Discuss data from the LEAF Battery app, and Comparisons

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am working on something to view the log data and share with other users but progress is slow.

What I have been doing to get the data off my phone and somewhere more permanent for now is sync the folder with DropBox. The files in a dropbox-monitored folder are put into the "Cloud" anytime there are additions or a change. My computer monitors for changed files as well and downloads any changes.

To all users of Leaf Battery App (now Leaf Spy):

Please consider contributing information on battery capacity loss (strongly preferred you have the P3227 update first if your Leaf is 2011 or 2012) to this thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14275&p=324533#p324533" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The data is being used to help calibrate the Battery Aging Model. We have about 18 reports so far, but need a lot more. Thanks.

kevinleaf said:
I am working on something to view the log data and share with other users but progress is slow.

Stoaty said:
Please consider contributing information on battery capacity loss (strongly preferred you have the P3227 update first if your Leaf is 2011 or 2012) to this thread:

The data is being used to help calibrate the Battery Aging Model. We have about 18 reports so far, but need a lot more. Thanks.

Automated collection will solve this problem but in the meantime I'll get mine in for you!

Lost my 12th bar this morning.

55.12Ah
194 GIDs 80%

kacy.png

yvao.png

Is anyone in the Phoenix area willing to help me measure the 'state' of my battery? I know there are apps out there, but alas I have an Iphone. And I'm not sure I would understand what it all meant with respect to getting the battery replaced (my goal)

I've requested a new battery from Nissan, but they are following the new warranty and not budging until I'm at 8 bars. I've been at 9 bars for over a month and get the LBW after driving to and from work and kids' school (44 miles, 1/2 of it freeway) so on those days, I now switch cars with my husband so I don't run out of charge. I 'turtled' after 52 miles (80% freeway) in March, 2013.

I was hoping if I could demonstrate to Nissan that I'm at a certain point, they'd replace the battery now vs. making me adjust my driving habits to do my commute. Thoughts? I have not had the July 2013 upgrade to the system yet, but they did do a battery test last month. I'm not sure what the results mean in the big picture, but they denied me a replacement.

Thank you! Scottsdale Blue Leaf

scubasandy said:
Is anyone in the Phoenix area willing to help me measure the 'state' of my battery? I know there are apps out there, but alas I have an Iphone. And I'm not sure I would understand what it all meant with respect to getting the battery replaced (my goal)

I've requested a new battery from Nissan, but they are following the new warranty and not budging until I'm at 8 bars. I've been at 9 bars for over a month and get the LBW after driving to and from work and kids' school (44 miles, 1/2 of it freeway) so on those days, I now switch cars with my husband so I don't run out of charge. I 'turtled' after 52 miles (80% freeway) in March, 2013.

I was hoping if I could demonstrate to Nissan that I'm at a certain point, they'd replace the battery now vs. making me adjust my driving habits to do my commute. Thoughts? I have not had the July 2013 upgrade to the system yet, but they did do a battery test last month. I'm not sure what the results mean in the big picture, but they denied me a replacement.

Thank you! Scottsdale Blue Leaf

Sent you a PM.

mwalsh said:
6/22: AHr=54.07 CAP=81.61%
6/24: AHr=54.01 CAP=81.52%
6/25: AHr=54.12 CAP=81.68%
7/11: AHr=53.16 CAP=80.23%
7/12: AHr=53.30 CAP=80.45% Hlth=76.57%
8/26: AHr=52.54 CAP=79.30% Hlth=75.16%
9/11: AHr=51.49 CAP=78.49% Hlth=73.22%
10/2: AHr=51.81 CAP=78.98% Hlth=73.82%

10/8: AHr=51.58 CAP=78.63% Hlth=73.39%

Somebody smarter than me will have to explain why these numbers are better than September 11th and yet I lost bar 11 today.

