Dead Battery / Updated Programming?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allergyking

Went to head out for the day and my Leaf was completely dead.

Got on the forum, read how to, popped the hood and charged the 12v battery for 10 minutes.

Popped the charger door, charged level 2 for 30+ minutes (already had about 60% when it came back to life)

Noticeable differences afterwards:::

• new dinging sounds at power on and off

new display movement at power on

time display set to military

charging timers no longer working, now when i plug in it starts charging immediately instead of waiting until 1am.

Did Nissan push an update? Or did I unknowingly leave some kind of power on and drain the 12v battery all the way.

not an update, your 12v battery is low/dead.

Time to replace the 12v and while you are at it grab a CTEK 4amp smart charger and make a plan to charge the 12v several times a year on a regular schedule to make the next battery last longer.

Yep, power loss = systems memory loss. You'll probably also find that the drivers windows express up doesn't work anymore either.

dhanson865 said:
Time to replace the 12v and while you are at it grab a CTEK 4amp smart charger and make a plan to charge the 12v several times a year on a regular schedule to make the next battery last longer.
Would you suggest something like this one at Amazon that has a desulfator thats supposed to extend battery life even more? I have a similar one on a ICE vehicle that gets only yearly use and I haven't had to replace the battery in the last 6 years. Now I believe for maximum benefit your supposed to leave the charger on all the time but I'd think a 24hr or so charge every once in a while might also help our Leaf 12v Battery?
http://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDer-Charger-Maintainer-Desulfator-System/dp/B00D7HZ6FC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1459960850&sr=8-3&keywords=12v+battery+minder

jjeff said:
dhanson865 said:
Would you suggest something like this one at Amazon that has a desulfator thats supposed to extend battery life even more? I have a similar one on a ICE vehicle that gets only yearly use and I haven't had to replace the battery in the last 6 years. Now I believe for maximum benefit your supposed to leave the charger on all the time but I'd think a 24hr or so charge every once in a while might also help our Leaf 12v Battery?
http://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDer-Charger-Maintainer-Desulfator-System/dp/B00D7HZ6FC

No, I recommend the http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-864-Automatic-Battery-Charger/dp/B006G14FK8

You want one that plays nice with SLA batteries, the cheaper bateryminders don't play nice with batteries that are common in hybrids and EVs.

All the CTEK models desulafate, that is part of the reason I recommend them.

Another plus of a 4 amp unit is it can stay ahead of the vampire drain on a Tesla. If you keep your CTEK for years down the road a 4 amp unit will likely be strong enough for cars that you haven't bought yet. The 1.5 amp unit you linked to wouldn't be able to charge the battery on cars with a 2 to 3 amp vampire drain.

I just can't see any reason to buy a cheaper unit than the 4.x amp CTEK, it seems like a good way to waste money buying something that has limited use and then having to buy a better one later for a different battery style.

Back