Do you plan to buy/lease 30kWh MY16 Leaf ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you plan to buy or lease a 30 kWh 2016 Leaf

• Plan to buy

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Plan to lease

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • Will wait for Gen 2 Leaf

Votes: 28 28.6%
  • Will wait for Bolt

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Will wait for Model 3

Votes: 28 28.6%
  • Not planning to get an EV in the next 5 years

Votes: 17 17.3%

• Total voters
I think that I am done with ev's for now.
I miss driving a sporty fun car.
And my 2011 is down to about 45 mile range
Hopefully I will get a new battery and can sell the 2011 for more than the bargain rates that they
Are at now
Looking at Toyota FRS

Mx5racer said:
I think that I am done with ev's for now.
I miss driving a sporty fun car.
And my 2011 is down to about 45 mile range
Hopefully I will get a new battery and can sell the 2011 for more than the bargain rates that they
Are at now
Looking at Toyota FRS

I agree the Leaf is kind of a boring drive, but perhaps an eGolf may keep you in the EV family? Or a 500e? Neither will be as sporty as a Miata or an FR-S but at least with the Golf it's not as dull as the Leaf (I suspect the Fiat will also be more sporty-feeling).

Where's the "wait for Outlander PHEV" option?

The 100-mile Leaf sounds tempting, but I don't want to be stuck half-way through a 2-year lease when cars I really want come out: namely, Outlander and 150-mile Leaf, Bolt, et all. Now with NMAC's offer edging all the way up to$ 6500, I think I'll just buy out my current car in September and wait on Mitsubishi for even longer. It's over mileage and all scratched to hell anyway.

TomT said:
Some will likely go for the 2016 Gen 2 Volt so the survey really should have included it too...
Wanted to include only known upcoming BEVs.

There are too many PHEVs to include - moreover - they ma not replace current Leaf.

I really have doubts as to when the GM EV and the Tesla Model 3 will come out - especially in my location. I can see a real limited release in 2017 to CA only or some other compliance bullsh*t by GM -- it's not like GM has a good track record; Tesla is always a year or two behind on their schedule. As such, I will consider a 30kWh MY16. I may lease one.

Say what you want, at least Nissan has an EV and makes their EV available to all.

I probably won't buy until something highly desirable comes out. A Tesla 70d drivetrain in a hot-hatch like the VW Golf. Twin motor all wheel drive (like a mash-up of the Tesla 70d and the AWD Golf R) would create a really fun and fast EV. Even better if the two motors have different gear ratios to maximize both in-town and highway range.

With me, it just recently changed from a "definite no" to a "maybe".

I've got a 2013 Volt lease expiring next June, and it appears GM Financial is no longer applying the tax credit to leases, either in the form of a cap cost reduction or a residual inflation. This makes going back to leasing a LEAF much more attractive, especially if it has a bigger battery and the battery is more heat-tolerant than the 2011-2014MY batteries were. The leases on 2016 Volts are going to be very expensive.

I doubt the Gen 2 LEAF will be available by next June.

The only other alternative would be to buy a cheap gasser (like a Chevy Sonic) and just wait.

I would be in a "no way" category for the 30kWh version of the leaf. Leased a 2012 for two years which I turned back in at the end of February and don't miss it at all. They introduced the Leaf in 2011 with a 24 kWh battery and 5 years later the best they can do is increase it by 6 kWh? Really? In my opinion another failure by Nissan. Also won't even consider it until I see a Liquid heating/cooling loop going to the battery. Hope they include this in Leaf Version 2 or I will never be another Nissan customer ever. Plus it needs to get at least 200 mile highway range with heat or air going to be realistic. 30kWh is just another joke of a product for Nissan. Strike 2 on failures.

CRLeafSL said:
Also won't even consider it until I see a Liquid heating/cooling loop going to the battery. .. Plus it needs to get at least 200 mile highway range with heat or air going to be realistic. .
Your Tesla is awaiting your order at any time.. ;-)

desiv

DNAinaGoodWay said:
After one day, and at 47 votes, 0% would choose to buy a MY16. But then, when NMAC offers $5-$7k to buyout a lease, why would anyone ever buy?

Because the current 2015 is also selling well below MSRP. I bought a 2015 base SV for $25,000 plus tax. That's $7,100 below MSRP, I get the $7,500 federal credit, and I also get $5,000 back from Georgia. Tax included the vehicle is only costing me $15,000. I won't have to deal with the uncertainty of whether a discount will be offered on the 2015 leases, and in Georgia I would have to pay tax again to buy a leased vehicle.

evnow said:
TomT said:
Some will likely go for the 2016 Gen 2 Volt so the survey really should have included it too...
Wanted to include only known upcoming BEVs.

There are too many PHEVs to include - moreover - they ma not replace current Leaf.

Where is the buying a Model X option? I chose waiting for Model 3 because it was the closest, and I might replace my 2015 LEAF with a Model 3 eventually.

desiv said:
CRLeafSL said:
Also won't even consider it until I see a Liquid heating/cooling loop going to the battery. .. Plus it needs to get at least 200 mile highway range with heat or air going to be realistic. .
Your Tesla is awaiting your order at any time.. ;-)

desiv

I guess you missed the word "realistic" in my post. A Tesla, even though is a very nice car is just way out of reach for the average person. So Tesla at this point is not an option unless your going to buy it for me cause I certainly can't even afford a CPO used one. Maybe half of what the used ones are going for so Tesla in my opinion isn't realistic yet. They need to get the cost way down and if Nissan wants to stay in the lead with a long range affordable EV, then the MY16 should have had a much bigger battery upgrade than a measly 6kWh. That's almost a joke typing such a small increase.

