Discuss data from the LEAF Battery app, and Comparisons

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
mwalsh said:
42.99Ahrs.

Without some serious heat still to be had between now and late October, I'm starting to think that I'm going to be SOL on loosing bar 9. As of the last couple of mornings, I'm starting to see the fall recovery already (back up to 43.58AHr as of today!).
Interesting that still happens post P3227 :?
I am still pre-P3227 and the cool spell saw SOH increase 3% and AHr increase nearly 1.5.

Have you considered putting hot ICE in your garage ;)

Wow, that's a big step backward! 43.53 Ahr Friday. One or two more hot days coming. I hate knowing that I probably missed warranty replacement by a hair. I was in this same position last fall, and bar 3 didn't drop until March, nearly 2 Ahr lower than expected.

I haven't seen Ahr recovery yet, but I'm up to 187 GIDs on full charge. 5 temp bars in the morning; haven't seen that since April.

-Karl

I decided to take another reading once we had come back from Church - a far more reasonable (and expected) 42.87Ahr. The higher reading must have been erroneous, but I do wish I'd done a screen capture of the earlier reading now so I could prove that I wasn't seeing things.

You don't have to prove it, Mike. I see goofy readings quite frequently. Doing something minor like a top-off will often trigger false readings.

I let my car sit with a low charge this weekend and it gained 5 GIDs and 0.1 Ahr.

What I expect to see is a slow progression to less than 42 Ahr this winter... with the ninth bar intact until next March. If we have a cold winter, I won't be driving the Leaf.

43.20 Ahr tonight. 7 battery temp bars. I'm thinking that if I shirk all responsibilities, stay home this weekend and drive inefficiently, I could see 42.xx Ahr by Sunday. Hot weather is almost certainly done. Having battery capy in the 42s is no guarantee of 9th bar loss, but it has to help! Actually, the largest cluster of reported losers is in the 43.0 to 43.5 Ahr region.

My Ahr numbers are still swinging wildly - 43.28AHr immediately after charging this morning and then down to 42.90AHr after 8 miles of driving to the office. I've never seen that kind of behavior before and don't really know what to make of it - most of the time there is little (if any) variation in the AHr reading no matter what the state of charge.

mwalsh said:
My Ahr numbers are still swinging wildly - 43.28AHr immediately after charging this morning and then down to 42.90AHr after 8 miles of driving to the office. I've never seen that kind of behavior before and don't really know what to make of it - most of the time there is little (if any) variation in the AHr reading no matter what the state of charge.
Mike,
I realize that temperatures were on the increase in June rather than decreasing here at the start of Fall, but the commonality is that our battery capacity at 55,000 miles began to swing quickly up and down with the temperature changes... at least much more than I had noticed before. Our's bounced below 43 Ahr a couple of times and then up to ~43.5 with a "cooler" weather swing before finally dropping the 4th bar at 43.27 Ahr. The last 500 miles took almost 2 weeks driving with this variable battery capacity. Our 2015 replacement battery has remained "parked" on 66.1414 Ahr all summer when charged to "100%" and 268 Gid.
-- Bob

HighDesertDriver said:
Mike,
I realize that temperatures were on the increase in June rather than decreasing here at the start of Fall, but the commonality is that our battery capacity at 55,000 miles began to swing quickly up and down with the temperature changes... at least much more than I had noticed before. Our's bounced below 43 Ahr a couple of times and then up to ~43.5 with a "cooler" weather swing before finally dropping the 4th bar at 43.27 Ahr. The last 500 miles took almost 2 weeks driving with this variable battery capacity.
-- Bob

Thanks Bob! I was rather hoping someone had noticed the same kind of behavior before their bar 9 loss. In my mind I thought that might be an indicator of it being impending, and what you've said goes a long way towards confirming that could well be the case. I'm glad someone else was keeping track in the same semi-obsessive way! :D

Obsessing? Who's obsessing? I only check Ahr three times a day! Presence of 9th bar twice. Hate that stupid bar!

43.16 Ahr tonight. Love hot weather! The only reading I use is the one I see after I get home, shut down and then restart. My readings still very predictable. When Mike mentioned the big variations in Ahr, I was wondering if it indicated that bar loss was imminent... Hope it is so!

-Karl, who's hoping for 42.8 by Monday.

We don't for certain exactly know when folks have taken their readings after bar loss, but my bet is that in many cases the bar loss has been noticed immediately upon starting the car after that night's charge, and that's when they've taken their reading. It certainly has been for me, for all three bars I've lost so far. So the higher readings we've seen at the loss of bar 9 (Jeannie's for example) might have been taken in circumstances when a wild swing to the high side has been evident. Just a thought.

