ClipperCreek CA Upgrade Program needs site suggestions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
County of Riverside (public parking)
3535 12th St.
Riverside, CA 92501

Large Paddle Inductive.

Solarchargedleaf said:
I work for a small Town in northern Calififornia and I manage the public works department. We have one of the paddle chargers in our corp yard that was installed by Nissan about eight years ago. We let the public use it for free. I contacted Clipper Creek about the upgrade program and was told that if a facility only has one charger we do not qualify for an upgrade. It must remain as is for the older electric cars. It was bad news for me since I drive a leaf and park next to the charger I can't use.

I also have grant funding for two level 2 chargers in our public parking lot, but have not had a response from Clipper Creek, or Blink but after months of requests I have a Charge Point installer taking a look tomorrow.

Also, a new local business with 480 3 phase power wanted to install a level 3 charger but after months of begging have decided to give up on the idea. It would have been a super easy install but they are paving the lot next week and open the week after. Now it will be difficult in the future. They are installing a 200kw solar system to supplement their energy use.

It seems to difficult a process to get any of these companies to respond to inquiries.

Please contact me for any requests for quotes on EVSE. I do not handle the CEC program, but I handle any other requirement on the west coast. [email protected].

ErikClipperCreek said:
Please contact me for any requests for quotes on EVSE. I do not handle the CEC program, but I handle any other requirement on the west coast. [email protected].
By "handle any other requirements" ... does that mean you can answer questions? . . . like why a perfectly good QC spot (mentioned above) got passed over ... not even a contact?

I just wanted to make it clear that Clipper Creek responded quickly to let us know that we did not qualify for the upgrade. I contacted one of their installers about our other charger locations. It was the installer who has not followed through.

Also it looks like the details have been worked out with the commercial facility. They should have the level 3 charger installed in a few weeks.

San Dimas (Via Verde) Park and Ride
105 Via Verde
San Dimas, CA 91773

A great location near the intersection of the 57/10 and 71 freeways.

Currently SPI and Avcon legacy machines.

kevin672 said:
Uccello said:
Mission Valley Mall in San Diego has two of the old style chargers and it would be great if they could upgrade them.
http://www.westfield.com/missionvalley
Does anybody have a link or contact details for the grant program? I too would like to see the Mission Valley site updated. One would think they'd be receptive since it doesn't cost them anything. I've found that a little hand holding goes a long way to getting something like this accomplished. If I could send them direct link or contact info I think that would help enormously.
It seems some sites have fallen through the cracks. My contact at Clipper Creek, Will Barrett, seems to be the right person at his end. However, he needs contact information for the host sites, because it appears he does not have data on many legacy sites which were installed by other manufacturers. The CA grant program awarded to Clipper Creek can upgrade legacy charging stations installed by other brands.

Have you tried to contact the above host site? If you can reach someone with responsibility for site maintenance, utilities, etc. who sounds interested in EV upgrades, I suggest you pass along Will Barrett's contact info from the first post in this thread and suggest that he/she call:
Will Barrett.
530-887-1674 ex.303

I was able to get the business card from the Maintenance Superintendent for the City of Glendora. He was interested in doing the EV upgrades, he has multiple legacy stations so his site is eligible, but he thought the program had expired and he had not heard from Clipper Creek. He has just called me back to thank me for the contact, and Will Barrett has promised to call him, so they should be getting together.

Status of Clipper Creek upgrades for LAX and ONT Ontario Airport:
I am currently working with LAX and we are planning to start working on the Ontario International Airport once we get things moving at LAX. My contact at LAX is working on getting me in touch with the right person at Ontario.

We should have the LAX upgrades complete in the next month or two.
I myself have failed to get a good contact at ONT. I consider this site a priority. If anyone knows someone let us know.

Upgraded EVSEs were approved by the Board of Airport Commissioners at ONT on 1/23, so hopefully just a few more weeks.

My contact is Sandy Calderon - Airport Operations - 909-544-5434

Solarchargedleaf said:
I just wanted to make it clear that Clipper Creek responded quickly to let us know that we did not qualify for the upgrade. I contacted one of their installers about our other charger locations. It was the installer who has not followed through.

Also it looks like the details have been worked out with the commercial facility. They should have the level 3 charger installed in a few weeks.
Right on!

