Do you plan to buy/lease 30kWh MY16 Leaf ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you plan to buy or lease a 30 kWh 2016 Leaf

• Plan to buy

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Plan to lease

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • Will wait for Gen 2 Leaf

Votes: 28 28.6%
  • Will wait for Bolt

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Will wait for Model 3

Votes: 28 28.6%
  • Not planning to get an EV in the next 5 years

Votes: 17 17.3%

• Total voters
mbender said:
CRLeafSL said:
I guess you missed the word "realistic" in my post.
CRLeafSL said:
Well then EV's are a long ways away from taking over the ICE vehicles which is the whole point of an EV. To get vehicles off of gas. You have to please the general public to get them to buy your product. That's what I expect in an EV and pretty much everyone I know.
Then the general public and everyone you know is just going to have to be "re-educated", and reassess their actual needs. That will happen, but over the course of years.
CRLeafSL said:
Actually 200 miles I still think is on the low side. I personally think they should be aiming more around the 300 mile range which is pretty much what any average ICE car can go on a tank of gas. Until I can hop into an electric and go as far as I can in a gas, I'm just simply not interested.
This is silly, if not unrealistic. One of the main reasons for "300-mile gas tanks" is that people do not want to visit gas stations so frequently. But the equation completely changes when you can just plug in at home and add one or two hundred miles overnight, every night. Only a small percentage of the population regularly drives over 100 miles in a day, let alone 200 or more.

I certainly do not need to be re-educated or reassess my needs. I have already stated my needs. Now it's up to the manufacturers to produce a product that meets my needs. I don't adjust my needs for any manufacturer. It's up to the manufacturer to build a product that meets MY needs, not the other way around. If I'm spending $25,000 to $30,000 on a car, then that car better perform as well or better than an ICE counterpart at the same price. Your statement about adding miles at home only works if you stay at home or in your home town. What about long distance travel? I like to travel alot and my $25,000 + car better be capable to take me wherever I want to go whenever I want. Otherwise I'm not buying. That's where the 300 miles is needed. I can jump in my gas car and go roughly 300 miles on a tank of fuel so my electric car better be able to as well. Otherwise if it can only go half that distance, then I'll pay half the amount for the car.

You're in a small minority, is my point. Keep your gas car or get a Volt or PHEV if you really want to drive 300 miles non-stop. Or pay 3x the LEAF price for a Tesla, which will allow you to do that today.

We are at least a decade away from EVs even being made and sold in the same numbers as ICEs with similar feature sets at comparable prices. That (almost) goes without saying.

It's not very productive to argue with people in a poll thread. Normally I just expect to see the reason why someone votes the way they do.

^^ Sorry, got caught up in someone else's argument. Perhaps they should be admonished as well.

My current 3-year lease (of a 2015) ends in August of 2017. I'll have to reassess the landscape, prices and my finances at the time. I answered wait for the Model 3, but I may have to extend my lease even if I do want it, as it may very well not be out until the fourth quarter of 2017.

I actually like my 2012 SL, which I purchased when first available. I use the vehicle solely for local errands, tasks for which it performs beautifully. I travel occasionally to events about 50 miles away and for that the LEAF is just unable to do it. We have a dearth of L3's in the area and the last thing I want to do is sit at an L2 station for an hour after an evening concert to get the juice to return home. Yes, my other car is and will be for several years an ICE vehicle.

So, the MY2016 doesn't really do much for me, and takes away from me my electronic/electric emergency brake which I quickly learned to love. Since I own the 2012 and market prices are so low, I want to use it as long as I can until a much-longer-range vehicle is available. And yes, I know a Tesla would be perfect except for that 100-large investment upfront. I think (hope?) the 2017 LEAF could very well be the next EV for moi.

By the way, even though my 2012 still shows 12 bars, I get about 50 miles of mixed driving to my first low battery message.

I voted "not planning to get an EV for the next five years". Like some others I need a single car that can handle everything including road-trips, and need ICE-comparable (300+ miles year-round at freeway speeds) range in all weather. I don't see BEVs achieving that (at a price I can afford and am willing to pay) within the next five years, even assuming that reliable charging infrastructure is available within that time frame to get me to most of the places I like to go (unlikely other than Tesla).

If I need to buy a car in less than 5 years a PHEV is an option, although none currently available meet my major requirements (small AWD CUV/wagon, but A3 e-tron or Outlander are possibles in the near future) - at least the infrastructure won't be an issue. FCEVs do essentially meet my performance needs, but not for awhile yet on price; infrastructure should be less of an issue than it is with BEVs owing to better range requiring fewer sites, faster refueling, and available waste heat not subtracting from winter range.

mbender said:
^^ Sorry, got caught up in someone else's argument. Perhaps they should be admonished as well.

My current 3-year lease (of a 2015) ends in August of 2017. I'll have to reassess the landscape, prices and my finances at the time. I answered wait for the Model 3, but I may have to extend my lease even if I do want it, as it may very well not be out until the fourth quarter of 2017.

I expect while Tesla will allow deposits for the $35k ($40k after inflation) same as the others, that delivers of model 3 closer to Tesla S 70D in price will take priority, perhaps for a couple of years. Which is to say the 'cheap' Tesla gets delivered after Tesla and Nissan have both consumed their repsective federal rebates.

We like to travel, but dislike having to or feeling the need to stop and charge frequently. We do like to stop every hour/ hour and a half driving our now rarely used Subaru Forester so getting a Leaf that gets a solid 100 miles would definitely be a move in the right direction. After 33,300 miles we do well to get 69 miles before LBW in our 2012 SL. That is not enough. Perhaps the 30 kWh will work for us now but what about after 30,000 miles? We've kicked out our $99/mo lease 18 months now to 5/16. I want to see how the new 30 kWh (or better) Leaf performs before making a jump to a new lease. I am "sold" on the Leaf for now and Nissan for making things work with service and charging opportunities. We plan on buying a longer range EV that at least meets the bar set by Nissan.

Even though I'd love to sell my 1 year old 15 for a 16 (really wouldn't even lose that much on the deal thanks to the tax credits), I will wait for a Model 3 and be done with ICE forever. I just did a 3000+ mile road trip in our other car and not once did we go outside the range of a tesla without stopping.

I just got my 2015 last September. At the time, no pre-announce of anything better coming, but it had been 4 years without change, so has to come some time. My plan was (and has not changed) to drive until degradation no longer meets my needs, then find the best battery replacement available, and do it again. Hoping to get the battery replacement from Nissan so it will be crash-worthy, engineered to match, covered by a warranty, etc. And that improving infrastructure would gradually accommodate longer trips. 10 months ago there were zero QC locations in MN. Now there are 22. Much faster build-out than I would have expected.

The 84 EPA estimate is currently about double my daily commuting needs. The idea is that with some degradation over time, and some loss due to MN winter temps, I could still easily do the daily commute year-round. With the cold weather, hoping the current battery will hold out 8-10 years. And hoping by that time there is a Gen3 or 4 battery replacement available for $2-3K (in today's dollars). With any luck it will have 250mi. EPA range (by today's test), the lower cost, and roughly double the life expectancy.

Back