Discuss data from the LEAF Battery app, and Comparisons

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drees said:
mwalsh said:
And another reading today, in light of a rather unexpected 14 Gid pop from yesterday (from 208 yesterday to 222 today)
Did you happen to QC yesterday? I have found small temporary bumps in Ah/GID readings after a QC - I don't think I've been the first to notice this.

No. But it was an anomaly anyway. Gids bled off pretty fast from the get-go, and I got to the office with what I would expect under normal/current circumstances. I've had anomalously low Gid readings before but never an anomalously high one that I can recall.

Some early QC sessions, with at least my original pre-April 2011 firmware,
did seem to "unsettle" my SL, but I have not noticed anything strange lately.

I will try to watch for GID-Jumps, and check EV-GIDs vs CAR-bus GIDs
to see if there is any temporary different values.

The latest GID-Meter firmware (F1.10) reads GIDs from both buses,
using whichever CAN-bus is selected. (It also reads Tire Pressures...
See link in signature.)

I have observed some volatility in my 100% charge gid number, too, since the sw update (blue dots) on 7/10/2013. One morning, I didn't even get to 12 bars although the charge did complete otherwise normally. However, I have not noticed any correlation to my range or energy from the wall. Looks like it may be settling down but still too soon to say confidently...

file.php

Any reason almost all of my shunts would be on?
allshuntson.png

This was at a point where I was driving for a bit with normal usage. Seems strange. I have the logs if that would help.

kevinleaf said:
This was at a point where I was driving for a bit with normal usage. Seems strange. I have the logs if that would help.

Your battery is too healthy and has too much charge so your car is just trying to take you down a few notches and burn off that extra power. (Just kidding, just jealous of your capacity :)

kevinleaf said:
allshuntson.png

119% health?!?!?! Holy cow!
All shunts go on to bleed the pack down to whatever your lowest cell was whenever that decision was made (likely at the end of your last full charge).

Thanks all. Sorry for the multiple posts, I was posting in the wrong place.

Alright so the answer is the app is returning the right info, my battery is just too healthy? Nice!

I saw today I have 140 charges under my belt already. Seems like a lot for like 4 months of use. I charge it to absolutely full every time.

kevinleaf said:
I saw today I have 140 charges under my belt already. Seems like a lot for like 4 months of use. I charge it to absolutely full every time.
I think the L1/L2 charging is doubled compared to the actual number of charges. I think Turbo posted that the count gets incremented once when the EVSE is connected and then incremented again when it is disconnected.

jhm614 said:
kevinleaf said:
I think the L1/L2 charging is doubled compared to the actual number of charges. I think Turbo posted that the count gets incremented once when the EVSE is connected and then incremented again when it is disconnected.
I don't think that is correct. A charge event occurs when you plug in the car and it checks the available power or when it is charging. If you have a timer set it won't charge, but will add a charge event. So it is easy to get two charges for 1 plug in. I get three during the week, as I have an end timer set for 80 % and will send a Carwings request to start charging while getting ready for work. That way I can leave the house at 85% full. I don't have a timer set for the weekends, so I'm not sure if the initial plug in is a seperate count from the actual charge.

jhm614 said:
kevinleaf said:

I only know about QC. If you just plug it in and don't charge, the car will count it as a charge. At least the 2011 is this way.

For L1/L2, you will get 2 counts for a charge event if a timer is set and you plug in before the start time. If timer is not set or you plug in after start time, there will only be one count for the charge event. Also, the L1/L2 count will increment if you start climate control remotely or by timer if the EVSE is connected and charging has already finished. Basically, the counter increments each time the LEAF calls for the EVSE's contactor to close.

Gerry

GerryAZ said:
For L1/L2, you will get 2 counts for a charge event if a timer is set and you plug in before the start time.
Gerry
Do you mean a timer on the EVSE or the regular timer in the LEAF?

lukati said:
GerryAZ said:
For L1/L2, you will get 2 counts for a charge event if a timer is set and you plug in before the start time.
Gerry
Do you mean a timer on the EVSE or the regular timer in the LEAF?

The regular timer on the LEAF is what I was referring to. When a charging timer is set on the LEAF, the car will request power from the EVSE briefly after plugging in to determine the voltage and current available. It then turns off until the desired start time. The L1/L2 counter increments once for the initial power check and increments again when charging actually starts for a total of 2 counts associated with the single charging event.

