could we go 85 miles, mostly 65mph?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nothing like that. I wish they built one that would plug into a 50 amp outlet and give me 9 KW. that's a lot faster than 3.3 or even 6! I forgot you only have 3.3 KW... yeah that's a problem.

johnrhansen said:
... I forgot you only have 3.3 KW... yeah that's a problem.
I missed the part where he only had a 3.3kW. I left off when he didn't even have a LEAF yet. ;-)

I thought it was a given that he'd have a Chademo port/package, and if I'm not mistaken, an upgrade of the 'slow' charger to 6.6kW comes with that (even on a lowly S), automatically. So any level 2 along the way would provide 10-15 miles in a half hour. And no doubt there are dozens of them along the way.

mbender said:
johnrhansen said:
... I forgot you only have 3.3 KW... yeah that's a problem.
I missed the part where he only had a 3.3kW. I left off when he didn't even have a LEAF yet. ;-)

I thought it was a given that he'd have a Chademo port/package, and if I'm not mistaken, an upgrade of the 'slow' charger to 6.6kW comes with that (even on a lowly S), automatically. So any level 2 along the way would provide 10-15 miles in a half hour. And no doubt there are dozens of them along the way.

The base 2015 S only comes with 3.3kw. You need to buy the QC package to get the CHADEMO and 6.6kw onboard charger. However, nearly every S on the lot has the QC package installed. I think you are confused with the SV which comes standard with the 3.3kw and 6.6kw, but includes the CHADEMO as part of a package with the LED headlights. This was the reason I personally bought the S w/QC package because by the time you pay the extra for the SV and then the package with the QC, it becomes nearly 3K more expensive.

Early in the thread the OP mentioned topping off at a quick charger, so I assumed the presence of a 6.6kW 'slow' port.

And just because I enjoy using gpsvisualizer (and once lived in the area), I thought I'd contribute this to the conversation:

CHNJ-to-EPA.jpg

I'd be sure to coast and/or regen down both of those big hills! (and the small ones, too :))

One thing to consider is not just whether it will make it when new, but whether it will make it towards the end of the battery pack life when you lose about 30% capacity. Also, don't forget winter.

When new, my car could easily do 80 miles on a full charge. Now, with 17% of my battery capacity gone and never to return, I'm lucky to get 65 miles in ideal conditions. Combine that with winter loss and inefficiencies, and I'm down to around 40 miles. And that's avoiding the highways.

Short answer: Forget it.

Longer answer: I drive from King of Prussia to Allentown every workday. This is a similar trip to the one you are proposing, and uses mostly the same roads. I can only do it if I stick to the rules:

1. No heat
2. Stay at 55 or under on the turnpike
3. 8 to 10 hours of level 1 charging at work

I get passed by hundreds of cars on the turnpike every day. I am sporting a large dent in my rear quarter panel thanks to a pickup truck driver that lacked the capacity to execute that maneuver successfully.

garymelora said:

I get passed by hundreds of cars on the turnpike every day. I am sporting a large dent in my rear quarter panel thanks to a pickup truck driver that lacked the capacity to execute that maneuver successfully.
driving 10+ MPH slower than all the other vehicles on a highway is never a wise/safe thing to do. the LEAF is not capable of that trip. trying to accomplish it by driving so slowly endangers the safety of not of not only the operator but all the other users of that highway.

noodlez84 said:
Nubo said:
How about changing the route? ...
Thanks, Nubo. I've thought about that, and I've actually taken that route before. It's slow as hell (lights almost all the way), and traffic tends to be killer.

That might help the Leaf range, but it might hurt it (if it's a cold winter and there's bad traffic).
Traffic will definitely help the range, and the fewer miles the better. Period.

As others have said, if it's just an occasional trip and you can tolerate the shorter albeit SLOWER route, then go for it. If this is a frequent trip, and the slower route will wear you down, forget about it!

I think I said this before. You can go slow. Safely about 20 MPH slower than the rest of the traffic as long as its not rush hour. Just watch your rearview. The leaf has good acceleration, and if someone's about to hit you, you can floor it and get out of danger.

garymelora said:

Longer answer: I drive from King of Prussia to Allentown every workday. This is a similar trip to the one you are proposing, and uses mostly the same roads. I can only do it if I stick to the rules:

1. No heat
3. 8 to 10 hours of level 1 charging at work

Best most definitive answer to a question I have read in a long time :D :( :cry:
I kept wondering why this thread on an insane question kept going on and on.
It was just waiting for the perfect answer :!:
I'm amazed garymelora is still managing to make this trip every work day :shock:

Would it be possible to go 59.2 Miles at 60-65 MPH?