CRLeafSL said:
I guess you missed the word "realistic" in my post. .
No, I didn't miss it..
I just find it interesting that people seem to say that they will only get XX car when it has YY features.
It's then pointed out that YY features are available in the Tesla, at which point people mention how expensive it is..

To which I usually think.. There's probably a connection there... ;-)

I do see prices coming down and features improving, but it'll take a few years (and not just a couple)..
I don't see a 200 mile car (REAL 200, with heat, at freeway speeds, etc) in 2 years at the price point people seem to be looking for.. I just don't see it. Leaf model 2 won't hit it, Bolt won't hit it...

And I think the Model 3 is a ways out still, and will cost more..
(Just my thoughts on those..)

So I think we're a good 4+ years from the affordable true 200 mile car..

(I'd love to be wrong tho...)

desiv

desiv said:
CRLeafSL said:
I guess you missed the word "realistic" in my post. .
No, I didn't miss it..
I just find it interesting that people seem to say that they will only get XX car when it has YY features.
It's then pointed out that YY features are available in the Tesla, at which point people mention how expensive it is..

To which I usually think.. There's probably a connection there... ;-)

I do see prices coming down and features improving, but it'll take a few years (and not just a couple)..
I don't see a 200 mile car (REAL 200, with heat, at freeway speeds, etc) in 2 years at the price point people seem to be looking for.. I just don't see it. Leaf model 2 won't hit it, Bolt won't hit it...

And I think the Model 3 is a ways out still, and will cost more..
(Just my thoughts on those..)

So I think we're a good 4+ years from the affordable true 200 mile car..

(I'd love to be wrong tho...)

desiv

Well then EV's are a long ways away from taking over the ICE vehicles which is the whole point of an EV. To get vehicles off of gas. You have to please the general public to get them to buy your product. That's what I expect in an EV and pretty much everyone I know. Actually 200 miles I still think is on the low side. I personally think they should be aiming more around the 300 mile range which is pretty much what any average ICE car can go on a tank of gas. Until I can hop into an electric and go as far as I can in a gas, I'm just simply not interested. Especially if I have to spend 3x to 4x the amount "aka the Tesla" to make that happen. That's not realistic. I know the technology of electric cars is still new, but come on this is 2015, not 1915. We have the technology to find breakthroughs to make this happen. IF we can't or the technology isn't there, then we are going in the wrong direction with Electric cars.

CRLeafSL said:
IF we can't or the technology isn't there, then we are going in the wrong direction with Electric cars.
I'd disagree there..
Just because something takes a while, doesn't mean it's not going to be successful.
But I'm patient.. ;-)

desiv

I'm patient to a point, but 5 years and a measly 6kWh gain? Are you serious? Should have been a 5 to 10kWh gain every year over the last 5 years. That's more realistic. So in that case the battery should be up to 50 kWh to 75 kWh. That I could accept. I can't accept 6 kWh increase in 5 years. That's embarrassing and if I was Nissan, I would be totally embarrassed to even make that small of an improvement. They failed in my opinion.

CRLeafSL said:
I can't accept 6 kWh increase in 5 years. That's embarrassing and if I was Nissan, I would be totally embarrassed to even make that small of an improvement. They failed in my opinion.
Although that's not just Nissan, that's pretty much everyone else too..
The fact is that until the rumors started spreading recently, most people here seemed to expect 0% increase in the MY16 Leaf.
Most seemed to be thinking that any increases would wait till the Leaf 2.

So, in my opinion, the extra few percent is icing.. ;-)
That said, it's not enough icing for me, so I will wait patiently for the Leaf 2..

desiv

CRLeafSL said:
I guess you missed the word "realistic" in my post.
CRLeafSL said:
Well then EV's are a long ways away from taking over the ICE vehicles which is the whole point of an EV. To get vehicles off of gas. You have to please the general public to get them to buy your product. That's what I expect in an EV and pretty much everyone I know.
Then the general public and everyone you know is just going to have to be "re-educated", and reassess their actual needs. That will happen, but over the course of years.
CRLeafSL said:
Actually 200 miles I still think is on the low side. I personally think they should be aiming more around the 300 mile range which is pretty much what any average ICE car can go on a tank of gas. Until I can hop into an electric and go as far as I can in a gas, I'm just simply not interested.
This is silly, if not unrealistic. One of the main reasons for "300-mile gas tanks" is that people do not want to visit gas stations so frequently. But the equation completely changes when you can just plug in at home and add one or two hundred miles overnight, every night. Only a small percentage of the population regularly drives over 100 miles in a day, let alone 200 or more.

CRLeafSL said:
I'm patient to a point, but 5 years and a measly 6kWh gain? Are you serious? Should have been a 5 to 10kWh gain every year over the last 5 years. That's more realistic. So in that case the battery should be up to 50 kWh to 75 kWh. That I could accept. I can't accept 6 kWh increase in 5 years. That's embarrassing and if I was Nissan, I would be totally embarrassed to even make that small of an improvement. They failed in my opinion.
The number that's "thrown around" for average rate of improvement in Li-ion battery (combined density and cost I believe) is something like 7% per year. Given that, what you "should" have expected, realistically, is closer to 1.5kWh/year capacity increase for the same cost of the Leaf's 21kWh battery, or 7.5kWh over five years. NOT 7.5kWh per year as you (and we all) might wish for. So I'd say that a 6kWh or ~25% increase for the same price is actually quite realistic in the real world. And if a 200-mile Leaf 2 comes out in 2017 at nearly the same price, we should be a bit amazed and grateful!

I will limp another 3-4 years in my 2011 and then see what's available. My original plan was to keep it 5 years or so from new, but with resale values so low it just makes more sense to drive it as long as possible.

Back