Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scottf200 said:
FrugleNerd's: Tools for seeing hourly rate (taxes, fees, and watts it seems)
Click [below] for an iGoogle gadget and links to a ComEd electricity price dashboard
http://www.frugalnerd.com/app/comed/comedpages.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another iGoogle gadget to show hourly rate (watts only)
http://www.jaynick.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice apps, but the rates don't agree. Any ideas why this is so?

Anyone in the area know of a trustworthy, skilled electrician we Chicagoans could approach for a group rate for the EVSE installations? If anyone would be interested in trying to get together to try to get a group discount for our business.

My best friend is certified electrician. I wil call him today and ask him. He will be installing my sister's charging station when it arrives.

chijayhawker said:
Anyone in the area know of a trustworthy, skilled electrician we Chicagoans could approach for a group rate for the EVSE installations? If anyone would be interested in trying to get together to try to get a group discount for our business.

I would be interested in participating in this as well. Anything has to be better than what AeroVironment is offering!

Also, has anyone had their delivery date move beyond "Pending" yet? It would be nice to get an approximate delivery date, even if it is still many months away.

prolix74 said:
chijayhawker said:

I would be interested in participating in this as well. Anything has to be better than what AeroVironment is offering!

Also, has anyone had their delivery date move beyond "Pending" yet? It would be nice to get an approximate delivery date, even if it is still many months away.

May be interested as well, don't know where we all are at to make sure any deal would cover the city and 'burbs -- I'm first checking with the company who upgraded my fuse box when my original box was burned out a few years back (turned out to be obsolete equipment was used so needed a whole new main box and then I replaced all of the individual circuit breakers --- a bit of a mess and NOT cheap). I could probably handle the wiring myself as my Dad was a master electrician (he retired to FL) but don't want permit issues as well as having the time -- it could be that as I'm with the first group of reservations I have an actual 'expected delivery during November' on my order versus pending but no further update since about a month ago (changed to November on 8/11/11). Perhaps may be one of the first to get one in Chicago -- we'll see!

... an actual 'demo' LEAF to drive in Chicago !!

Just got a call from the rep at McGrath Nissan in Elgin and they just got an '11 White SL with the cold weather package in for demonstration purposes. Literally just arrived off the truck and they're charging it up at a newly installed charging station as I post this. Hope to take a more 'realistic' test drive than the drive event a little under two weeks ago at Soldier Field real soon. For those 'on the fence' here in Chicagoland, now is your chance to actually drive one. The rep's name and contact information are listed below in case you're interested; PM me for his email address as we're all trying to avoid spam:

Todd Tifft - Internet Manager
McGrath Nissan in Elgin
945 E. Chicago Street
Elgin, IL 60120
847-695-6700 x305

redLEAF said:

Just got a call from the rep at McGrath Nissan in Elgin and they just got an '11 White SL with the cold weather package in for demonstration purposes. Literally just arrived off the truck and they're charging it up at a newly installed charging station as I post this. Hope to take a more 'realistic' test drive than the drive event a little under two weeks ago at Soldier Field real soon. For those 'on the fence' here in Chicagoland, now is your chance to actually drive one. The rep's name and contact information are listed below in case you're interested; PM me for his email address as we're all trying to avoid spam:

McGrath Nissan in Elgin
945 E. Chicago Street
Elgin, IL 60120
847-695-6700 x305
Excellent! I called and asked for a test drive. Should be fun.

Mine Too! :D

It may not be November, but at least it is narrowing down on a delivery date.

NissanDashboard20110909.PNG

bigtlb said:
Mine Too! :D

It may not be November, but at least it is narrowing down on a delivery date.

time to update your forum signature !! ... looks like I'm still (at least on this forum) the earliest anticipated delivery for Chicago; it's curious that some local dealer's are getting MY 2011's for demo's NOW but at least they'll have something to show perspective customers

redLEAF said:
I'd be curious to learn how much car-time they are willing to provide. The Chicago event was just a little around the block thing with little time for playing with the controls.

My dashboard still shows month of November. Not that waiting another month matters a lot but it would be nice to get the car soon.

I am planning to install a 240 volt socket outside my house where I park my car and use evseupgrade.com upgraded charger to charge my car. Initially I will charge it with 110v with an extension cord.