It is known that there is a much wider tolerance for bar loss in the old software than with the new... Perhaps that has some bearing on it...

mwalsh said:
TomT said:
My educated guess is that, if you had the P3227 update, you would not have lost the bar yet...
I think you may be missing the point Tom. If I hit my car's threshold for bar loss today, I should have hit it back then, when I had even lower numbers.

mwalsh said:
mwalsh said:
6/22: AHr=54.07 CAP=81.61%
6/24: AHr=54.01 CAP=81.52%
6/25: AHr=54.12 CAP=81.68%
7/11: AHr=53.16 CAP=80.23%
7/12: AHr=53.30 CAP=80.45% Hlth=76.57%
8/26: AHr=52.54 CAP=79.30% Hlth=75.16%
9/11: AHr=51.49 CAP=78.49% Hlth=73.22%
10/2: AHr=51.81 CAP=78.98% Hlth=73.82%

10/8: AHr=51.58 CAP=78.63% Hlth=73.39%

Somebody smarter than me will have to explain why these numbers are better than September 11th and yet I lost bar 11 today.
I would not say I was smarter than you but I do know that the capacity bars have at least a 2 month lag over the AHr capacity metric thanks to an odd practice at my Nissan dealer (likes to reset me to 100% every time I take it in for service - AH recovers to the real value within a day but it takes months for the cap bars to reflect reality). So you crossed the threshold to lose it back in August (if not earlier).

Oh yeah... I forgot that there is some serious hysteresis in there! :roll:

TickTock said:
I would not say I was smarter than you but I do know that the capacity bars have at least a 2 month lag over the AHr capacity metric thanks to an odd practice at my Nissan dealer (likes to reset me to 100% every time I take it in for service - AH recovers to the real value within a day but it takes months for the cap bars to reflect reality). So you crossed the threshold to lose it back in August (if not earlier).

I have a demo of my Leaf Logger website available. I loaded a few of my recent trips up for testing. See:
http://www.liebwerks.com/LeafLogs/chart_demo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Select a trip in the top left pulldown menu and the graph of SOC, plot of the trip on a map and some trip data will appear, as well as a summary of the overall trip. It is still quite rough and I am not a graphic designer but the idea is here.
The data comes from the BatLog.txt that Leaf Spy saves is uploaded to the system and stored in a database.

Coming soon:
1. Ability to log in and upload your own data
2. Select whether your data is viewable by just you or by anyone who uses the site
3. Link to a specific trip (for sharing with the community)
4. Add annotations for your trip ("to the grocery store" or "longest range trip ever")
5. Health data

Longer term:
1. Compare multiple trips against each other
2. Additional graphs based on user feedback

Please feel free to offer feedback and suggest features. PM me with your email address if you would like to send me logs to upload and share until I have the login / self-serve upload ability complete.

Also let me know if this should be a whole new topic on this forum.

Great work, very nice, and very efficient trips, using no GIDs. :D
Yes, start a new thread, describing the overview, like the
above post, in the first post of the thread.

Then, describe the expected log format in post 2.
Describe the procedure for submitting logs in post 3.
Describe your access control, login, etc in post 4.
Put links to instructional and interesting or noteworthy
trips in post 5.
Use post 6 for notes about versions and features.
Use post 7 for usage instructions.
Use post 8 for hints on making logs.
Grab post 9 for current known problems and suggestions.
Finally, grab post 10 for miscellaneous.

Then, keep those posts updated over time.
Cheers, Gary

Thanks Gary. I'll try to do something along those lines but also include brief instructions in the website itself.

Where did you see "using no GIDs"? I suspect because there are a few flaws in the data because of a known bug in the Leaf Spy where it logs incorrect numbers in the first line. I believe this is getting or is fixed by Jim.

All the values for GIDs that I saw were zero.
Unknown why.

Since posts are editable by their author at any time, such
a set of posts gives you a way to organize your thoughts
and intentions, and get (usually constructive) feedback
from other potential users.

So far, what you have done looks great.
Please get a new thread started so we can discuss this there.

Back