Dealership Lies vs Truth

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyph

Hello everyone,

I am a new owner of a 2014 S with QC Leaf. However, I almost called the deal off when the finance manager told me that in order to be compliant with the terms of the lease, I will need to have 6 annual checks every six months with any dealership. Every other check (annual) will require a $300 maintenance package with them. I didn't believe them and did't have anything to dispute it. I turned down their $700 package but was pretty upset that this "low maintenance" vehicle requires $900 maintenance over 3 years of lease.

Can anyone tell me what is absolutely required maintenance with the dealership (or otherwise) in order to keep my warranty and lease? What is recommended only, and can be done at any non-dealer locations (or even by myself such as cabin filter)?

Thanks in advance. I tried to search but did not find any information that spell out exactly what is absolutely required and what is recommended or whether the dealer maintenance is required or not.

They are, of course, lying. You have to have the annual *free* (for the first two years) battery test, and aside from that the service is minor and can be performed by pretty much anyone, as long as it's documented. I'd post the name of that dealership.

One of the biggest Leaf Lies (TM) I can recall hearing about. That dealer is really afraid of BEV and the loss of income from routine maintenance since virtually none is needed. I changed the brake fluid and the cabin microfilter for around $125 after two years, plus a few tire rotations.

Required?

Just two free battery checks at 12 and 24 months. Cost of maintenance for 36 months should be zip, zero, nada, nil, nothing.

Of course if you want to have the dealer rotate tires, replace the cabin filter, flush brake fluid at your cost that is your choice.

Thank you everyone for confirming my suspicion. The dealership is Premier Automotive Nissan Kia in Fremont.

I have cancelled their first six month appointment to rotate my tires for 29.99. My tires on my ICE vehicles are NEVER rotated and it usually last 50k miles at least. I will throw them a bone and rotate it at the 12000 miles annual free check up.

They begged me for a stellar survey and I have replied to them asking them to come clean with me on the maintenance and I may be nice and give them a good survey. Otherwise, I'm going to give Nissan a piece of my mind about that dealership.

Wow! Premier Nissan in Fremont should be put out of business. I'd report the dealership to your California States Attorney for deceptive and misleading business practices, as well as reporting them to Nissan. I wonder how many other Leaf purchasers were abused by this dealership?

This one of the prime reasons to own an EV. Cuts out ALL the BS to over maintain the vehicle.
Don't worry they will probably send a coupon for an oil change at three months :lol: and that is not even needed for an ICE vehicle :roll:

I wonder if it's the same place this guy was from:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9613" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The stock tires do wear out pretty fast, so rotating them every 6 months isn't the worst idea, but anyone can do that, of course.

DoctorSaul said:
Wow! Premier Nissan in Fremont should be put out of business. I'd report the dealership to your California States Attorney for deceptive and misleading business practices, as well as reporting them to Nissan. I wonder how many other Leaf purchasers were abused by this dealership?

Unfortunately, they may not be the only one. My coworker who leased an SV ended up paying a $1100 maintenance package at Boardwalk Nissan because he was told that the maintenance was required. He bought the SV because he thought (mislead?) that the 6.6kw charger was not available in the S. I was surprised he was sold the 1100 maintenance package deal until I encountered the same sales tactic myself, albeit at a lower cost. This practice may be more widespread in Northern California than one dealership.

cyph said:
Thank you everyone for confirming my suspicion. The dealership is Premier Automotive Nissan Kia in Fremont.

I have cancelled their first six month appointment to rotate my tires for 29.99. My tires on my ICE vehicles are NEVER rotated and it usually last 50k miles at least. I will throw them a bone and rotate it at the 12000 miles annual free check up.
I went out of my way to not lease from Premier Nissan even they're closest to me (their Fremont and SJ dealer are supposedly sister dealerships) because my parents and I had a HORRIBLE shopping experience w/them in 08 for an Altima Hybrid. They way they treated us after I pulled out some printouts from Edmunds was ridiculous. We bought from another dealer.

That coupled w/a friend who had a bait and switch experience w/them also on an Altima Hyrbid (and ended up buying a Honda elsewhere) + someone else (active here in MNL) who told me his buying experience wasn't good (I asked "Premier?", his answer: "yes", my answer: "There's your problem.")
cyph said:
Unfortunately, they may not be the only one. My coworker who leased an SV ended up paying a $1100 maintenance package at Boardwalk Nissan because he was told that the maintenance was required. He bought the SV because he thought (mislead?) that the 6.6kw charger was not available in the S. I was surprised he was sold the 1100 maintenance package deal until I encountered the same sales tactic myself, albeit at a lower cost. This practice may be more widespread in Northern California than one dealership.
I leased mine from Boardwalk (not close at all for me) and my leasing experience was fine. But, their F&I person did try to push a costly maintenance package on me, which I declined. That's their job and some dealers are very pushy about all that stuff, others not so much. I don't sweat it too much since I've been thru the spiel a bunch of times and have done my research ahead of time.

The worst F&I pressure I experienced on that was when helping a friend buy a new '11 Prius (at end of '11) at Piercey Toyota. They were putting all sorts of very high pressure and psychological tactics on her. Unfortunately, that friend had never bought new and I was surprised she was going to finalize that deal that day, otherwise I'd have prepped her on what to expect...

1) Next time a dealer tries to sell you the maintenance package, ask to review the cars service manual with their service advisor and price out the intervals. Each car has the manual next to the owners manual. Then ask the stealer why are they deceiving you

2) Just as you're doing here, place your review and experience on Yelp. That really sticks it back to them.

The typical scam I experience is being told I'm in the extreme operating group vs the norm, requiring a brake flush yearly vs every two years.

My best scam story is a Toyota dealer asking me to complete a waiver form written in 1 point font in order to take a test drive. After reading it, I noticed it was authorization for them to perform a credit check....prior to a test drive!

If you follow the severe schedule in your maintenance book the cost is still fairly minimal. Rotate tires every 7.5k (so $20 bucks depending on where you get it done every 6 months), every year battery check (first two free, the remaining are around 70-$100 depending). And every 15k (so ~ every year) in cabin air filter and brake fluid which runs around $100-$150 depending. So really you are looking at $250-$300 assuming you include the battery check cost per year. That is if you follow the manual.

Nissan pretty much copied the severe schedule out of their ICE manual... Very little that triggers the requirement for severe maintenance exists in the EV world...

Pipcecil said:
If you follow the severe schedule in your maintenance book the cost is still fairly minimal.

I got my reply from them this morning "Take a look at the back of your contract."

What is this supposed to mean? Can they put terms of a contract on the backside in fine prints?

smkettner said:
Yes put the tires up to 40+ psi for best life but no need for the dealer to do this.

Agreed about the higher psi needed for good wear, at least on the Ecopias.

But, not sure the dealer would do it even if asked. During my last battery check they performed the complimentary inspection, and someone wrote in very large letters, "Tires should be at 36 PSI !!!", and underlined it 3 times. :lol:

...someone wrote in very large letters, "Tires should be at 36 PSI !!!", and underlined it 3 times.

I wish... the dealer I just used for service (Lia Nissan of Saratoga) inflated my new tires to 31.5psi, after I asked them for 38. The door jamb says 36.

What PSI do the TPMS come on at?

Nubo said:
smkettner said:
Yes put the tires up to 40+ psi for best life but no need for the dealer to do this.

Agreed about the higher psi needed for good wear, at least on the Ecopias.

But, not sure the dealer would do it even if asked. During my last battery check they performed the complimentary inspection, and someone wrote in very large letters, "Tires should be at 36 PSI !!!", and underlined it 3 times. :lol:

Back