Does trunk open button gets disabled when car locked?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stunt822

this question came from something I did unintentionally, and a bit ashemed of :oops:
but: Is trunk locked when car locked up?

I was looking at leaf parked on company lot, and was wondering if trunk has mechanical or electrical actuator. So i applied a little pressure on trunk button and it popped :oops:
Locks on doors appeared to be locked, no red color on levers (but I didn't attempt to open one)

So is it a glitch or just some conincidence that trunk can be opened even if car is all locked up?

If the doors are locked and you open the trunk it will open with out unlooking the car if you have the fob in your pocket.

There is no red on the LEAFs door locks like some cars. If the trunk opened for you, odds are the car was not locked. I just tried opening my trunk while the car was locked and it did not open.

When the trunk failed to open, you did NOT have the Fob with you, right?

Aren't there are 2 "buttons" there, a small round "unlock" button on the right and a big rectangular "open" button on the left?

If the LEAF is locked and you do NOT have the fob in your pocket, the hatch will NOT open. If you have the fob in your pocket, it will automatically unlock and open by default. The "call" button next to the hatch release button will lock/unlock doors just like the two others on the driver and passenger door when the fob is in your pocket.

garygid said:
When the trunk failed to open, you did NOT have the Fob with you, right?

Aren't there are 2 "buttons" there, a small round "unlock" button on the right and a big rectangular "open" button on the left?
Correct, no fob in my pocket. I tried both buttons. I got the distinct impression for the OP that this wasn't his car, nor did he have the key. So that is what I was testing.

I just went out to my LEAF this evening to check something. I discovered this same thing. All four doors were locked, but the hatch was not. I had no key on me when I opened the hatch. I will do some investigating to see what I can find out.

LEAFguy said:
I just went out to my LEAF this evening to check something. I discovered this same thing. All four doors were locked, but the hatch was not. I had no key on me when I opened the hatch. I will do some investigating to see what I can find out.
Eek! Please do, that could be bad...

Had you been in the hatch last after locking up originally? Since, by default, the LEAF only unlocks the door you're at unless you push twice, is it possible that you got out, locked the car, then went around to get something out of the trunk? That could result in all four doors being locked but the hatch being unlocked...

There's a setting in the menus, under comfort & others, to turn off selective door unlock. I've turned it off simply because I hated having to push the button twice just to let my wife in... That will cause all doors to unlock when you use the keyless entry, thereby preventing this scenario (and leaving all does unlocked of course).

LEAFguy said:
Got to work, pressed the "call" button to lock the LEAF, dropped my keys on my desk and then went back and tried to open the hatch. Hatch stayed locked.

Do you use the button on the doors to lock or maybe the lock button on the fob?

Sorry about the delay in responding. Life... :)

Anyway, I was able to replicate the issue, but only on purpose, as follows:

Lock the car (all five doors)
Unlock the hatch only to retrieve items from the cargo area
Close the hatch
Hatch remains unlocked, unless locked with the button on the hatch or the intelligent key

I could not replicate the issue any other way. As we have young kids in school, I can see where this could have played out exactly like that and I was not aware of it. Just remember to lock the hatch after opening it and problem solved. :)

LEAFguy said:

Close the hatch
Hatch remains unlocked, unless locked with the button on the hatch or the intelligent key
This is the correct behavior. When opening the hatch, if you listen carefully you'll hear it unlock first, then pop open. If the car isn't locked it opens a lot faster and when you lock the car you'll hear the hatch lock too.

Most cars will automatically lock all the doors (passive alarm) about 30 secs after closing the last door/hatch. Will the LEAF do this?

Oh for the days of mechanical locks that were either locked, or unlocked, and stayed that way until we purposefully changed them with a key, instead of having to consult a state diagram and determine the contents of our pockets.

It's like coming home to discover your toaster is now a dishwasher because you wore red shoelaces.

LEAFguy said:

Close the hatch
This doesn't sound like a very obscure case. Scenario:
  • You get to work and park in the EV space your employer has provided with a 120v outlet.
  • You use the button to unlatch the power port, grab your laptop bag, get out, and lock the car.
  • You go to the back, drop the laptop, get out the trickle charge cord, and close the hatch.
  • With laptop bag in one hand, 20 feet of cord + EVSE brick + nozzle in the other, you stagger to the front of the car.
  • You plug into the car, plug into the outlet, grab your laptop, and make a dash for the office.

I think you forgot to do something.

Ray

Although this is not related to the topic specifically it may help others in the future as well.
Regarding my problem with my trunk hatch failing to release.

Received brand new Leaf at dealership day 1 and trunk opens fine. Get home at night and trunk refuses to open at all.
Next day 2 trunk opens fine then at evening time trunk refused again to release. Decide to try a test by parking in the sun to prove to myself that it may be related to the temperature. Turned out it was!
I figured a lose connector that was effected by thermal expansion and contraction as during the day things warmed up at night cooled down. When I brought it to the dealership to work on of course it worked so I parked it in the shade and in a windy area with the hatch open for about 20 min. then closed it and sure enough it would not open fortunately so I could prove to Nissan it was truly an issue to deal with. The mechanic confirmed the issue and fixed it with re-connecting it in the area directly behind the latch their is a small access hatch and that's where he reseated the connector. The diagnostics testing proved no signal was being receive at the central control unit and so to troubleshot from their was as easy way to isolate and fix.

Nubo said:
Oh for the days of mechanical locks that were either locked, or unlocked, and stayed that way until we purposefully changed them with a key, instead of having to consult a state diagram and determine the contents of our pockets.

It's like coming home to discover your toaster is now a dishwasher because you wore red shoelaces.

Hysterical...thanks for making me smile.

Stunt822 said:
So which button do you need to press to lock the hatch after picking up your stuff?
The hatch itself has two buttons - the flat one on the left is the hatch release button. The raised round button on the right is the lock/unlock button. It works the same as the buttons on the two front doors. Press once to unlock the hatch - press twice to unlock all five doors. If unlocked, pressing the lock button will lock all five doors.

For the ones that have a LEAF, will the doors and hatch lock automatically when you walk away from the car (without pushing ANY buttons), like some passive alarm systems do or do you always HAVE to push a button to lock them?

Back