State compensation Insurance Fund offices in Vacaville. They have a HUGE solar array and multiple legacy chargers. Located at the junction of I-80 and Hwy 505. I was told by their facilties guy that it is fine to use the chargers. Unfortunately, when I went to look at them none were J1772.

z0ner said:
mwalsh said:
Thanks for this Tom. I'll lay odds that Mainplace Santa Ana still hasn't done anything about theirs.

mwalsh, you'd be pleasantly surprised. I had the fortune of going there last week and Clipper Creek has replaced the old claw with a brand spanking new, no-frills L2.

It really is no-frill. There is a single button to start/stop charging, but in truth as soon as you connect Mr. J1772 it starts charging automagically. There are no LCD screens, no friendly robotic voices, no tickertape. Pure L2. Love it.

Thanks for the guidance, guys. I used it tonight while watching a movie at the mall.

A bit hard to find in that structure, but worth it.

Clipper Creek announces their Reconnect CA Grant for Electric Vehicle Charging Stations!

ClipperCreek upgrades began July 2011 and will conclude in February 2013.

More then 350 Legacy EV charge stations have already been upgraded at over 200 sites throughout California.

To take advantage of this grant program, have potential hosts contact ClipperCreek at [email protected].

See more details on the Clipper Creek website about equipment that would be installed, what the grant covers, and the grant participation process.

The Program
The California Energy Commission (CEC) together with ClipperCreek have funded a program to upgrade existing
publicly available EV charging infrastructure to the new SAE J1772 charging standard that has been adopted universally by all the
BEV (battery electric vehicle) and PHEV(plug in hybrid electric vehicle) automakers in the US. Together, the CEC and ClipperCreek
have funded 100% of this upgrade so that it will be at NO COST, to the site owner

Basic Grant Requirements
To qualify for grant funding under the Reconnect Ca grant program a site must meet the following
requirements:
1.) Charge site must be accessible to the general public.
2.) Electrical infrastructure for EV charging must be in place at the site, at the desired install location (208/240V, 40A branch circuit).
3.) 1 SPI (Small Paddle Inductive) charger must remain in place where SPI chargers are currently installed.
4.) Site owner must agree to allow ClipperCreek to collect kWh usage information from the grant funded equipment.
5.) Site must be approved for funding by ClipperCreek and the CEC.

What's wrong with the EXISTING Clipper Creek sites at the Irvine Train station. They've sat completely USELESS for WELL over a decade now. They have the original Yazaki Plugs on them, which haven't been use in what ... 15 years? I stopped by a couple years ago, and took a phone pic:

nmmici.jpg

They're still just sitting there - wasting perfectly good parking spaces. What has to happen ... does the plastic have to rot away into non-existence before these stalls can ever be used again? The power's already there. How hard could THAT be. Is there any real reason someone can't chop off those ancient and useless pieces of history and install J1772's on them ??

hill said:
What's wrong with the EXISTING Clipper Creek sites at the Irvine Train station. They've sat completely USELESS for WELL over a decade now. They have the original Yazaki Plugs on them, which haven't been use in what ... 15 years? I stopped by a couple years ago, and took a phone pic:

nmmici.jpg

They're still just sitting there - wasting perfectly good parking spaces. What has to happen ... does the plastic have to rot away into non-existence before these stalls can ever be used again? The power's already there. How hard could THAT be. Is there any real reason someone can't chop off those ancient and useless pieces of history and install J1772's on them ??

It's all about getting the property owner to "okay" the upgrade. Even though the Clipper Creek upgrade is funded by CEC, and even though we think it's a no brainer, there are owners out there who (for various reasons) don't want to bother...Sometimes there is red tape when there is an absentee owner or a property manager in the middle...Clipper says they've contacted all sites where legacy charging stations have been installed, and most of them have not responded. I think the secret is to make contact with a "Decision maker" or champion at the site (and that may take some effort to determine who that is) and then work with them to get the stations swapped out...

z0ner said:
San Dimas (Via Verde) Park and Ride
105 Via Verde
San Dimas, CA 91773

A great location near the intersection of the 57/10 and 71 freeways.

Currently SPI and Avcon legacy machines.

After several months of site checking, I'm pleased to report the Avcon has been replaced with the typical Clipper Creek CS-40 J1772. And unlike the Blink units, they actually work.

Back