Clarification on yearly battery test.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TimLee said:
2k1Toaster said:

I am fairly certain that if it had to be taken to court, you could successfully argue the battery checks are not a requirement.

Like many in forums it is easy for you to say that.
Have you actually done such a thing and prevailed against a large multinational corporation???

Actually yes. A multi-million dollar suit against a very large almost billion dollar a year worldwide company.

TimLee said:
2k1Toaster said:

I am fairly certain that if it had to be taken to court, you could successfully argue the battery checks are not a requirement.

Like many in forums it is easy for you to say that.
Have you actually done such a thing and prevailed against a large multinational corporation???

Has anyone reported a Warranty Replacement denial due to the Battery Check not being done?

Have there been any denials reported, other than those that opted-out of the class-action suit?

2k1Toaster said:

Actually yes. A multi-million dollar suit against a very large almost billion dollar a year worldwide company.
A similar situation of a vehicle warranty where you did not comply with the OEM warranty compliance expectations?
If so, you needed to be one of the class action plaintiffs!

TimLee said:
2k1Toaster said:

A similar situation of a vehicle warranty where you did not comply with the OEM warranty compliance expectations?
If so, you needed to be one of the class action plaintiffs!

There is no need to comply with something that has nothing to do with it. It doesn't have to be the exact situation. As someone with more court experience than most non-lawyers, I am sure my team could win.

2k1Toaster said:

There is no need to comply with something that has nothing to do with it. It doesn't have to be the exact situation. As someone with more court experience than most non-lawyers, I am sure my team could win.
You could be right.
Or you might be stretching you non-equivalent experience to something that does not apply.
Up to the reader to judge.

I will not hesitate to never complete any Nissan battery checks on my car and I will be first in line when and if I need to get a battery capacity warranty replacement.
There is simply no basis for any denial of warranty for any part of a car based on a 'check'. This is horseshit and not defendable by any car company.
What will a check accomplish? There is nothing that can come of it that will prevent battery degredation. They will have it documented that the degredation has happened over time, but the result is still the same. If its capacity is below their threshold and the miles and age are within, there will be a replacement. Checks or no checks.
This common sense.

Some people just love to go to court against a multinational major corporation to prove a point :?

Most people find it to be a lot less trouble and hazzle to just have the annual battery "test" done ;)

To each their own path :D

TimLee said:
Some people just love to go to court against a multinational major corporation to prove a point :?

Most people find it to be a lot less trouble and hazzle to just have the annual battery "test" done ;)

Amen! Also I'd like to add why not do the annual battery test? You are only providing data that will help the community and yourself in the long run. Both for Leaf owners and for future Nissan electric vehicles.

epirali said:
TimLee said:

Amen! Also I'd like to add why not do the annual battery test? You are only providing data that will help the community and yourself in the long run. Both for Leaf owners and for future Nissan electric vehicles.

Because in some cases like my own after 3 scheduled visits all within the limits and 3 days of vacation off of work since the only times were during work hours, no check was performed and nobody knew what they were doing. Nobody is reconpensing me for all my wasted time and lost time off. 3 strikes and they're out. No suitable alternative, there is no plan B.

Anyways, Carwings is still active and if they really wanted the data, they could figure it out. Of they can't, then they don't deserve to have it.

2k1Toaster said:
epirali said:
TimLee said:

Because in some cases like my own after 3 scheduled visits all within the limits and 3 days of vacation off of work since the only times were during work hours, no check was performed and nobody knew what they were doing. Nobody is reconpensing me for all my wasted time and lost time off. 3 strikes and they're out. No suitable alternative, there is no plan B.

Anyways, Carwings is still active and if they really wanted the data, they could figure it out. Of they can't, then they don't deserve to have it.

I'd say this is more the case of a terrible dealer than battery check. I mean if you needed any service and this is how they treated you you should immediately find another dealer if it is at all an option.

epirali said:
2k1Toaster said:

I'd say this is more the case of a terrible dealer than battery check. I mean if you needed any service and this is how they treated you you should immediately find another dealer if it is at all an option.

