Chicken or Egg?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdunmyer

My location is just north of the OH/MI border, giving me some flexibility when it comes time to shop for a car.

I bought my Leaf in December of 2013 from Yark Nissan in Toledo, OH. The dealer in Monroe, MI didn't have one in stock, according to the Nissan website. As my car had over 200 miles on it, I suspect that it sat on the lot for some time, being used as a demonstrator. As of now, it hasn't been replaced, Yark has none for sale.

OTOH:, Gerwick Nissan in Monroe, MI now has a single 'S' model in stock.

The salesman at Yark told me that they've sold maybe 20 or so since the car's introduction, that's only 1 every couple of months.

The other 2 dealers shown as "close" to me both show NO Leafs in stock.

How does a dealer expect to sell Leafs (Leaves?) w/o having one in stock? Of course, if the stocked cars don't sell, why restock? Does Nissan force stock onto dealers? If not, maybe some would never order one in unless it's already sold? Does the dealer not make any money on a Leaf sale?

jdunmyer said:
Does the dealer not make any money on a Leaf sale?
Explaining all the electrical stuff probably takes the salesman three times as long for LEAF as a gasoline vehicle during a sale to net the same commission. What would you sell?
This is one of the big reasons Tesla does not want to be in the mix with dealers that also sell gasoline vehicles.

jdunmyer said:
How does a dealer expect to sell Leafs (Leaves?) w/o having one in stock?

The LEAF is actually the first new car I've ever bought where the car I actually wanted was in stock. All other times I've placed an order. I couldn't care less about "stock", personally. Like most other things about dealerships, it doesn't seem to have much of a point.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Dealers get "allotted", so many of each model. If they don't sell, good! Better opportunity for you.
That is what I love about car dealers, at some point of time they will sell "allotted/unwanted" cars for the price you offer them, which in case of last 3 cars I bought, was much better than buying 2-3 year old used, with many miles.

Back