Costa Concordia accident, salvage operation, etc.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwerdna

60 Minutes recently did a piece on what's involved w/effort to raise to the ship to be towed and salvaged elsewhere. http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50137223n" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; might be the entire piece.

Crazy effort!

Discuss anything else related to the accident, sinking, raising, salvage, etc. efforts.

cwerdna said:
60 Minutes recently did a piece on what's involved w/effort to raise to the ship to be towed and salvaged elsewhere. http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50137223n" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; might be the entire piece.

Crazy effort!

Discuss anything else related to the accident, sinking, raising, salvage, etc. efforts.

Should be interesting to see if it works.

I saw some of the program. The salvage company said that they have one shot at it. But they felt confident, based on their engineering analysis, that it will work.

will work if there is a contingency plan to deal with several pieces since the boat will not come up whole... but then you never know. I am not an engineer and took exactly 2 quarters of physics in college.

A $400 million recovery. And the ony thing you can really do to the captain that drove it there is to fire him. Amazing.

I watched the video. I find it hard to believe they are spending $400,000,000 to salvage this ship and they aren't even going to try to refurbish it. Do to the nature of the damage, it seems like most of the damage in the ship is water damage and the other 35% of the ship is not damaged at all. It seems structural damage is very minimal. Hard to believe the ship can't be made to float again.

adric22 said:
I watched the video. I find it hard to believe they are spending $400,000,000 to salvage this ship and they aren't even going to try to refurbish it. Do to the nature of the damage, it seems like most of the damage in the ship is water damage and the other 35% of the ship is not damaged at all. It seems structural damage is very minimal. Hard to believe the ship can't be made to float again.
Well, it's long term saltwater immersion along w/possibly being battered by storms. Much of that 65% or so that's underwater probably was never designed to be immersed in saltwater, esp. given that normally operating cruise ships undergo quite a bit of maintenance.

If they got it out of their within weeks or a few months of the disaster, the chances of refurbishment might be better.

It almost seems mind-boggling to me to build 11 story tall metal boxes as floats. That's massive. I lived in dorms that were 7 stories tall and that's was pretty tall to me, as is.

It'll be very interesting to see the videos and result of when they actually do try to pull the ship upright and whether it survives being towed to the salvage yard.

Back