As already said, no other dealer is possible. I still believe you could win a suit against Nissan if they deny warranty based off of the battery check. If they see signs of premature degradation, they don't actually do anything to mitigate or anything like that. It is wholly a check, and that makes no sense to be required.

The mods on this forum are really delete happy. Lots of posts disappear with no explanation...

2k1Toaster said:
epirali said:
2k1Toaster said:

As already said, no other dealer is possible. I still believe you could win a suit against Nissan if they deny warranty based off of the battery check. If they see signs of premature degradation, they don't actually do anything to mitigate or anything like that. It is wholly a check, and that makes no sense to be required.

Which of the two Colorado Springs, CO dealers was this bad :?:
South Colorado Springs or Woodmen :?:
Are they both that bad :?:
If so that is really bad.
Unfortunate that one or both don't offer a shuttle service to your work location that would allow maintenance on the vehicle without taking a day of vacation.
The really good maintenance dealer in Chattanooga Mountain View will do shuttle a long distance, I think 15 to 20 miles.

I don't disagree that you may be right on the legal technical merits.
But it is a huge hazzle to sue a major multinational corporation.
But as you stated in another thread some people are willing to sue to make a point whether they make any net $ out of it or not.

As I struggle with whether to Opt back in or not on the class action lawsuit (one of the 192 that opted out initially), suing a large multi national corporation even in small claims court seems arduous at best.
But qualifying for the capacity warranty is at best a long shot for me.
Maybe I should toss a coin.

But on the annual battery checks, I will do them seven times, till the 8 year, 100,000 mile warranty expires.
May not yield any net benefit.
But for me it will be less arduous.

The South Colorado Springs location didn't want to do my battery check because I didn't buy the car from them. Wouldn't let me schedule an appointment. Woodmen is where I bought it, and they weren't able to do it after 3 attempts.

Real court isn't that hard when you're right. You just have to put the cash upfront for proper lawyers.

2k1Toaster said:
I really can't imagine how this would be a requirement for warranty fulfilment if you needed to get the battery replaced. The "test" does nothing but report data back to Nissan and there have been no cases where Nissan gets the information and then adjusts the car in any way. It is not a service that updates or modifies the car in any way, it is just a glorified survey of their battery packs. That's OK, but this can't then be tied to a failed pack being replaced. ...
I might agree to the extent that once you get a battery check that says all is OK, having missed a previous one would probably become a non-issue, so I also did not worry when my first one was a couple of months late. But if skipped completely, it's going to be hard to argue push back if Nissan claims the failure could have been avoided if the check had been done. Unlike your average ICE car, experts on Nissan's battery tech are not plentiful, and they pretty much all work for Nissan. Best to find a way to get it done, even if it's late.

2k1Toaster said:
The South Colorado Springs location didn't want to do my battery check because I didn't buy the car from them. Wouldn't let me schedule an appointment. ...
That is bizarre.
Maybe they have an agreement not to poach maintenance work from people that buy from the other dealer.
But still strange.

I bought from a dealer 100 miles away in Gallatin, TN with vehicle delivered to my driveway at quite a bit lower cost than the two local dealers.
Either is ready and willing to do maintenance work on any Nissan, or many other vehicles such as my mother-in-law's Lincoln MKZ.

Let us say that someone like me bought a 2012 leaf. I don't know the history of battery checks, nor do I care.
I read the manual, and I don't see where battery checks are in the maintenance schedule. I may have missed it.
Regardless, are you guys implying that Nissan will deny a warranty claim because the previous owner (or me) may or may not have done a battery check?
Fear is not a motivator for me. My time is of value and my nearest Nissan dealer that sells Leafs is a couple of towns over. Not gonna do it, and I am not scared of a denial from Nissan. I don't think I will ever have a claim, but you can bet I will get a battery if I have need for one.
You don't need to go to court when you can make a case for yourself. If you are right, you are right and anyone or company reasonable will agree.
They made the warranty and they made the acceptable terms of degredation. I will ask them to honor them. Simple as that.