You guys in November are lucky to be one of the first! ;-) I can not wait to drive my Nissan Leaf and see someone driving one as well :) and race with them hehe

dutchinchicago said:
My dashboard still shows month of November. Not that waiting another month matters a lot but it would be nice to get the car soon.

I am planning to install a 240 volt socket outside my house where I park my car and use evseupgrade.com upgraded charger to charge my car. Initially I will charge it with 110v with an extension cord.

Hey 'dutch'; I see from earlier posts that you ordered 'blue ocean'; you may actually get your LEAF earlier than me as I saw a warning that 'cayenne red' may be delayed on my dash board due to problems with the paint plant supplying red paint due to the earthquake in Japan -- perhaps it's old news as other Nissan's in red (the Juke for instance) are still rolling in but the Nissan rep's at the drive event mentioned that red was in short supply (they didn't have ANY at the event). I haven't been looking but are those who ordered their LEAF in red getting their cars delivered right along with those who ordered the other colors or do they still have delays?

redLEAF said:

McGrath Nissan in Elgin
945 E. Chicago Street
Elgin, IL 60120
847-695-6700 x305

Just got back from my test drive, took the wife and son along but just my son and I took it out -- Todd (mentioned above) expects two other folks who ordered theirs in today as well. Very nice and modern dealership, they have their internal charging station in the service bays but will have their external one setup soon -- the white SL I drove was quite new and again that eerie quiet is something you need to get used to -- this time was able to get it up to 55/60 and go over some bumps, etc.; quite a nice ride, brakes well enough that you don't notice the regen. You do get a much longer drive than we had in downtown, faster roads where you get a chance to accelerate and a few curves. Car seems even more solid on uneven roads (I'm sure that battery pack helps). Still waiting on IL EPA to respond on the whole lease/buy ruling for their rebate before deciding to lease or buy but the days are passing quickly!

redLEAF said:
redLEAF said:

McGrath Nissan in Elgin
945 E. Chicago Street
Elgin, IL 60120
847-695-6700 x305

Just got back from my test drive, took the wife and son along but just my son and I took it out -- Todd (mentioned above) expects two other folks who ordered theirs in today as well. Very nice and modern dealership, they have their internal charging station in the service bays but will have their external one setup soon -- the white SL I drove was quite new and again that eerie quiet is something you need to get used to -- this time was able to get it up to 55/60 and go over some bumps, etc.; quite a nice ride, brakes well enough that you don't notice the regen. You do get a much longer drive than we had in downtown, faster roads where you get a chance to accelerate and a few curves. Car seems even more solid on uneven roads (I'm sure that battery pack helps). Still waiting on IL EPA to respond on the whole lease/buy ruling for their rebate before deciding to lease or buy but the days are passing quickly!

Did he let you take it out by yourself or did he come along for the ride? Any sales pressure?

Ualdriver said:
redLEAF said:
redLEAF said:

Still waiting on IL EPA to respond on the whole lease/buy ruling for their rebate before deciding to lease or buy but the days are passing quickly!

Did he let you take it out by yourself or did he come along for the ride? Any sales pressure?

As this was the dealer's only demo (same as a recent drive in a Lexus CT200h at another dealer) and Todd was excited to show a few LEAF features on the drive, etc. I didn't push getting the car to ourselves which was really no big deal. Most dealer's that I've run into as of late have been much lower to no sales pressure as they know it turns people off -- what was even more interesting yesterday was Todd's Dad happened to be at the dealer as well (an environmenatlist of all things -- he drives a Honda Civic Hybrid!) and Todd had promised him a spin after his customer's had driven as well. I'm sure if they had more than one car we could have taken it out ourselves -- we were looking at new Fiat 500's and my son and I took a long drive with one as the dealer had several on the lot (BTW nice little car, will be curious how a big battery pack will effect such a small car when their EV comes out hopefully next year). As we hadn't really decided yet on buying versus leasing due to the IL EPA thing now wasn't the time to negotiate anything anyway -- hopefully will get that 'ruiling' soon.

redLEAF said:
As this was the dealer's only demo and Todd was excited to show a few LEAF features on the drive.
I had my test drive with Todd this morning. He let me test drive his demo car although I had told him on the phone that I have an order with another dealer. Very nice and knowledgeable guy.

The LEAF drives beautifully, has great acceleration, and very good handling. And the silence! I highly recommend contacting Todd if you are unsure about the car in any way or, like me, want another opportunity to drive it.

Back