Gerry

If able, please let us know what Ahr you record when you lose the 2nd bar; i had been trying to find some verification that it's around 51 Ahr.

mwalsh said:
mwalsh said:
6/22: AHr=54.07 CAP=81.61%
6/24: AHr=54.01 CAP=81.52%
6/25: AHr=54.12 CAP=81.68%
7/11: AHr=53.16 CAP=80.23%
7/12: AHr=53.30 CAP=80.45% Hlth=76.57%
8/26: AHr=52.54 CAP=79.30% Hlth=75.16%

9/11: AHr=51.49 CAP=78.49% Hlth=73.22%

opencar said:
If able, please let us know what Ahr you record when you lose the 2nd bar; i had been trying to find some verification that it's around 51 Ahr.

LOL! I've just spent like 30 minutes with the search engine trying to figure that out myself.

Edit: 91040 lost his second bar at 51.48 AHr:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8802&start=5929" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My car may not be a good indicator. Seems I didn't loose my first bar until quite a bit later than other people, so far as the AHr reading at the time of loss was concerned that is.

Edit 2: kolmstead lost bar 2 at 50.60 AHr. Guessing that'll probably be around where I loose mine:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8802&p=311957#p311957" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit 3: GregH indicated a spread of between ~54AHr and 55.6AHr for the loss of bar 12. I'm guessing he's pulled the data from various posts (my own bar 12 loss was between 54.01AHr and 54.07AHr). So if that's the spread for the loss of 12, the spread for the loss of 11 would appear to be ~50AHr to ~51.5AHr.

thanks for the search. I did the P3227 update right after I lost the first bar & got reset all the way up to 59+ Ahr. I'm still waiting to settle back to 54 Ahr (pre-update). i'm now at 57 Ahr after less than a week since the update.

mwalsh said:
opencar said:

LOL! I've just spent like 30 minutes with the search engine trying to figure that out myself.

Edit: 91040 lost his second bar at 51.48 AHr:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8802&start=5929" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My car may not be a good indicator. Seems I didn't loose my first bar until quite a bit later than other people, so far as the AHr reading at the time of loss was concerned that is.

Edit 2: kolmstead lost bar 2 at 50.60 AHr. Guessing that'll probably be around where I loose mine:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8802&p=311957#p311957" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit 3: GregH indicated a spread of between ~54AHr and 55.6AHr for the loss of bar 12. I'm guessing he's pulled the data from various posts (my own bar 12 loss was between 54.01AHr and 54.07AHr). So if that's the spread for the loss of 12, the spread for the loss of 11 would appear to be ~50AHr to ~51.5AHr.

Hi
I am currently at
AHr: 67,57 (hasn´t changed since availability of Battery app this spring)
"Hlth": 106.42 (has dropped from 109.xx in the same time)
Gids 100% between 274 and 276 (I think the old version of the app with calculated GIDs showed 280+)
31000 km

Battery temperature has been around 10-25 C this summer... before I have only once seen 6 TBs, usually 4, and in the winter sometimes 3. The car has been quick charged twice and as far as I know never gotten any update. I bought it new march 2012. Normal charges 1206 (according to the app...). But I usually charge to 80% and then set the timer to charge to 100% just before I leave work. Maybe that´s why the amount of charges is so high.

What I wonder is although the now LeafSpy app shows around 22 kWh at full charge and around 275 Gids the SOC shows only around 93%. Never more. Also the car has never been one of those hit 160 km easily cars. I have never driven more than 135 km on one charge even if the meter showed values of 0.11 kWh/km more or less constantly. I have however never hit turtle either. Now I drive with a roof box since last fall, so I can´t compare the values I have now with the ones I had the previous summer.

SwS
By the way my Leaf is mostly used in Tromsø, Northern Norway.

Turbo3, thanks for the great app! Paid for the pro version even after donating since I'm so grateful for the work you've done!

What I would really like to see is a "cloud" based logging and reporting option. I envision it being something simple like this. It logs at whatever interval and in addition to logging to a log file it logs to a queue. The queue is then submitted to the cloud whenever the phone has internet, for example at home via wifi. The website would then be able to provide historical views of the data logged. The nice thing about doing this via the web vs in the app itself is it allows a lot more functionality via a large screen, HTML/etc vs in app programming, sharing of information with others. This would also allow multiple apps to submit to the same site (iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, etc)

Then this also could be integrated with Plugin America's LEAF survey: http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/batteries/leaf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; This would allow a lot more precise analysis of the condition of LEAF batteries overtime vs the self reported values it's based on now.

Back