Crashed my LEAF, maybe totalled :(

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crashed my 2013 SL :( Leased the car around June 1 and it has about 5000 miles on it. The body shop came back with an estimate of $18,600 for repairs, but notes that there may be additional damage once they get into it. I think this can't possibly be worth repairing, but I don't know how it works with a lease.

Does anyone know what Nissan will want to write the car off? I guess the market value is considerably less than the residual value the lease is based on, but that may be irrelevant. After the federal rebate, I could buy a new SL for around $25,000, so the market value of a used one can't be much more than $20,000, at best.

Also, does anyone know what the salvage value might be? The batteries are undamaged, so the salvage value ought to be pretty good.

I like the car a lot and will get another as soon as possible if it is totalled...

I know there are several other crash threads, but don't see any with this information. Thanks for any help.

leaf.jpg

maxima.jpg

If it's a lease, you don't care. They absolutely will total this car... no question in my mind. Let them take it and you get another one. Simple, end of problem, no waiting for repairs.

I sure hope you didn't put a down payment down on a lease... 'cuz it's gone now. Enjoy your next new car.

lostinthetrees said:
Thanks for the quick response, Tony. I just got the estimate today, and will talk to the adjuster tomorrow. Hopefully you're right.

Tell the adjustor that you wouldn't feel safe in an electric car that has been this damaged. What if you get electrocuted and die?

You'll have a new car on Wednesday.

Ouch!
TonyWilliams said:
If it's a lease, you don't care. They absolutely will total this car... no question in my mind. Let them take it and you get another one. Simple, end of problem, no waiting for repairs.

I sure hope you didn't put a down payment down on a lease... 'cuz it's gone now. Enjoy your next new car.
Yep.

At least it was another Nissan involved.... looks like a Gen 5 Maxima (00-03 model year). Looks like it was an SE trim, judging by the # of spokes on their wheels.

TonyWilliams said:
lostinthetrees said:
Thanks for the quick response, Tony. I just got the estimate today, and will talk to the adjuster tomorrow. Hopefully you're right.

Tell the adjustor that you wouldn't feel safe in an electric car that has been this damaged. What if you get electrocuted and die?

What is so dangerous in this damage? At picture there is only right side (mostly doors) are damaged. What can be so dangerous inside those doors?

Den said:
What is so dangerous in this damage? At picture there is only right side (mostly doors) are damaged. What can be so dangerous inside those doors?

You don't really know what other damage is underneath like a cracked battery module or even a bent frames since he got hit dead on from the side.

Wennfred said:
Den said:
You don't really know what other damage is underneath like a cracked battery module or even a bent frames since he got hit dead on from the side.

Then every Leaf (or other EV) crash should lead to totaling the whole car, as "you never know..."
And insurance will cost times more than usual car.

As I've mentioned in other crash threads, I work in auto insurance claims, and still have my appraisers license. First, hope everyone is OK. Yes, the car is definitely a total loss. No doubt about it.

Don't even concern yourself with salvage value. You don't want to go down that road. It's not up to Nissan to total the car or not, it's up to your insurance adjuster. As for the payoff amount, they're going to pay the current actual cash value of the car.

TonyWilliams said:
lostinthetrees said:

It certainly hasn't worked out that way for us. 3 weeks later and we're without a replacement and no hope of getting anywhere near our previous lease deal.

We did total our 2013 SV. A full size commercial van didn't see the red light at all and ran through the intersection at 50 mph. Very lucky they didn't t-bone us or we'd have been in the hospital. As it was, all four of us walked away with minor injuries and a very totaled LEAF. It looks really bad. The LEAF did great. No intrusion into the passenger compartment. Battery undamaged. I assume Tony is joking, trying to fan the flames (so to speak) of those who don't understand EVs to try and get the vehicle totaled.

I was worried because we have/had such an exceptional lease deal of only $205/mo.

I've been told there are two options.
1) The normal case is that the insurance company works with NMAC (which owns the car). NMAC comes up with a payoff amount which is generally the residual you have on the lease + payments left. The insurance company values the car. The insurance company pays NMAC the value of the car.

If the insurance payment is not enough to pay off the car, NMAC leases all have 'gap' insurance built in which will cover the difference. If there was no gap insurance, you would be liable for the difference.

Because there is gap insurance, whatever the insurance company pays NMAC for the car is enough and will end the lease.
You should still pay the lease until the car is declared totaled and that process is well in hand.

2) The second case involves "substitution of collateral". In this case, they find another vehicle that they can substitute for your and continue your existing lease.

We very much wanted to do this, but turns out not so easy. For whatever reason, NMAC says this has to go through your purchasing dealership. They get the money from the insurance company to find a replacement vehicle, same model, trim and mileage.

Gap insurance does not come into play if attempting substitution of collateral. If the payment from the insurance company isn't enough for a new car, then you'd have to pay in the difference.

In our case, the payment from the insurance company exceeded the payoff amount and the stealership, I mean "very helpful dealership" has now (3 weeks later) totally lost interest in pursuing this. They claim that substitution of collateral messes up the $7500 tax rebate. The dealership would have to apply for the rebate, not NMAC, not the lessor. So essentially, save your effort, a substitution of collateral doesn't work in practice. I wish we had been told that 3 weeks ago.

