Don't have an accident!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CA DMV now gets electronic notification from the insurance company if your policy lapses, and will refuse to renew your registration, and in addition, will cancel it mid-year if the insurance company lets them know your policy is cancelled.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
CA DMV now gets electronic notification from the insurance company if your policy lapses, and will refuse to renew your registration, and in addition, will cancel it mid-year if the insurance company lets them know your policy is cancelled.

-Phil

thanks, phil!
ah, the truth undoes the ugly rhetoric with a little reality check.

As I was driving down a highway this past Friday, a deer ran out of the woods and smacked into the driver's side of my LEAF. It did a nice job on the back door and rear quarter panel -- there's even a wrinkle in the door jamb.

I'm severely bummed! :-(

I just hope there's a shop that knows what it's doing and doesn't fry my battery pack or try to slap a whole bunch of Bondo onto the aluminum.

Ugh!

The only good part is that it's covered under my comprehensive coverage and, therefore, only costs me $100 out of pocket -- well, at least until I discover all of the work that wasn't done correctly. :-(

yeswaydude said:
As I was driving down a highway this past Friday, a deer ran out of the woods and smacked into the driver's side of my LEAF. It did a nice job on the back door and rear quarter panel -- there's even a wrinkle in the door jamb.

I'm severely bummed! :-(

I just hope there's a shop that knows what it's doing and doesn't fry my battery pack or try to slap a whole bunch of Bondo onto the aluminum.

Ugh!

The only good part is that it's covered under my comprehensive coverage and, therefore, only costs me $100 out of pocket -- well, at least until I discover all of the work that wasn't done correctly. :-(

from my experience, you definitely want to get your Nissan dealer involved in removing the pack for painting and welding.
the cost of that has a very large range, which you can read about in the rear-ended post.
mine was about $3900 and another poster's insurance paid about $1200. I have no explanation for the difference in cost and, as it was paid by insurance and my inquiries were met with stonewalling, I never got a good explanation from the dealer.

Normally there's a fixed amount of time before insurance stops paying for rental car, and which you can expect your car to be repaired and returned in 'like new' condition. while it's not the insurance company's fault, this is why cars are frequently 'totalled' - as in total loss. it sounds as though you should open a dialog with your insurance company to suggest a deadline for this determination so that you can replace your vehicle with a new one.

Back