I've only been a once per full charge guy until now, generally immediately after charging. But as my numbers have been swinging wildly in the last few days I've become a twice-per guy, and will actually admit to taking 3 readings on the last full charge - first immediately after charging; the second 8 miles later to see what the number had settled to; and then a third reading later in the day to make sure there was little change with the pack nearly depleted (there wasn't - only 0.02AHr over the mostly full reading, well within what I perceive to be the margin of error).

Edit: Normal reading at completion of charge this morning. Actually, the same as when I checked at shutdown two nights ago - 42.88AHr.

I check for the loss of bar 9 every single time I start the car. Also hate that stupid bar. Only time I've ever desired being a "loser" so much I can taste it. :lol:

I've spent the last 10 days basically "stuck" at ~42.81Ahr*. Actually, ever since those odd couple of charges where my AHr readings swung wildly high. I did think that I saw 42.77AHr a week or so ago, but I apparently didn't note it down so I'm not going to swear to it.

Looks like we're going to get one more hot spell this weekend, but after that it could well be "game over" for summer heat.

*Forum software is apparently no longer allowing for a tilde?

After floating around 43.1 Ah for the last week or so I started the car up this morning and saw 43.7! :cry: But then after a 3 mile drive to drop the kids off at school it was back down to 43.15. Who knows how this thing operates... I feel like in the past such wild variation has preceded a big capacity drop, but maybe that's just wishful thinking. I just hope that if the "delay after threshold" theory is correct this momentary jump didn't reset the timer.

I'm definitely in the "obsessive" camp. I look at the Ah reading and check the bars every time I start the car, and sometimes find myself staring at them wistfully while driving even though I know they won't change. :sigh:

mwalsh said:
We don't for certain exactly know when folks have taken their readings after bar loss, but my bet is that in many cases the bar loss has been noticed immediately upon starting the car after that night's charge, and that's when they've taken their reading. It certainly has been for me, for all three bars I've lost so far. So the higher readings we've seen at the loss of bar 9 (Jeannie's for example) might have been taken in circumstances when a wild swing to the high side has been evident. Just a thought.

I've only been a once per full charge guy until now, generally immediately after charging. But as my numbers have been swinging wildly in the last few days I've become a twice-per guy, and will actually admit to taking 3 readings on the last full charge - first immediately after charging; the second 8 miles later to see what the number had settled to; and then a third reading later in the day to make sure there was little change with the pack nearly depleted (there wasn't - only 0.02AHr over the mostly full reading, well within what I perceive to be the margin of error).

Edit: Normal reading at completion of charge this morning. Actually, the same as when I checked at shutdown two nights ago - 42.88AHr.

I check for the loss of bar 9 every single time I start the car. Also hate that stupid bar. Only time I've ever desired being a "loser" so much I can taste it. :lol:

I don't pay attention to my aHr reading daily but I'm collecting that data several times day during my normal use of leafspy. Just looking at the log I have aHr data from May 16 2015 to Today with a typical day having 4 entries (I don't bother to turn on leafspy every time I take the car out of park but I do the majority of the times).

So usually I get readings for

1 Drive to work
2 Drive to lunch
3 Drive back to work
4 Drive home

I sometimes get

0 checking the charge in the morning from bed or as I'm getting ready
X additional random readings mixed in among the standard 4 when verifying a charge session started or just before I unplug

So the key will be how many times will I drive it without noticing the bar? I'll have the aHr data covered several times over but will I notice the dash change since I pretty much only look at leafspy for my range?

fwiw I'm just under 52 aHr (last reading on Oct 4th was 52.014 and first reading on Oct 5th is 51.981). So I'm waiting for bar 11 to go away in the next few weeks or so.

Just got a ODB2 and ran LeafSpy for the first time. Does this look typical for a 2013(4-13) model, driven in MI for first 14k miles, now in North Carolina in the mountains? Don't really understand what half of this data means. Should I run LSP app at 100% SOC?

14,136 miles
SOC 80%
AHr 59.42
SOH 90% 388.16V
Hx 90.67%
GIDs 205 73%
DTE 60%
3QC & 568 L1/L2 charges

thanks for any input, opinions

manich said:
Just got a ODB2 and ran LeafSpy for the first time. Does this look typical for a 2013(4-13) model, driven in MI for first 14k miles, now in North Carolina in the mountains? Don't really understand what half of this data means. Should I run LSP app at 100% SOC?

14,136 miles
SOC 80%
AHr 59.42
SOH 90% 388.16V
Hx 90.67%
GIDs 205 73%
DTE 60%
3QC & 568 L1/L2 charges

thanks for any input, opinions

Looks good to me. I bought my 2012 SL in the spring with much worse numbers (more miles, 83% SOH, one bar lost, lower aHr, etcetera).

I and many other Leaf owners would gladly swap packs with you. :)

Back