
SilverLeaf said:

Photos below

Gotta love the ridiculous safety fence! The hat and vest must be part of the ECOtality contract too... :lol:

Yup! The safety fence, the hat and the vest are EVProject requirements, as is the extensive paperwork.

Looks nice! I'm trying to clear things in the garage for the Blink. Do you know roughly how much space I need for the whole unit when installing? Basically, the length from the cord reel to the charger itself. From the install manual it looks like 4ft.

FYI from Blink:

1) While the Blink Web page you refer to is discoverable and allowing interaction, it is not intended as a “live” tool quite yet. There are certainly some aspects of it which are working properly, but, for example, it is not allowing at this time for such functions as registration or 100% accurate readouts of all data (like date/time). In the near future, this will serve as an exciting and convenient way to interact with your Blink Network charging dock, offering a host of ways to monitor and adjust the unit without leaving the comfort of your own home.
2) Unfortunately, at this time, there is still a problem in the way the Nissan LEAF and Blink charging dock communicate regarding the scheduling of a charge when this request originates from the LEAF software. Nissan and ECOtality are working to resolve this as quickly as possible, and we are hoping to offer resolution very shortly. In the interim, the only reliable way to avoid this conflict is via the scheduling of a charge directly from, and solely by, the Blink Network Charger. In such a configuration, the LEAF would have no scheduled charge requests, while the Blink Network charging dock would instead be programmed with the timeframe within which scheduled charges should occur.
3) Any firmware updates which are rolled out and available for download by Blink Network charging docks are automatically discovered, scheduled, downloaded and applied by each individual unit. You should never need to manually request a download of or apply these updates. We also have the capability of replacing the individual card which houses these updates with a contractor visit and manual swap, but this has proven unnecessary for any updates at this time.

They are swapping my CC out next wednesday. Reading through this thread I'm thinking I should postpone it until the firmware is updated.

Back