I figure I could stay in the slow lane, holding 60 MPH the whole way.

This assumes flat terrain, no heat use, and no other accessory use (other than radio and maybe Heated Seat & Steering Wheel).

data=!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x883ef24907782aa3:0x70a190adffa629c2!2m2!1d-84.1052256!2d40.742551!1m5!1m1!1s0x883f79c962e96037:0x64263be4a9112e7a!2m2!1d-84.1721638!2d39.9583892

electriccarfan said:

This assumes flat terrain, no heat use, and no other accessory use (other than radio and maybe Heated Seat & Steering Wheel).
Probably. But the answer would depend on the following factors:

1) How degraded the battery is.
2) The outside air temperature.
3) Tire pressure.

If your LEAF is fairly new and the temperature is above about 20F, you can probably make it. I find that drafting (not too close!) behind a large truck can really improve your range on the highway.

RegGuheert said:
electriccarfan said:

3) Tire pressure.

If your LEAF is fairly new and the temperature is above about 20F, you can probably make it. I find that drafting (not too close!) behind a large truck can really improve your range on the highway.

Ok, thank you. My Leaf is a 2014 S with Quick Charge port. It's currently at 5811 Miles on the odometer. It still has all 12 Capacity Bars. I have tried to take care of it. I only charge every night via 120V Trickle Charge (least stressful on the battery), and I actually haven't used a DCQC yet since there are none around.

I could make sure that it's above 20F outside, and I could inflate my tires to 40 PSI.

I had heard about drafting behind trucks to increase highway efficiency. But, of course, like you said, not too close behind.

electriccarfan said:

2014 with all capacity bars, no problem. You should be able to get at least 70 miles easy.

Charge to 100% and do a distance run at 60 MPH. On a weekend easily morning or late at night with less traffic.

Fred

Wennfred said:
electriccarfan said:
You should be able to get at least 70 miles easy.
In San Diego, sure.

But electriccarfan lives in Toledo, Ohio. This time of year, it can get down to 10F or below, like is forecast for next Monday.

Personally, I would not attempt to travel that distance below about 20F. Possibly it can be done, but as the temperature goes down, the need for defrost often gets very severe and it is not possible to turn off outside air when defrosting (at least that is true with my 2011). The result is a massive amount of energy being used by the heater to try to warm the outside air being pulled into the cabin whenever the defroster is switched on.

RegGuheert said:
electriccarfan said:

3) Tire pressure.

I have done 65 mi, hilly, mixed speeds but near 55-60 mph, at around 20 F with my 2011 and the energy-hog heater. I pre-heated and didn't use heat on the outbound 32 mi. Then after dinner/movie the car was very cold soaked, so I used heat sparingly until I was sure I would make it home, then blasted it for the last 10 mi or so. Arrived home just after LBW, so still more miles. Here's another trip:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7634&start=60#p243033

RegGuheert said:
Wennfred said:
electriccarfan said:
You should be able to get at least 70 miles easy.
In San Diego, sure.

But electriccarfan lives in Toledo, Ohio. This time of year, it can get down to 10F or below, like is forecast for next Monday.

Personally, I would not attempt to travel that distance below about 20F. Possibly it can be done, but as the temperature goes down, the need for defrost often gets very severe and it is not possible to turn off outside air when defrosting (at least that is true with my 2011). The result is a massive amount of energy being used by the heater to try to warm the outside air being pulled into the cabin whenever the defroster is switched on.

That's the problem around here, the cold. And also the 20th Century mindset. To make matters worse, if I do need the heat, I have the S trim that has the less efficient heater.

If Ohio & Kentucky (and most of the Midwest for that matter) would get off
their asses and put in DCQC stations along the expressway, I'd be able to drive to Florida and the rest of the nation. As it is I can't get out of town because there aren't any in a 50Mi radius. I can't even drive to Chicago, since the only way to get there is by the turnpike. There's not much civilization from here to Fort Wayne, Indiana and chargers are scarce if there are any.

I would like to drive to California (since I'll be moving there eventually) but the spacing (and lack thereof) of DCQC prevents this. I wish they'd create an Electric Highway like they have in Washington, Oregon, and the UK.

They've got Ecotricity DCQC stations in the UK every 50-100 miles all along the expressways.

It seems like EVs are doing well in places like California, Atlanta, Chicago, Oregon, Washington, and etc.

The Midwest is a desert wasteland for EVs.

Back