Crashed the nav system: anyone else?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlynch3

1. Set a destination in the nav, didn't hit start

2. Shifted into reverse, camera engages

3. Backed up, shifted into drive

4. Camera turned off, but predictive outlines stayed on

5. All system buttons unresponsive

6. Restarted car, everything was fine...

I have not come to bash Microsoft, but this is a windows embedded platform, after all... I just want to know if anyone else has has a similar crash... it didn't lose the destination I had keyed in, didn't lose any other data, but a crash in an automotive system is never a good thing...

jlynch3 said:
I just want to know if anyone else has has a similar crash... it didn't lose the destination I had keyed in, didn't lose any other data, but a crash in an automotive system is never a good thing...
The steps you describe look like the normal usage of Leaf - I'd say if this had happenned before, we would have known.

I'd definitely lodge a bug report with Nissan.

How do we know it is a Microsoft OS?

Of course, if it was Apple, we would know because it would not let you enter any destinations at all, knowing better than you where you should go...

Essiemme said:
mmmmmmm

Sounds like Microsoft to me...

:lol:

My Nav system is unhappy with me, it says "No Destination". Which might be a comment on my life. Frankly, the map is so awful that I haven't looked it for almost three weeks. It's too embarrassing to show anyone else. A friend with a Honda Civic saw it and commented on how little detail it had. Many of the roads I drive simply aren't shown, although they are identified correctly in the text at the bottom of the map. Confirms my theory that you shouldn't buy Nav in a car; buy an aftermarket unit instead.

I tried setting my workplace as a charging point, and it hated that... a lady's voice kept saying "No Index", or "No Reference", or something like that. Took me days to calm her down. Too much like a bad marriage.

So, I won't be using Nav much, I think. My center screen spends most of its time displaying energy consumption, as I try and figure out the climate control system. You can set it to Auto, but then touching any other button makes it Not Auto, but what does that mean?

The car's still a kick. Driving it is much more rewarding than playing with the computers. I can almost guarantee you that in another month or so, I'll be using nothing but the car, the audio and the climate control. The rest is just fluff.

-Karl

I guess it depends on what brand of Nav you have in the car. I have a built-in Nav for my 2004 Toyota Sienna and I like it very much. It can find pretty much all the addresses I put in there. I use it a lot when I drive to L.A., Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, SD, Las Vegas, etc..very helpful. Funny, after using this, I would never buy an aftermarket and have wires dangling all over the place. I also like the backup camera. I was hoping the LEAF would have similar NAV, but I guess not.

kolmstead said:
Many of the roads I drive simply aren't shown,

just wondering, did you try to zoom-in to see more details? Maybe the Nav is zoomed out

I'm not hearing many positive comments on the NAV. My 2006 Acura TL had a great NAV, I can't believe that six years later Nissan can't do better than that but it seems worse.

Agreed. The nav in our MDX is excellent.

EVDRIVER said:
I'm not hearing many positive comments on the NAV. My 2006 Acura TL had a great NAV, I can't believe that six years later Nissan can't do better than that but it seems worse.

Anyone knows how other Nissav Navs are ?

BTW, Navteq that Nissan uses is the standard provider that others like Garmin use as well. Fairly sure thats what Honda uses.

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-HondaNorthAmerica-Site/-/-/-/Default-Start

That makes sense, my friend's Honda Odyssey Nav is horrible. He got lost in Tahoe because the road is not showing up when entered but you can clearly see it on the map, weird. I'll pick my Sienna Nav anytime and mine is 6 yrs older. Go figure.

trentr said:
That makes sense, my friend's Honda Odyssey Nav is horrible. He got lost in Tahoe because the road is not showing up when entered but you can clearly see it on the map, weird. I'll pick my Sienna Nav anytime and mine is 6 yrs older. Go figure.
Toyota uses navteq as well (not sure, but a search brings up a ton of results - though not on navteq website).

People... this is NOT a comment about the accuracy of the maps... the microsoft-based system that RUNS THE ENTIRE TELEMATICS/AUDIO/NAV system crashed. I will assume from this thread that no one else has experienced this, so I will 'lectric my way down to my local dealer to figure out why it happened to me...

Most likely the LEAF Nav does not "fully" cover the entire USA, leaving out the details in some of the less-populated areas ... details used for routing. The area 100 miles East of Bakersfield is most likely one of those "forgotten" regions, whereas the LA area and SF Bay area are fully detailed.

My 2010 Prius Nav has the same problems, MANY (usually smaller, more rural) areas are just "map shadows", but not detailed enough for a "full" Nav function. At least the Prius has a "Region-Selection" map function that displays eash (usually multi-state) region, showing what parts of the region are fully-detailed areas.

When $100 portable GPS Nav systems typically contain the full map, where all streets can be routed, it is pathetic that the $1800 Prius (and apparently the Nissan) Nav systems have only "partial" coverage.

Yes, I would complain to Customer Service.
We should expect better!

jlynch3 said:
People... this is NOT a comment about the accuracy of the maps... the microsoft-based system that RUNS THE ENTIRE TELEMATICS/AUDIO/NAV system crashed. I will assume from this thread that no one else has experienced this, so I will 'lectric my way down to my local dealer to figure out why it happened to me...
Well that sounds like a good solution. Based on the comments in here, I would use an Apple computer and google maps to find your way there. :D

Yes, the "Destination-not-Started" is a crash.

However that crash might be due to the Nav application resuming, or the OS handling of the running application(s).

If nobody else can re-create it, your system could have a bad memory chip. Or, it could be a data-bug that you happened to find, but no others use.

The lack of full map-coverage is a totally different problem. NavTeq has all the roads, but for some reason (DVD space in the case of Prius), parts of the "full" map appear to have been "trimmed". Apparently the makers of these Nav systems do not care very much about those living in, or visiting, the "trimmed" 50% (or so) areas.

Does the LEAF Nav Manual indicate that some areas are not sufficiently covered?

Back