Consumer Reports says to avoid the Mitsubishi i- MiEV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CmdrThor said:
Pretty much any compliance car makes my list of "Cars to avoid". I don't see a problem with the list.
The i-MiEV is not a compliance car. Mitsubishi has no CARB reason to make the car. It's available in all 50 states and around the world. However, as a former i-MiEV driver, I have to say it's not a great car, regardless of its powertrain. At best, it is basic transportation.

This wretched site ate another of my posts. I still suspect it's a deranged Moderator. Short summary: if the iMiev has a harsh suspension, they should be able to fix it.

greengate said:
It's just with so few all electric cars out there, it's a shame to not at least give them some credit for being all electric..all of which made me wonder if it weren't the same people working for CR that were instrumental in killing the electric car several years ago...as if the electric car were an invasive plant that needed to be eradicated.

If electrics are going to make it "big", they make it because they are equal or better transportation solutions. Giving a manufacturer a "pass" simply because it's electric encourages mediocrity, which in turn damages the EV market as it gets known for producing sub-standard cars.

GM killed their first electric car, not CU.

I must say I knew what I was getting myself into with a small GM made Spark EV. But we needed an EV badly in summer of 2013, and it came in super handy as it rolled out just then.

Having said that, it's still cooking. But I do avoid driving it if I can. At the same time, if it's between my "beloved" Accord '92 and Spark EV to drive somewhere, I take Spark w/out thinking. Because it's an EV and my Accord is not.

It's a devotion. I forget and forgive all its flaws while I endanger myself inside a little coffin with a very touchy steering. Just keepin' 2 hands on that wheel and watch out for all those i-phone distracted freaks.

LeftieBiker said:
The degree to which CR matches your own taste is more or less proportionate to how much you think of cars as consumer appliances, as opposed to fetish objects or things with with to become emotionally involved...
+1. When I buy a car I use CR reviews for my initial take on practicality, utility and reliability, and the enthusiast mags for performance, handling, feel etc., to winnow down the potential models into a short list. I then overlay my own evaluations when examining and driving the cars on the short list, before choosing one or two to shop for. And I don't fall in love, ever - I keep cars too long to allow short-term passion to cause me to overlook the kinds of small issues that will grow into major irritations and prevent long-term contentment. I'm getting into a marriage, not having an affair! :lol:

I was told CR said to avoid the gas version of the Chevy Spark, not the Spark EV. If so that makes sense to me, I drove a regular Spark and found it really under powered. In contrast the EV version of the Spark is really peppy.

aarond12 said:
However, as a former i-MiEV driver, I have to say it's not a great car, regardless of its powertrain. At best, it is basic transportation.
I see no faults in providing basic transportation.

Excessive problems or safety issue makes for a car to avoid.

Yea, the IMIEV does have a lot of factors that would make it concerning to drive. Even though it's extremely cheap, the extra 1.5k off or so doesn't make it a better idea than a smart EV unless you either A) Really need 4 seats and cannot afford a Leaf, and B) Aren't concerned behind the lack of a support network. Battery longevity concerns are also pretty big for the IMIEV. And the smart EV costs a ton less to lease.

I do agree that some people hate on electric cars because of the power train (the negative Tesla reviews? Those are completely laughable), but I don't think this is such a situation.

LKK said:
I was told CR said to avoid the gas version of the Chevy Spark, not the Spark EV. If so that makes sense to me, I drove a regular Spark and found it really under powered. In contrast the EV version of the Spark is really peppy.
You are correct. It says the Chevrolet Spark and speaks of being "heavy on the gas."

My mistake.

I also changed the heading as well as the initial content of this post.

Attachments

• Unknown-7.jpeg
    Unknown-7.jpeg
    3.2 KB · Views: 46
I think Consumer Reports did a bad job on their review of the i MiEV. My brother and father each own and drive an i MiEV, and it certainly has it's flaws, but it is actually a fine car for daily driving. Most of the "criticism" in the CR review is hyperbole, and borders on a hatchet job.

Here's the thread over on the i MiEV forum where there are some very measured responses:

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1286&hilit=Consumer+Reports

LeftieBiker said:
The degree to which CR matches your own taste is more or less proportionate to how much you think of cars as consumer appliances, as opposed to fetish objects or things with with to become emotionally involved...

I agree. CR is certainly entitled to their own opinion and of course a conscious adult reader is capable of viewing their report in context and evaluating how and when CR's values correspond to their own.

So, for example, when I read their Miata review long ago, it did not discourage me in the least from buying the car. Handling, design, balance and fun weren't high on their agenda, but they were on MINE. Luggage space was a big deal to them, My bride and I did just fine driving back and forth across the continent on our honeymoon.

It's not about whether their opinions are valid or invalid as long as they offer their observations and reasons any astute reader is capable of making their own decisions based on their needs and preferences.

Not everything in life is the Hatfields vs. McCoys.

Back