Again, what is a test going to do to keep the battery from degrading? If the test recognises a problem, the stealership will swap the battery right? So how is that different than what they are doing with degraded batteries? It isn't like they are 'servicing' batteries at stealerships. If they have some electronics or firmware that needs an update to help keep the battery good, they know how to get ahold of me, and I bet they will so that they don't need to do a warranty swap.

chuck101 said:
Regardless, are you guys implying that Nissan will deny a warranty claim because the previous owner (or me) may or may not have done a battery check?
The implication is that Nissan "might" do that.. ;-)
chuck101 said:
Again, what is a test going to do to keep the battery from degrading? .
I would guess Nissan might say "There was an issue that hadn't yet degraded the battery, and might not have caused long term damage had it been caught during the routine / required check. Since that didn't happen, the damage continued unchecked and resulted in damage which could not be repaired."

Now, I personally don't think they'd do that.
And if they did, I don't think it would hold up in court.

But...
Who knows.. ;-)

desiv
p.s. Editing to add this comment to agree with davvewill below. While I don't think they'd do that, the first thing I did when I got my used Leaf was schedule the battery check. My belief is that even if you don't get one "on time," if you get one and it passes, you're in pretty good shape. Just me and IANAL. ;-)

All I'm saying is that it's prudent to do it. If you don't want to, probably nothing will happen to you...the battery probably won't die, and even if it does they'll probably cover it.

But "probably" isn't good enough in my book. I wouldn't skip it.

davewill said:
All I'm saying is that it's prudent to do it. If you don't want to, probably nothing will happen to you...the battery probably won't die, and even if it does they'll probably cover it.

But "probably" isn't good enough in my book. I wouldn't skip it.

It doesn't bother me either way. $5K for a 24KWh battery seems like a fair deal in today's dollars if I had to pay outright. If I have to within what should have otherwise been a warranty period, I simply take my dollars elsewhere and never buy Nissan again.

Toyota has a habit of paying for repairs even if a few thousand miles or a few months past the warranty expiration date. They treat you very well. Some cases for the hybrid pack in the Prius have gone out 30K to 50K miles after the warranty expired, and Toyota still paid for something. In some cases they split it down the middle, other times you buy the battery they install for free, sometimes the opposite. They stand behind their product. This was my first Nissan product, not counting my dad's old Datsun, and based off of the few build quality issues, balding tires at 10K miles, and their lack of beating dealers into submission about electric vehicles in my area I see no reason to buy another. I'll stand by Mr. Toyoda's products a while longer. How many times must I explain to the salesperson that calls my cell phone I am NOT overdue for an oilchange in my Leaf and take me off the $!&* list.

2k1Toaster said:
How many times must I explain to the salesperson that calls my cell phone I am NOT overdue for an oilchange in my Leaf and take me off the $!&* list.
To be fair tho, I think there's a chance (likelihood?) that if Toyota sold an EV, you'd get something similar from a percentage of their dealers.
We see more of this from Nissan dealers I think because there are more Leafs sold than any other EV from a standard manufacturer. (i.e. not Tesla)
But there have been reports of similar issues from the other EV dealers.
I got pretty bad support/info when I was looking initially and checking all the options.

Unfortunately, until there is a higher percentage of EVs being sold, the "dealership business model" isn't all that interested. So it's hit or miss. There are some great dealers out there (not mine, but I've read about some.. ;-) ).
Hopefully, this will improve quite a bit over the next few years.

There's also the percentage of dealers who actively dislike EVs. Either because of their politics or the fact that EVs mean less support/repair (less business for them)... But they are out there too..

I think this is an interesting time for dealers.. If they don't handle things correctly, the Internet market and companies like Tesla will REALLY start showing their issues..
(And I'm not a fan of every thread on here becoming a "Tesla does it better" thread, so this pains me.. ;-) )

desiv

Back