creep

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brainwave ... :!:

How about making an EV with a pretend clutch and gear stick!

That way people who don't like autos could have a car that rolls away down the hill, and you can artificially back the torque off in each speed range and they have to press the clutch and change gear to go faster.

You can even make it 'stall' or judder if they don't get the clutch out at the right time.

Why pretend it is an ICE auto? Why not pretend it is an ICE manual!! It would be easier to replicate the behaviour of a manual car, and, by the logic above, would be even safer!

You could have a toggle option to play an engine note through the sound system that varies engine note and volume and help them time their 'gear change'

:D

donald said:
Brainwave ... :!: How about making an EV with a pretend clutch and gear stick!
This would have taken away some of my trepidation to moving to an EV! I miss my stick!

I would be annoyed without the creep. VERY VERY convenient. one of the FEW things I like about automatics (virtually all my cars are manual transmissions as they are much cheaper easier to maintain and get far far superior fuel economy. I will enver give my my geo metro. 65mpg baby!)

anyway creep is a luxury feature to me and I really like it. I use it ALL the time where it prevents me from having to dicker with the accelerator. I just feather the brake as needed and move along.

the creep gives me a fineness of control that is virtually impossible with my "foot" on the accelerator no matter how careful you are.

when I test drove my first ev it was the first thing I tested. would it creep (I was curious how they dealt with that of all strange this to come to mind from a person who primarily drives a stick shift vehicle)

If it was implemented to act exactly like a torque converter car, I would agree with you. I think that is questionable, though, and see no reason at all not to have an option to deselect it when you want.

alanlarson said:
A sad day when many drivers are so out of touch that they can't comfortably drive with a manual transmission.
Disagree w/"out of touch". My driving w/stick is horrible. I guess I'm "so out of touch" as are many of my friends, coworkers and acquaintances. :roll: My last driving experience w/stick was when a friend loaned me his car (partly so that I could practice and learn driving stick better) while he was on vacation. After an hour or two, I was done. No thanks. No need for this.

I've driven probably 200K miles or near it and never had any major accidents and have never totaled a car. Only one accident was my fault and was minor. I've only received one moving violation ticket. (knock on wood)

It's the 21st century! In this day and age of single-speed transmissions, automatics, CVTs, etc. why do we even need manuals? According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_transmission" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, the automatic transmission was invented sometime between 1924 and 1932. The Leaf has no other gear ratios nor any means to change them.

Over 90% of cars sold in the US are sold w/automatics w/most models not even offering manual as a choice.
donald said:
If it was implemented to act exactly like a torque converter car, I would agree with you. I think that is questionable, though, and see no reason at all not to have an option to deselect it when you want.
See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=381216#p381216" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

cwerdna said:
alanlarson said:
A sad day when many drivers are so out of touch that they can't comfortably drive with a manual transmission.
Disagree w/"out of touch". My driving w/stick is horrible.
Agree. There are 'good' manual cars, and 'bad'. In fact, I bought exactly the same model of car for my wife as I had, a few years back. She had a hell of a time with that car (used to autos), and I drove it less than her but had to agree. The same model, even, and mine was smooth as silk, hers was rough as a hog's back. We sold that one and I still have mine!

Not all clutches and gear-changes are equal!

cwerdna said:
donald said:
If it was implemented to act exactly like a torque converter car, I would agree with you.
See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=381216#p381216" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Though I understand the logic for the general case, I still can't see why a de-selection option could not be installed. The car could automatically enter 'creeping' selection when starting up, and also re-enter it after X mins on a manual selection if necessary.

Treat driver's as being stupid and they'll act stupid.

nerys said:
...the creep gives me a fineness of control that is virtually impossible with my "foot" on the accelerator no matter how careful you are.

I get a much finer level of control without creep in either an i3 or Model S than I ever did with creep.
Of the Tesla owners I know, I believe there is one that has set the car to creep. All the others prefer it off.

It would be nice to be able to reduce the amount of creep, that's for sure. I had to drive home over I-5 at about 16:00, the day before yesterday, and the creep was way too fast for freeway travel. I had to keep riding the brakes, and was kind of concerned that using the brakes that much would deplete my charge (the unplanned errand had me uncomfortably low), since it felt like the creep drive doesn't shut off at low speeds, even though the friction brakes are on.

Two of the things I loved about the long term i3 driving experience were the total lack of creep and the one pedal throttle control including strong regen. I virtually never touched the brake pedal!
It felt so wrong when I eventually got back in to my Leaf and drove it...

Back