In our case, no one has any unique incentive to get us into a car again. We're out of our current lease and everyone is done. Its up to us to negotiate a new lease or purchase, and we're being given typical dealership treatment since we now really need a car and its mid-month.

Our current lease was $205/mo. with 1st month at signing. We did VPP but had gotten much better than VPP originally. All lease rates below where due at signing = monthly payment amount.

We were initially quoted $258 3 weeks ago by the dealership we had originally leased from.

Another dealership 3 weeks ago quoted us $315/mo.

More recently, I sat with a third dealership's manager who came up with a no-profit quote of $280/mo. I thought that was high because I thought we had $258 on the table. He said residuals had dropped since our lease in May, but the money factor was better.

When we went to verify our $258 offer from our original dealership, they had apparently lost interest. They wouldn't call back for 4 days, then came up with $330/mo for the same car. A manager said multiple obvious lies within the first two minutes on the phone and then claimed residuals and money factor had changed between October and November leading to this dramatic rate increase. I'd appreciate it if anyone had insight into the differences in residual and money factor between October and November this year. I doubt it would be that dramatic.

So here we sit. The insurance company has been paying for a rental while this sorts out but we have to turn it in today. We're down to 1 car which isn't enough for us. My current plan is to rent a car for a month at our cost and see if the lease deals sweeten as the 2014s start rolling out.

I'm hopeful lease rates will drop and dealerships will be more motivated because...
1) 2014s are about to come out.
2) 2014s include more content (rear camera). I think its likely Nissan may keep the same prices or even lower the price, but not raise it. That means a better car for your money.
3) Production has finally be increased to 2700/mo from 2000/mo.
4) Inventory levels have suddenly risen to a record high similar to production level. Its been around 2000 cars all year yet suddenly up to 2900 cars now.
5) Opportunities for end of month (November) and end of year motivation to make their numbers.
6) Gas is coming down to the $3 level. Already getting press. May depress EV sales through year end.

We are also seriously considering ICE vehicles. I've been running around car shopping. Not very happy about it. We've always purchased when we wanted to. This time we need a car. Spending a ton on a rental isn't my idea of fun.

Thanks for all the information. To (partially) corroborate dm33's experience, I am very happy with the safety performance of the leaf. I got T-boned by a Maxima that was going about 35 mph (on passenger side, with no passenger present). The front end of the nissan crumpled in nicely. There was no intrusion into the passenger compartment of the LEAF. I don't know what they build cars out of these days, but it is really strong stuff! The damage is expensive but the doors did not collapse very far and air bags all deployed flawlessly.

Also (for GoneSilent), thanks for the info on salvage value. That is really useful and is about in line with what my speculation. Is it possible to get information on past (completed) auctions? I only saw results for auctions currently in progress. As far as taking the charger out, are you referring o the 6.6 kWH charger (and was that meant seriously or jokingly)???

And cwerdna gets the prize for correct identification of the other car, a 2002 Maxima (but I can't confirm the trim level!).

LitT

lostinthetrees said:
As far as taking the charger out, are you referring o the 6.6 kWH charger (and was that meant seriously or jokingly)???

I'm sure he meant the L1 EVSE that came with the car.

I can't disclose the actual examples, but I can tell you for sure that 2012 and 2013 LEAFs over the past 12 months have typically brought $6000-$7000. There are outliers, but that's the typical range.

I'm glad you are OK! I think I recognize that intersection and was actually there last night, just not at the same time.

I hope you get this sorted out to your satisfaction soon!

Thanks for the info on salvage values, Klayfish.

And to BoulderLeaf: The accident was actually last week. Corner of McCaslin and Marshall Rd just off US 36 at the Louisville exit. It is a popular place for accidents!. There is a design flaw in the traffic flow pattern (which I have only recently discovered)...

LitT

Den said:
TonyWilliams said:
lostinthetrees said:

oh he was joking, but just barely. why would you want to drive a car that had airbags deployed? dump it, get another. your lease insurance will pay for the car and in some cases you might get some money back... but either way; lease another

from various posts here, it would probably take 3 months to get all the parts to fix the car anyway

lostinthetrees said:
Thanks for the info on salvage values, Klayfish.

And to BoulderLeaf: The accident was actually last week. Corner of McCaslin and Marshall Rd just off US 36 at the Louisville exit. It is a popular place for accidents!. There is a design flaw in the traffic flow pattern (which I have only recently discovered)...

LitT

Yeah, that's about where I thought it was. I actually dislike much of McCaslin in Louisville as it gets crazy at rush hour.

Anyway, glad you are safe!

OK, it looks like they are indeed going to declare the LEAF a total loss.

Blue book quotes a trade-in value of $26,597 for a 2013 LEAF SL with 5000 miles in very good condition. I consider that to be a little optimistic since I could get a new one for less than that (after the $7500 federal tax rebate). If that were actually a plausible trade-in value, it would suggest a pretty interesting business opportunity...

Back