Degradation Issues with VIN 222. A MUST Read!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
i say.... about 68.3 miles more or less (GOM considered)

That's pretty much where I'm at, 36,400 miles 60 Mile trips with 2 CB gone (San Diego hilly hwys)
at avg 60 MPH. Topping 208 GID's

I got the Leaf used at 19,600 miles. No updates but with 12 CB as expected in San Diego. Both P updates were done a month later. With the San Diego climate and current mileage I'm on track.

She will get the new lizard packs in warranty soon most likely.

Fred

I'm not aware of what others are encountering looking at used Leafs, but this week I emailed with a local dealer who has a number of '11-'12's. I asked if they (dealer) had run the 'battery diagnostics' on each Leaf, or, did the factory before dealer purchase of them, and have a report available; if they knew the capacity of each pack.

His response:

"I know we have not done a battery test, not sure if they did at Nissan. So no I do not have a report for you. All are still under factory warranty so no real reason to run a test unless something was wrong."

"From the one's I have seen all still at 12 bars, you still get a battery warranty on all leaf's for capacity up to 100k miles."

So I wonder if some dealers even know what they are getting into; or, perhaps they do. Seems odd they wouldn't know about the battery test given the discussion on this forum (required 12m,24m,36m, etc testing; and; Nissan dealers have access to all records on the cars).

mr23 said:
I'm not aware of what others are encountering looking at used Leafs, but this week I emailed with a local dealer who has a number of '11-'12's. I asked if they (dealer) had run the 'battery diagnostics' on each Leaf, or, did the factory before dealer purchase of them, and have a report available; if they knew the capacity of each pack.

His response:

"I know we have not done a battery test, not sure if they did at Nissan. So no I do not have a report for you. All are still under factory warranty so no real reason to run a test unless something was wrong."

"From the one's I have seen all still at 12 bars, you still get a battery warranty on all leaf's for capacity up to 100k miles."

So I wonder if some dealers even know what they are getting into; or, perhaps they do. Seems odd they wouldn't know about the battery test given the discussion on this forum (required 12m,24m,36m, etc testing; and; Nissan dealers have access to all records on the cars).
Hard to tell what to do with that, dealers are liars on a good day. Used car dealers don't seem to have even that many good days.

mr23 said:

His response:

Just to be clear the capacity warranty is only 5 years/60k miles and doesn't kick in until more tha 30% of th capacity is lost or 4 bars are lost.

FWIW 68 miles is about what I'm getting on 11 bars and 54Ah. As always, YMMV. It would have been nice if the photo showed the average kWh/mi for that drive.

I think it would be helpful if the (new car) window stickers displayed range at average temperatures of -10F, 20F, 60F, and 100F.
That goes for the pure EVs as well as the hybrids.

mr23 said:

His response:

you are asking a specific question pertaining to a general group of cars so the answer you receive will address the lowest common denominator.

they know and how they know will become MUCH clearer later today when I update this thread.

DaveinOlyWA said:
you are asking a specific question pertaining to a general group of cars so the answer you receive will address the lowest common denominator.

they know and how they know will become MUCH clearer later today when I update this thread.
Still love you Dave and your contributions.
But way to be a tease :!: :D
Useless update yesterday that breaking news to be posted soon.
Bit like Nissan marketing four years ago, and ever sense :? :? :?

TimLee said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Still love you Dave and your contributions.
But way to be a tease :!: :D
Useless update yesterday that breaking news to be posted soon.
Bit like Nissan marketing four years ago, and ever sense :? :? :?

ya, well if I had full control over the flow of information, it would be different but the final piece with the details is still "on its way" I could post the ending but then that would be no fun now would it? :)

DaveinOlyWA said:
ya, well if I had full control over the flow of information, it would be different but the final piece with the details is still "on its way" I could post the ending but then that would be no fun now would it? :)
I recognize everyone has unavoidable constraints.
Even Nissan did.
But teasing that wastes people's time, and in Nissan's case grossly misled people, is counter productive :cry:

TimLee said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I recognize everyone has unavoidable constraints.
Even Nissan did.
But teasing that wastes people's time, and in Nissan's case grossly misled people, is counter productive :cry:

Ok, was waiting on more details about the testing process but I guess this will have to do for now

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2014/12/update-saga-of-vin-222-resolved.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For the impatient:

She's getting a new pack shipped from Japan. Has a LEAF loaner from the dealer in the mean time.

drees said:
She's getting a new pack shipped from Japan.
Correction. She's getting a new pack from Tennessee. Delay is because one of the components is on back order.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/seattlenissanleaf/permalink/882097691821669/?comment_id=882314801799958&offset=0&total_comments=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drees said:
Correction. She's getting a new pack from Tennessee. Delay is because one of the components is on back order.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/seattlenissanleaf/permalink/882097691821669/?comment_id=882314801799958&offset=0&total_comments=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow :!:
Two reports now of pending capacity warranty battery replacements being TN produced 2013 forward style. :D

Edit:
The other link below says she is not getting the new for 2015 model year heat resistant chemistry.
Maybe clearing out the older inventory?
But still a pretty good battery in Seattle area.

drees said:
drees said:
She's getting a new pack shipped from Japan.

sounds like the component on back order might be the adapter for 2011/2012 to use the 2015 style pack. If so good news for her and any that follow.

http://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-gets-replacement-battery-4-bar-loss/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TimLee said:
drees said:

Wow :!:
Two reports now of pending capacity warranty battery replacements being TN produced 2013 forward style and hopefully heat resistant chemistry :D

This makes the resolution for Jennifer all that much sweeter as the pack does have a bit more range than the 2011. This I expected. it was only a matter of time until the Japan packs ran out.

But the resolution only is for Jennifer's transportation issues. We still have consumer protection and disclosure issues that needs to be addressed. Normally things like this don't get fixed until someone takes it to court but that could take years before a resolution is hammered out. We need to get our local politicians involved. Get a grassroots movement going, educate as many people as we can because this will happen again to someone else and they may not have the support structure or the wits to ferret out a solution. We were really lucky we had Aaron and his employer who was so willing to help out.

The safe thing to do here would be to buy from a private party. I wouldn't think Joe Schmoe would know how to recalibrate a Leaf, but I could be wrong.

Back