Crashed the nav system: anyone else?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had both Toyota and Nissan nav systems, and have to give the nod to Toyota. Better address search, better routing, better display.

That said, I understand the LEAF nav is new software, and certainly newer model year, so I hope it shines. They each tend to have problem-spots.
Hopefully the rewriteable SD card will allow for less expensive map updates. I paid $250 for the latest Toyota DVD! Yikes.

I know I could buy a TomTom/Garmin unit for that much, but then you have to wait for it to boot, put it away in sketchy parking areas, deal with wires, and lack the integration with the rest of the car (like steering and speed).

is this the "what is right/wrong" with Nav?

ok; i like the multiple view options. the 3d works great in dense city driving. the Prius does not have the option.

the POI's; why bother if you cant tell me what they are? the Prius, touch the POI, it tells you what it is and in many cases, allows you to call them. the Leaf, does nothing. just symbol that tells you a restaurant is there. am i doing this wrong? i have not read the manual, but did not read the Prius manual. this nav is much harder to work.

it does have labels for all kinds of stuff. buildings, lakes, parks, etc. that the Prius does not have. in my area, there are hundreds of "lakes" which up to now, i considered half of them to be wetlands drainage areas (anyone in the Pac NW knows this) or "retention ponds" to everyone else, but the Leaf is assigning names to these things. names i have never heard before...not that i even tried to keep up with the names of all of them. right now, they all have water in them. would be interesting to see how many of them are still wet come summer.

Essiemme said:
Hey, it was a joke, where's your sense of humor ??

It happens I'm a great fan of Microsoft, though...

;)
Well, unless you use a wink ;) - we can never tell.

Bow that you used a wink, I'd have to take your second sentence as a joke ;)

I must be one of the few who prefer 2D to 3D map views... Perhaps it is years of reading marine charts or aircraft sectionals, but I just get much better situational awareness and relative positions from a 2D view.

DaveinOlyWA said:
the 3d works great in dense city driving. the Prius does not have the option.

I have a software bug in my Nav system when I try to enter a destination address. My dealer says he has never seen it happen before.

1) When I go to the DESTINATION screen - the STREET ADDRESS and PLACES boxes do not show up. Back out a few times and then it does come up
2) Press STREET ADDRESS button - then try to enter the destination address. Random things happened today ...
3) Street name - got 2 letters in - and the entry screen switched to numeric only - and locked up
4) Tried again - got the street name in - up to AV of AVE or AVENUE - and locked up.
5) So, I tried to use that street address a third time - got the street in - but it would not accept a city name.
6) So - I gave up.

I am awaiting a call from my Nissan service rep. Has anyone had this problem?

WhisperLeaf said:
I have a software bug in my Nav system when I try to enter a destination address. My dealer says he has never seen it happen before.

1) When I go to the DESTINATION screen - the STREET ADDRESS and PLACES boxes do not show up. Back out a few times and then it does come up
2) Press STREET ADDRESS button - then try to enter the destination address. Random things happened today ...
3) Street name - got 2 letters in - and the entry screen switched to numeric only - and locked up
4) Tried again - got the street name in - up to AV of AVE or AVENUE - and locked up.
5) So, I tried to use that street address a third time - got the street in - but it would not accept a city name.
6) So - I gave up.

I am awaiting a call from my Nissan service rep. Has anyone had this problem?

Nope.. that would be pretty serious.

If I had to guess, it sounds like your car thinks you are in motion.
These 'symptoms' are similar to what I see when I'm trying to enter nav destinations at a stoplight.

That would mean either your GPS indicates motion, or the speed sensors are wonky?

evnow said:
Essiemme said:
mmmmmmm

Sounds like Microsoft to me...
Sounds like you are prejudiced preventing rational thought.

No, it's Microsoft:

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2010/10/microsoft-lands-nissan-leaf-updates-aut.html

Making assumptions based on historical performance seems rational to me. Doesn't mean your assumptions will be right 100% of the time, but it's a logical place to start.

While it is not the norm in the automotive space, does anyone think Nissan will push out periodic software/feature updates to their navigation system, since it does have M2M connectivity?

SparkyEV said:
Making assumptions based on historical performance ....
That is the meaning of prejudice.

If we go by this "logic", all EVs are slow moving golf carts. Why are you interested in EVs ?

Happened to me last week. About the same steps (use nav while backing up), about same symptoms (except the rear camera stayed on while moving forward for a few seconds - like on a Model S where it's a feature) and same resolution (stop and restart the car)

photo2.jpg

TomT said:
I must be one of the few who prefer 2D to 3D map views... Perhaps it is years of reading marine charts or aircraft sectionals, but I just get much better situational awareness and relative positions from a 2D view.

DaveinOlyWA said:
the 3d works great in dense city driving. the Prius does not have the option.

+1

Back