Concept tire could charge electric cars.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TimLee said:
But unfortunately in the US the quality of driving has deteriorated to the point that less than 20% are good drivers.

I consider myself a good driver

I'm not picking on you, but herein lies the problem - something like 80% of drivers consider themselves "good" drivers, yet less than 20% are. Part of the problem there is that people all too often look for someone else to blame and fail to see the blame in themselves.

FWIW, I don't pretend to know whether I'm in the top 10% of drivers (highly unlikely), bottom 10% (fairly unlikely) or somewhere in between.

DaveinOlyWA said:
would have to be VERY cheap to pay it back within the life of the tire which means for most of us, notta gonna happen
That's an interesting consideration. On an ICE, it's cost would be compared to fuel savings and it would likely never be worth it. In the case of a BEV, it's different. If this device could recoup 1kWh over 80 miles, then it's worth the price of another kWh of battery capacity (~$300).

Sublime said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
would have to be VERY cheap to pay it back within the life of the tire which means for most of us, notta gonna happen
That's an interesting consideration. On an ICE, it's cost would be compared to fuel savings and it would likely never be worth it. In the case of a BEV, it's different. If this device could recoup 1kWh over 80 miles, then it's worth the price of another kWh of battery capacity (~$300).

problem is that we have to waste energy somewhere to generate the heat. what about days where its so cold out there is little or no heat generated? its not like you can drive for 2 hours to "heat em up".

I have seen days barely in the 20's where my tires might only heat up a few degrees. A design that generates significantly more heat is a design that is creating significantly more power to use. The whole crux of the technology is gaining ONLY energy that would be otherwise wasted. If it uses energy to do that, then in some cases, it will return little and its my estimation, it would be too little. Now in much warmer areas than mine, seeing tires heating up over 100º is probably common and who knows? maybe its a viable option there but its all linked to how long will the tire last

and finally; the obvious lack of details concerning any new technology is usually enough for me to discount it and that is true in this case

Laughed out loud to see that this story apparently hit CNN today.

To the whole question of recovering waste heat to be energy here - Folks are correct who say that this is really wasted heat and thus isn't likely to 'add drag' - unless the solution somehow increases rolling resistance (?).

Think of this another way - just what % of the power consumed driving the vehicle is lost to rolling resistance? A vast majority is wind resistance, then there are general efficiencies of the motor, other moving parts etc... while clearly rolling is significant (otherwise why would we bother worrying about what tires we have on the vehicle and the pressure?) if we eliminated (or recovered) this completely how much is would it add up? Then factor in efficiency of the recovery system (50%?) and see where that leaves us....

Back