Did Tennessee Senator jump the line?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikeKen

I am wondering why I ... who paid the $99 for a reservation, had an April delivery date backtracked to May ... am still waiting for a Nissan Leaf when a powerful Senator (is there no privilege that an ordinary American can have that a Senator doesn't trump?) steps in and gets his leased Leaf ...
I am screaming SHENANIGANS. And I thought that the Nissan Leaf was a car for the people ...

For the article on the senator:
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/republican-senator-leases-electric-car.html#

If the Senator from Tennessee was influential in getting Nissan to build their plant in the U.S. I say give him 2 LEAFs.

It's likely that the Senator has people working for him. :)
If they're good smart folks, and the senator has expressed an interest in leasing a LEAF, then they tracked the process and got him in line.

Did Alyssa or Lance have to wait this long? You tell me.

sproqitman said:
This article from back in September indicates that the Senator was planning to lease one. I'm assuming that means he already had his reservation in.

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/13170091/senator-lamar-alexander-test-drives-nissan-leaf
The referenced article says Alexander "plans to purchase a LEAF," and that he's already had a converted plug-in Prius for two years. This indicates to me a certain predisposition towards EV's which gives him a few points in my book, even if some political spin is involved.

But the article also says "the LEAF is locally made in Smyrna," so who knows! :D :D

Glenn said:
But the article also says "the LEAF is locally made in Smyrna," so who knows! :D :D

Not yet... but it will be. Late 2012 Smyrna will come on line with ultimate capacity of 150,000 LEAFs. Now we're talkin'... :)

The question I have is: is it really true that he did not get the federal rebate, as the article claims?
Since, when you lease, the federal rebate is automatically taken by the dealer, did he really ask the dealer not to take the 7500 federal rebate? If so, how come his monthly payment is the same as mine (where the dealer took the rebate)?

Sorry to pick on this senator, who seems on the sane side compared to the latest crop of his GOP colleagues, but<flame on> as it seems to be a typical behavior in his party, they scream and yell about big government subsidies, but then line up to take them.</flame on>
garygid said:
Good observation.
Perhaps "he" (himself) did not take the tax credit, but the leasing company did!

Back