Condo solar

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springbank

I'm wishing to put solar up and I live in a condo. If the condo itself puts up the installation, they won't be eligible for the 30% tax incentive since it's a non-profit and don't pay taxes. I've been told that anything that goes up on the condo's roof is technically the condo's so I would be unable to purchase the solar and put it on the roof (or I guess if I do, it would not be mine, but the condo's) so the 30% incentive would still not be available. It would seem to me that if I got permission from the condo association to put up solar, I would be able to do this and then would be eligible for the incentive. Can anyone out there help me here?

thanks,
Verne

springbank said:
I'm wishing to put solar up and I live in a condo. If the condo itself puts up the installation, they won't be eligible for the 30% tax incentive since it's a non-profit and don't pay taxes. I've been told that anything that goes up on the condo's roof is technically the condo's so I would be unable to purchase the solar and put it on the roof (or I guess if I do, it would not be mine, but the condo's) so the 30% incentive would still not be available. It would seem to me that if I got permission from the condo association to put up solar, I would be able to do this and then would be eligible for the incentive. Can anyone out there help me here?

thanks,
Verne

What kind of a condo is it? Multiunit bldg or individual townhomes etc, where you have a separate unit with a separate roof that serves only your home? Your own small backyard serving only your home?

It may even depend on your state's statutes or town ordinances pertaining to installing solar panels. Federal law allows condo and apartment owners to install satellite dishes on the common elements of a property if the resident has access to an outside area serving only his unit (i.e. a balcony/patio). There may be something similar pertaining to solar panel installation. You will have to research that and/or call your state representative or city hall for help.

Also check the condo declaration line by line to see if anything applies, granting you the right to install something on the common elements, like antennae, flagpoles, etc.

If nothing helps you, then check with the solar company itself -- they should know everything about any state regs.

Otherwise, if you want to install something on the common elements and you otherwise have no right to do so, you will simply have to petition the board and have them vote to allow you to do so. Put the onus on them.

Good luck!

Hey Verne,

The condo association might grant you permission to individually put solar on the common roof, but I doubt it. A better chance of success will be to band together with some of your fellow neighbors as a group and put it up there for the benefit of paying members of the condo association – it’s called “Community Solar”. Take a look at the DIRESA web site at http://www.dsireusa.org/incentives/incentive.cfm?Incentive_Code=WA27F&re=0&ee=0 and at http://www.dsireusa.org/incentives/index.cfm?re=0&ee=0&spv=0&st=0&srp=1&state=WA .

I live south of Seattle, near IKEA, if you want to come look at my system and talk more about solar here in the Seattle area.

Here is our law in Illinois -- condos cannot bar solar installations after a valid request from a homeowner, so long as the building is no more than 30 feet high. It can also include rainwater collection and wind energy.

See if your state has a similar statute.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=3278&ChapterID=62" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back