Dual LEAF Households

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPVLeaf

Just how many Dual LEAF Households are there now?

LaAlan is now part of one. One was pre-ordered, the other was an Orphan.

I just met someone in the same office bldg who is now part of one. Two Leafs purchased from the same dealership. Not sure of the birth status of each (if pre-order, or Orphan).

There were original restrictions by Nissan to one pre-order per household (per email/order account). Does that restriction from Nissan still officially apply at this stage in the ordering process? If one were allowed to order a 2nd Leaf under a different email/order account, will Nissan care when they 'find out' that the 2nd Leaf is going to end up with an already Leaf'ed family? My guess is that they won't at this stage. There's no mechanism to do otherwise. Besides, at this point in their production, wouldn't they just want to sell as many Leafs as possible (within approp. tiered states)? :?

JPVLeaf said:
Just how many Dual LEAF Households are there now?

We came really close. I got an orphaned one before my reserved one came in. We had planned to take that one too. But then my wife backed out 2 days before the reserved one came in. She loves the Leaf and drives it often, but the issue remained that she wanted to have at least one vehicle with more range until more charging stations crop up here in North Texas. So we got her a new Prius.

Actually, I think what we'll probably do at this point is wait until the Prius PHV comes to market and trade hers in for one of those. Then we'll both have EV capability and still retain that long-range ability.

adric22 said:
Actually, I think what we'll probably do at this point is wait until the Prius PHV comes to market and trade hers in for one of those. Then we'll both have EV capability and still retain that long-range ability.
Leaning towards the same thing here. Only hold-up will be the price of the Prius PHV...

Us, too. Will look for plug in hybrid when our #2 car Honda Accord gives up the ghost. Though I would, for sure, consider a Suburu hybrid if they ever come out with one. I want the all wheel drive and a nice factory rack for kayak, etc.

We've definitely thought about it since getting one - they are amazing and we have to "choose" somebody to drive it each day to play fair. Having two would eliminate that decision.

But living in the midwest and having a fairly regular need to go out of town just for fun (trips to Bartlesville, etc.) it makes sense to keep a non-EV in the garage. At this point, we're looking at the 2012 Passat TDI, since it gets some pretty awesome highway mileage and is a full sedan (vs. the Prius, which is not quite a sedan).

Yes, that is exactly why our next second car will be an ICE...

PhatBoyG said:
But living in the midwest and having a fairly regular need to go out of town just for fun (trips to Bartlesville, etc.) it makes sense to keep a non-EV in the garage.

mogur said:

PhatBoyG said:
But living in the midwest and having a fairly regular need to go out of town just for fun (trips to Bartlesville, etc.) it makes sense to keep a non-EV in the garage.
Buy a PHEV - that way you get your long range as well as EV commutes for the second driver.

Mogur, get an i8 since you like BMW so much ;-)

evnow said:
Buy a PHEV - that way you get your long range as well as EV commutes for the second driver.

I'm honestly not a big fan of hybrids. You still have to put gas in it, and the sacrifices you make in terms of power and the shudder as the motor constantly restarts (and here in OK, it starts often due to heavy A/C use) is annoying. I would rather buy a second leaf and keep our 7 year old Sienna for road trips (which is like a PV-EV combo, but with two insurance premiums instead of one).

The Passet TDI gets 31/43 - which is pretty decent but the price of diesel is slightly higher than premium fuel. It is, however, a quite comfortable sedan (I checked out the dealer demo unit last week, they are available for order in September). It's about the same price after the tax credit, and the van could be sold as well to offset the cost.

So many decisions - if I did get a second Leaf it would be an 012 to go along with the 011 (yes, I'm saying Oh-eleven) just to have one of each to compare the changes between the two in nitpicking detail.

PhatBoyG said:
I'm honestly not a big fan of hybrids. You still have to put gas in it, and the sacrifices you make in terms of power and the shudder as the motor constantly restarts (and here in OK, it starts often due to heavy A/C use) is annoying. I would rather buy a second leaf and keep our 7 year old Sienna for road trips (which is like a PV-EV combo, but with two insurance premiums instead of one).
PHEVs don't necessarily work that way.

