Confused about wiring and possible need for an airbag reset

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbquikcomjamesl

I now have my Dorman seat heater kit in hand, and I recently viewed some YouTube videos about seat heaters.

The instructions in the seat heater kit say to disconnect the 12V battery before starting, and before pulling the seat.

But the video linked-to above has, in the notes:
After you've done this you'll need to reset the airbag warning system.
and refers to another YouTube video, with a reset procedure involving cycling the power switch multiple times to enter a diagnostic mode.

Now, I know, from changing out the battery, that if I disconnect the 12V battery, the radio will retain its presets, but the charge timer will be lost. Why would unplugging and removing a seat cause a fault in the airbag controller?

And note, if you haven't already read my previous posts on the subject, in other threads, I'm only doing the driver's seat.

Every car is different but I've replaced seats with airbags on other cars without generating an airbag controller fault. It seems unlikely that any controllers will be operating with the 12V battery removed so I can't see how this will generate any faults. If the seat was replaced then perhaps there would be a serial # in the airbag itself that could throw a 'mis-match' code.

As it happens, I was not aware until a few minutes ago that the airbag tag on the edge of the seat indicated that there was one actually embedded within the side of the seat back.

Then, on my lunch break, I figured out how to release the portions of the seat back outer covering that don't unzip. :eek: :eek: :shock: :shock: :shock: :!: :!: :!:

As it happens, I'm not entirely sure what it accomplishes to have an airbag in the actual seat-back.

And now, in addition to having a better understanding of the anatomy of my seat, and a covering that will come off very quickly when I go to insert the heaters, I now have (from reaching under a seat with very little clearance) a small spot on my left forearm that's a lovely shade of purple, and oozing a small amount of blood. If I were home, I'd shave it and apply a Band-Aid.

The airbag in the seat back is the side curtain air bag that inflates between your head and the door frame/side window. You should disable the airbag system while working on the steering wheel, dash, or seats to avoid an unwanted surprise.

^+1. If touching any airbag connectors, it would be foolish to not first disconnect the 12V supply and then discharge any remnant energy in the capacitors of the circuitry. Just holding the + and - terminals that go to the battery should be sufficient but it wouldn't hurt to wait 30 minutes too after disconnecting the 12V battery. And then, be static aware and careful when handling those connections. You really, really don't want an airbag going off on you.

goldbrick said:
And then, be static aware and careful when handling those connections. You really, really don't want an airbag going off on you.

Thanks. Given that an air bag is basically a very small bomb (not to mention a very expensive one to replace), I will definitely heed that advice.

I should never have said the coverings would come off easily. It took over two hours of struggling just to get them peeled back far enough, insert the heating elements, and close them back up.

But the important thing is that I got it installed, without the side-curtain airbag blowing up in my face, without the cloth ripping, and without the nearly three hours of complete shutdown of the 12V system causing anything worse than my having to put all my radio presets back in (all two stations) and reactivate my charging timer. No alarms, no warning lights, no need to reset the airbag system.

Congrats on a successful installation. If auto up/down on your window does not work, just run the window in each direction until it stops and hold the switch for a few seconds so it relearns the stops.

Back