Climate Control Solution - Gain Control of your Heater!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in! While you're at it, can you fix the preheat fogging problem?
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=6548&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

palmermd said:
It looks like the same solution that I came up with except it is using an existing signal. I'm installing a relay and using the normally closed contact on the LIN signal to the heater. With the car powered off the signal is closed so that remote control of the heater will work as normal. Once the car is powered on, power to open the relay is fed through a switch that I am adding. This will give me a switch that will disable/enable the heater.

The genius of Phil's mod is that he seems to be using the auto illumination signal to trigger another relay instead of using the switch. This eliminates the need for an additional switch added to the system. I still think I'm going to use the separate switch, because I'd like to have control of the heater in auto and manual modes.
FYI: Messing with the LIN comms will cause DTC's to be set. That is not how I implemented this, nor did I use any relays. All solid state!

-Phil

dgpcolorado said:
Definitely interested in this. When you say "semi-permanent", is it correct to say that the mod can be disconnected if the HVAC system needs service by a Nissan dealer?
Yes, the upgrade can easily be disabled with no tools required.

-Phil

LittleChap said:
Count me in! TomT definitely has the right idea:

TomT said:
Nissan needs to hire Phil as a highly paid consultant!
All they'd have to do is send me the source code for all the ECU's in the car, and I'd fix all the issues! The LEAF could be so much nicer with all these little things fixed. It's really evident they were in a hurry.

C'mon Nissan... KAIZEN!

-Phil

I have my screw driver in-hand as well (with phillips, flat and torx bits ready).

Question... The other day it was 55 outside and sunny on my drive home. When I got in my car it was a bit warm from sitting in the sun. I turned on the fan (manually) with the temp set to 60 (no AC). I looked at the energy screen and to my amazement, the climate control was NOT drawing any power. I assumed that the desired temp and associated climate control usage was based on exterior temperature. But what just happened makes me think that it is based on interior cabin temperature instead.

Can anyone else confirm that in a situation where the cabin temp is 65, exterior is 55, with the fan set to +1 (no AC) with temp of 60, the heater will NOT turn on until the interior temp reaches below 60 degrees?

I paid closer attention to the climate control operation this morning on my way into work. I realized that when you press any button besides temperature up/down the auto light will kick off. The system still seems to operate in "auto" with the exception of what you overrode. Because of this, I think I want more control over the heater than just when it's in full auto. Either manually switched on/off or what I'd prefer is to be in synch with the A/C switch. That would make the system function in economy mode or power assisted mode...

Awesome work Phil - I think you'll find many people interested in this. My only comment is that sometimes I do want warm air out the top vents so I can warm my hands - the only way to do this is to go out of auto-mode which in which case would remove heat - maybe a manual switch or push-button option would be useful?

I assume this will also minimize the extra power consumption rise people have noticed when running the A/C - it seems in certain situations the car will run both A/C and heat when the car is close to desired temperature, but reducing temperature a degree or two lower will actually reduce HVAC power consumption instead of increase it.

Now how about a way to disable the A/C for the summer so it's easier to get fan-only? :)

Electric4Me said:
I paid closer attention to the climate control operation this morning on my way into work. I realized that when you press any button besides temperature up/down the auto light will kick off. The system still seems to operate in "auto" with the exception of what you overrode. Because of this, I think I want more control over the heater than just when it's in full auto. Either manually switched on/off or what I'd prefer is to be in synch with the A/C switch. That would make the system function in economy mode or power assisted mode...
My original idea was to tie it in to the A/C, but I am fine with the A/C being on most of the time, as it drains such little power. I know it won't be on unless the car is hotter than the temp I set, which is not the case for the heater.

I considered other options too, but unfortunately there is no "please everyone" scenario except to add a separate switch, which is largely out of the question.

But in any event, you can still do what you want in manual, just enable the rear defrost. If it's on, the heater will be enabled, the only possible consideration is the ~200w additional draw from the rear element. (which of course is peanuts next to the thousands watts for the heater) Though I suppose if you didn't need rear defrost ever, you could simply pull the fuse or relay.

Here are the current scenarios where the heater can come on if the temperature demands it:

1. Climate control in full Auto
2. Climate control in Timer/Carwings mode
3. Rear defrost on

If the climate control is not in Auto (no LED lit), and the rear defrost is not on, the heater cannot run.

-Phil

Electric4Me said:
... I'd prefer is to be in synch with the A/C switch. That would make the system function in economy mode or power assisted mode...
That would definitely be my preferred choice, although Phil's mod would obviously be a huge improvement.

Back