Anyway, for a lot of us 3 cars isn't an option (no space).

To me, if it has an engine of any kind, it is still an ICE, be it PHEV, HEV or whatever... If I win the Lottery, I might consider an i8!

evnow said:
mogur said:
PhatBoyG said:
Buy a PHEV - that way you get your long range as well as EV commutes for the second driver. Mogur, get an i8 since you like BMW so much ;-)

We're not a dual LEAF household but we are dual EV (Toyota RAV4-EV). In the 5+ weeks that we have had the LEAF the gas guzzler (Prius) has not taken a trip. The LEAF has logged over 1250 miles in that time has taken over as the top electricity consumer (279 kWh in July) from the RAV4-EV (246 kWh). The last full month with only one EV the RAV4-EV consumed 454 kWh (The LEAF has taken over the weekend/family driving which we used to do in the RAV4-EV). The Prius has joined the plug-in party, I've attached a 12V battery maintainer to keep that 12V battery from going flat.

arnold

We are a dual leaf household :D and absolutely love both of our Leaves. We've put 2500 mi between the two since we picked them up in June. Neither my wife nor I want to drive our 2005 BMW 545, we find it noisy and it costs about 8x more to drive than the leaf.

Ah, two California pre-ordered, non-Orphan Leafs. Nice. :p

On the incentive side, from what I can tell, a dual Leaf household is eligible for multiple Fed EV tax credits of $7.5k each so long as one has enough of tax liability during that CY: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml,
and Form 8936: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8936.pdf. If not, there's always the lease option.

And, one can file for multiple CA CVRP rebates (up to 20 :eek: ).
https://energycenter.org/index.php/incentive-programs/clean-vehicle-rebate-project/about-cvrp

We will soon be a "Dual Leaf Household"... We have one purchased off a lot, and have another on order with delivery scheduled for January... We have gone "All In" as it were :)

RandyDMFD said:
We will soon be a "Dual Leaf Household"... We have one purchased off a lot, and have another on order with delivery scheduled for January... We have gone "All In" as it were :)

How do you plan to handle charging? When we were considering a second Leaf, I ran wire in the garage for a second EVSE, but never ended up needing it. I've converted it to a regular 120V socket at the moment, but should the day ever come, the correct gauge of wire is there that I could rewire it to 240V.

RandyDMFD said:
Congratulations (in advance). Will you guys be keeping a third (gas) car?

We're a dual Leaf household.

First car came from Premier Nissan in San Jose in March. paid MSRP. Got a free Blink charger and the $5000 CA state rebate. Car now has over 12K miles on it.

Second car came from Boardwalk Nissan in RWC back in Sept. Got 5% off MSRP. Got a seocnd free Blink charger and am currently waiting for the now reduced state rebate of $2500 which should arrive mid next month. Car now has over 3K miles on it.

No issues with either car.

adric22 said:
How do you plan to handle charging? When we were considering a second Leaf, I ran wire in the garage for a second EVSE, but never ended up needing it. I've converted it to a regular 120V socket at the moment, but should the day ever come, the correct gauge of wire is there that I could rewire it to 240V.

adric22, I installed two EVSEs at the same time knowing the second vehicle would be there soon... We purchased the AV units off of ebay and I installed them myself. They are both wired off a subpanel that you can see on the back of the post. I ran a 100amp service out to that panel. Someday if we, or the next people to own our house, decide to add a garage that panel will easily adapt to the new structure... Oh how I wish we had one now...

JPVLeaf said:
Congratulations (in advance). Will you guys be keeping a third (gas) car?

JPVLeaf, Thank You. Yes, we will be. We have a 2003 Ford Taurus that will be quite content to sit off to the side and await the longer adventure. It used to be my wife's car, and she got the first Leaf. It hasn't been driven since the Leaf's arrival (imagine that). It is a good car, but given the size of Des Moines, it really won't be necessary to drive it unless we are headed on a trip somewhere, or just taking it out ro run it.

Back