cost to recharge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springbank

Hello - new here and feel rather dumb reading the discussions in this forum. I bought my Leaf less than a week ago - still learning. I have a 60 mile commute to work (round trip) and I was going to ask my boss if I could charge up while I'm at work. He is somewhat of a cheapskate so I'll probably have to pay him for this use. I need to know how much electricity this car draws so I can tell him how much it will cost him for me to use that privilege (trickle). Can someone help me here? Thanks

Verne

We need more info. Do you have a 2013 with or without the "charger package" ? Were you thinking of only using the portable Level 1 (120V) EVSE ? Where are you located, or where is your work located ? What do you pay at home per kWh ? What does your employer pay per kWh ?

:)

Edit: My fault ... I just saw the "trickle" you mentioned. Assume 120V at 12A = 1.44 kW draw, or 1.44 kWh for each hour. Multiply by number of hours and electric rate per kWh. I would roughly (and conservatively) estimate 20 cents (should actually be lower) per kWh. So that makes it less than 30 cents per hour. If you knew the actual electric rate you could get more accurate.

Welcome, Verne!

Can you please add your location by clicking "User Control Panel" and then "Profile"? TIA!
springbank said:
Hello - new here and feel rather dumb reading the discussions in this forum. I bought my Leaf less than a week ago - still learning. I have a 60 mile commute to work (round trip) and I was going to ask my boss if I could charge up while I'm at work. He is somewhat of a cheapskate so I'll probably have to pay him for this use. I need to know how much electricity this car draws so I can tell him how much it will cost him for me to use that privilege (trickle). Can someone help me here?
It depends on your driving style, but at 4.0 mi/kWh you will use about 7.5 kWh to drive 30 miles. If you charge from a 120V plug, the efficiency is about 75%, meaning you will use about 10 kWh to replace what you used to drive. Assuming $0.10/kWh for electricity, you should be paying your boss about $1/day to charge to come out even. You will spend about another dollar to charge at home.

About 1.44 kW on L1 trickle.

Ask to see the electric bill. Find the cost and divide by the kWh used to get the rate. Should be 5 to 25 cents.

Then multiply 1.44 x the rate x hours of charge to get cost.

Example:

Billed $7,237.03 / 74,322 kWh = 9.737 cents

1.44 x 9.737 = 14 cents per hour.

14 x 3.25 hours = 46 cents.

Don't forget to say that it's less than the secretary's heater running full blast under her desk!

Reddy said:
Don't forget to say that it's less than the secretary's heater running full blast under her desk!
Don't do that, the secretary will get mad at you when the boss charges her to run the heater :lol:

Zythryn said:
Don't do that, the secretary will get mad at you when the boss charges her to run the heater :lol:
+1

And everyone knows that having the secretary mad at you is MUCH worse than having the boss mad at you!! ;)

Back