DCFC charge to 98%?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theds

Today I had my first charging session with DCFC. I started with ~30% and when I returned to the charging station 30 min later, expecting it had been stopped at 80%, the car was still charging. I waited another 10 min or so and the charging was stopped at 98%. Did Nissan changed the way how DCFC works?

I have a 2014 SV+QC.

My 2013 never stops charging at 80%. I'm not sure if it does even if I have the 80% setting enabled, and certainly not if I have a charge timer set up. DCQC is a whole different beast, and I'm grateful. If I plug into a fast charger, I want it to keep pumping in electrons until it's full or I unplug it, especially since I probably spent $5-7.50 on that charge.

So when Nissan say it takes DCFC ~30 min to charge to 80%, they are really talking about the charging rate for the first 80%, and don't imply that charging will stop at 80%. It did appear the charging rate decreased significantly after 80%.

theds said:
Today I had my first charging session with DCFC. I started with ~30% and when I returned to the charging station 30 min later, expecting it had been stopped at 80%, the car was still charging. I waited another 10 min or so and the charging was stopped at 98%. Did Nissan changed the way how DCFC works?

I have a 2014 SV+QC.
Yes, unlike the '11-12 LEAFs, the '13+ LEAFs don't stop at 80%, they keep on going until you manually stop the charge or the QC station stops the charge.

drees said:
theds said:

I have a 2014 SV+QC.
Yes, unlike the '11-12 LEAFs, the '13+ LEAFs don't stop at 80%, they keep on going until you manually stop the charge or the QC station stops the charge.
Even the QC's at the Nissan Dealerships?

hill said:
As far as I a aware, yes. Someone reported that after the P3227 update the '11-12 LEAFs would also charge past 80% when charging from under 50% but I don't think anyone else has confirmed it. I rarely QC and I typically only QC long enough to get where I need to go which hasn't required going past 80% yet. The difference in SOC the QC reports and what the car reports still definitely gets bigger when QCing from under 50% as it approaches 80% which would suggest that the behavior hasn't changed post P3227 update.

hill said:
drees said:
theds said:

I have a 2014 SV+QC.

Yes. I've used one at a dealership once and got to about 87% before I left, and I frequently use a Nissan-donated charger in Salem for charging past 80%.

drees said:
theds said:

I have a 2014 SV+QC.

I used the quickcharge at a local Nissan Dealer and the car was set to only charge to 80%. At 80% it stopped charging.

MikeinDenver said:
drees said:
theds said:

I have a 2014 SV+QC.

I used the quickcharge at a local Nissan Dealer and the car was set to only charge to 80%. At 80% it stopped charging.

Yeah, that makes sense. That's why I keep my car set to 100% and only do 80% with the charge timers. That way quick charging always goes all the way and it's as simple as hitting the timer off button any time I want a full charge.

Back