Dealership Gouging for Orphan Leafs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTivo

Recently, I've been perusing CA dealerships for orphan Leafs. I thought I might get lucky and find something for $1,000 - $4,000 over MSRP. Today I found my first available orphan at a southern CA dealership. The sales manager was asking for $15,000 over MSRP!

My dealer said yesterday they sold one for $45k..He then told me that our Leaf could easily bring me $5k profit if i wanted to sell it..

I am not surprised. I rememer the diesel Rabbit from the 70's gas crunch and what they were going for. You could sell it used for more than you paid for it new.

MrTivo said:
Recently, I've been perusing CA dealerships for orphan Leafs. I thought I might get lucky and find something for $1,000 - $4,000 over MSRP. Today I found my first available orphan at a southern CA dealership. The sales manager was asking for $15,000 over MSRP!
Might be a high price but it is not gouging as there are plenty of transportation alternatives.

What's the color, model and options (if any)? If it matches the one I'm waiting for I would love to hear Nissan CS' explanation as why I'm waiting for the same car (June est delivery) after they told me that all the orphans were being grabbed back by Nissan to fill the skipped over Sept-Dec orders.

MrTivo said:
When supply is constrained, you can bet that they will try to find someone with a surplus of demand.

MrTivo said:
This kind of thing would be the norm if Nissan had not gone with the reservation system and RAQ that they did. Good concept Nissan, but poor execution.

MrTivo said:

this "Dealer Demand Markup" reminds me of when the 240Z came out in the 70's, or the Honda Civic and then Accord first appeared in the late 70's. It is all supply and demand. I wish I had ordered 2 leafs, one would almost pay for the other!

mossyleaf said:
I think the "market" for an orphan in CA is about 42k right now with access to the 5k rebate.
I heard that Mossy has two orphan Leafs is that true?

Just called Mossy and found out that they have an orphan black SL+QC that they are asking a mere 7k premium for.

A used one sold on ebay for $40,100. I believe that car would be ineligible for both the CA and Federal credits (which are up to $12,500).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120714665752#description

LALeaf said:
Just called Mossy and found out that they have an orphan black SL+QC that they are asking a mere 7k premium for.
I tell you what, I'd pay $7k to have the last year of handwringing back.

Between all the ship tracking, phone calls, angst-fueled email, and tea-leaf reading, that works about to about minimum wage.

I have a hard time looking down on someone who just cuts a check and drives off in a Black LEAF without a worry or delay.

GroundLoop said:
LALeaf said:
I tell you what, I'd pay $7k to have the last year of handwringing back.

Between all the ship tracking, phone calls, angst-fueled email, and tea-leaf reading, that works about to about minimum wage.

I have a hard time looking down on someone who just cuts a check and drives off in a Black LEAF without a worry or delay.
Agreed. Plus in California you buy now you still get $5000 back, that those of us who are waiting on June/July deliveries may just miss. So no reserving, waiting, calling Nissan CS, tracking ships, etc. etc. for a mere $2k expense, good deal.

Not sure to believe this but, I called my dealer today and the salesman told me that many other dealers (not his, of course) are actively trying to get their pre-ordered customers to cancel their order after their Leaf had arrived at the dealership. The purpose is that as soon as the dealer takes possession, its their car, orphans after delivery to the dealer stay with the dealer and do not go back to Nissan (Nissan CS told me the same and said if an order is cancelled before it gets to the dealer then NIssan keeps it and assigns it to a existing order, if that is the case I doubt its done in order sequence . . . why start now).

Since most of the ordered cars were at ordered at or below MSRP, and since dealers are selling the orphans well above MSRP, its a good motivation to get people to cancel after delivery. Now the part that I find hard to believe is that he also said that the way that they are getting people to cancel is by adding a lot of dealer installed options (pin stripes, coatings, etc.) and by offering only very high interest rates. I would really hope Nissan wont stand for a dealer doing that to an ordered car, but then again Nissan really doesn't seem to care too much about their customers.

Back