clipper creek HCS & 14-50 outlet

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevmk81

I am planning on installing a clipper creek HCS-40p. I'm reading in the instruction manual that "This is a single-phase device. Do not connect all three phases of a 3-phase feed!!!". It later says "A neutral connection is not reuqired by the HCS. Only Line 1, Line 2, and Ground are required". And later it says "Do not connect it to a neutral bar, or to ground".

Am I understanding this correctly, that in the outlet itself for the 14-50, I should only have the two hot's, and the ground connected in the plug? I'm having an electrician install the plug & wiring, so I want to make sure I communicate the specifics on what I need him to do. It also looks like the plug will need to be installed upside down (installing EVSE above outlet) - with the ground furthest away from the EVSE?

When I had my Clipper Creek LCS-25 installed, I first emailed him a link to the instruction manual, so he could view it ahead of time and purchase any necessary parts for the install. I would do the same in your case.

Otherwise trying to explain to him what you think he needs to do, when you don't have a full understanding of electrical wiring yourself, might lead to confusion. If he's licensed, he's supposed to know what to do.

I see that the manual for the Clipper Creek HCS covers both hardwired models and corded models. Those sections you quote are really only for the hardwired models. For the corded models, those instructions pertain to how the cord is wired into the unit. I'm assuming the model you are buying comes with the cord wired by Clipper Creek, so they will wire it correctly.

Thus all you need to tell your electrician is that you want a 14-50 receptacle on a 50 amp circuit with a 50 amp breaker. Since you are going with the 14-50 plug, and the 14-50 receptacle has a neutral connection, I believe it is proper for the electrician to run a circuit with a neutral and connect it to the receptacle. That neutral conductor will be unused by the HCS and presumably its cord won't even connect it. But it would be provide a measure of flexibility for plugging something else into that 14-50 receptacle should the need arise.

I doubt that running this unused neutral conductor would make much difference in the price of the job, but if you want to avoid it for some reason, you'd need to get an HCS model that comes with a 6-50 plug and have the electrician install a 6-50 receptacle.

Cheers, Wayne

What wwhitney said, even though EVSE's don't need the neutral, if you ever wanted to re-purpose the outlet in the future more than likely what you plugged into it(like a stove) would require a neutral. I believe the plug on your EVSE will be a 14-50 but will be lacking the middle neutral pin, at least mine was. Also the ground pin on mine is on the bottom, like 120v outlets in my area, although I do know of other areas that put the grounding pin on the top, and in one way it makes sense. That way if the plug is partially out and a small piece of metal(think nail) falls near the top of the plug, with the ground on the top the metal has a chance of deflecting off the ground pin and not causing any harm. If on the other hand the hot and neutral were on the top, the falling metal would have a chance of shorting the hot and neutral together, NOT a good idea. Personally I think it looks odd with the grounding pin on the top but I guess it's all what you get used to. Of course most 90 degree plugs exit the grounding side, in this case if your ground was on the top, your wire would need to make a 180 degree turn to feed something lower than the outlet......

My LCS-25 has three wires: One for Hot1, one for Hot2, and one for Ground. I'm certain your EVSE is the same way.

A voltmeter between either of the hots and the ground should give you 120VAC. Across the two hots should give you 240VAC. Many times the ground and neutral are going to the same place (or are jumpered to each other).

If you are not familiar with high voltage electricity, PLEASE have a licensed electrician do it for you. :shock:

I don't get why people want to pay extra for the plug versions of these evses. Just have the 6/3+G from the panel terminate in a junction box, the clipper creek flex can come in through another hole in the side of the box. No big deal if you want to move, just turn off the breaker, remove the cover from the junction box and disconnect the wires and the flex from the EVSE. Leave the wires from the panel capped with wire nuts, put a plug in the hole, and put the cover back on the box.

The next guy can connect his own EVSE, put a receptacle in for a Tesla or a welder, or more likely just ignore it.

JMO.

Back