Difference US vs. Europe models

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeamT

Does anyone know if the charging connectors and specifications are the same for the US and the European models? Would it be possible to import a US Leaf to Europe and charge it (the 120 / 240 V issue)?

I have some hope as I read that there are 240 V charging options available in the US.

Best Regards,
TeamT

TeamT said:
Does anyone know if the charging connectors and specifications are the same for the US and the European models? Would it be possible to import a US Leaf to Europe and charge it (the 120 / 240 V issue)?

I have some hope as I read that there are 240 V charging options available in the US.

Best Regards,
TeamT

Well, you wouldn't be able to use the provided trickle charger. Not the way it comes with the car at least (factory set to 120v). If you get it upgraded by Ingineer (evseupgrade.com), I dare say that you would be able to use it on a standard 240v outlet in Europe provided your electricity supply does not exceed 12A (or 16A with the rev. 2 upgrade) and you fit the correct plug.

Public charging...you're OK unless you live in a country that uses a Mennekies cordset. If you are, you'd need to buy a Mennekies to J1772 adapter cable in the aftermarket arena.

There are some threads going where folks have gone the import route - Spain, Germany, and Norway, if memory serves. There will also be issues of the telematics and nav systems not working properly (wrong kind of SIM card in the US cars). Oh, and the XM radio (US rough equivalent of DAB) won't work either.

Back