Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw the L3 charger unit at the Whole Foods at Peterson and Cicero yesterday -- it was up and running. (And empty).

But how do you actually get access to use it? It requires a "CharJit"(?) card. The 2 L2 machines are accessible via credit card. I have yet to find any website to sign up for a Charjit card. Is there any cost to use the L3 at Whole Foods locations?

Also, any idea if the L3 at the Boystown WF is back running yet?

hyperlexis said:
I saw the L3 charger unit at the Whole Foods at Peterson and Cicero yesterday -- it was up and running. (And empty).

But how do you actually get access to use it? It requires a "CharJit"(?) card. The 2 L2 machines are accessible via credit card. I have yet to find any website to sign up for a Charjit card. Is there any cost to use the L3 at Whole Foods locations?

350 Green manages the Charjit card. You buy it for $21 ,and it has 3 charges on it (if I remember correctly). There might be an additional fee for the card. After that you have to call them, and you can add one or more $7 charges to it. When I first got my Leaf and didn't have my charger installed at home, I had them send me one using USPS Priority mail which ended up being much cheaper than UPS or Fed-Ex. The whole system sucks as you cannot do any of it online. Also the L2 chargers require a card with a chip in it. My credit cards did not work, but fortunately my debit card did.

Here's another thing to know about the DC Fast Charger. If your range is under 50% it will charge you to 80%. If it's over 50% it will charge you to 100%.

Finally...the next time I'm at the Boystown WF...I'll check the DC Fast charger, but I've been there pretty recently and only the L2 chargers were working.

hyperlexis said:

If they still sell cards go to 350green.com (alias CHarjit) ... even though L2 machines have Credit Card logos on them, think you need either Charjit or Chargepoint card. But one of the two cards works on both ... forgot which as I so rarely use them!
As for cost at WF, think Charjit were charging something like $21 per card, with three "fillups" for $7 a piece?

By empty, you mean no EV or ICE was in the spot or it ran out of "juice"? :)

For all the folks who have going to a charging station, only to discover it's out of order, have you tried plugshare.com ? It apparently tells you if a station is online, in use, or offline and has smartphone apps.

How's the mileage been during this winter for all the Chicago folks? I have a 60 mile highway commute. Will the leaf make it? I'm looking at purchasing a 2013 SL this Spring.

thx.
Mark

Phatcat73 said:
For all the folks who have going to a charging station, only to discover it's out of order, have you tried plugshare.com ? It apparently tells you if a station is online, in use, or offline and has smartphone apps.

How's the mileage been during this winter for all the Chicago folks? I have a 60 mile highway commute. Will the leaf make it? I'm looking at purchasing a 2013 SL this Spring.

thx.
Mark
Plugshare is not as reliable as a resource as I think you think it is.
My Leaf (2012SL, available for sub-lease) has fared well. I have gotten about 10 miles a day less than Summer.
Are you saying 60 miles one way or round trip? Do you have charging at work?

60 miles 1 way, 98% highway from Buffalo Grove, IL to Frankfort. 53->I355->I80. This has been my preferred ICE route.

I have another route I can take that is a little shorter (54 miles) but takes an extra 10 min. 38 miles highway +16 suburbs which may be a little more EV friendly.

I'll have L2 at home, car will be garaged and outdoor L1 at work. Will I be able to make it home at the end of the day...even if I leave it on the trickle charger for up to 10 hrs?

I appreciate all Chicagoland feedback. Note I'll also have an ICE car that I can trade with my wife when needed.

Phatcat73 said:
60 miles 1 way, 98% highway from Buffalo Grove, IL to Frankfort. 53->I355->I80. This has been my preferred ICE route.

I have another route I can take that is a little shorter (54 miles) but takes an extra 10 min. 38 miles highway +16 suburbs which may be a little more EV friendly.

I'll have L2 at home, car will be garaged and outdoor L1 at work. Will I be able to make it home at the end of the day...even if I leave it on the trickle charger for up to 10 hrs?

I appreciate all Chicagoland feedback. Note I'll also have an ICE car that I can trade with my wife when needed.
You drive right by me.
60 miles one way ... then L1 charging for how many hours before leaving for home?
Very dicey.
You get 15 miles of charge per hour using Level 2. Forget Level 1 as I never use it.
If you can afford it, I would go with Tesla instead. Even if you got the lowest battery you'd still have better breathing room.

sp4rk said:
Phatcat73 said:

You drive right by me.
60 miles one way ... then L1 charging for how many hours before leaving for home?
Very dicey.
You get 15 miles of charge per hour using Level 2. Forget Level 1 as I never use it.
If you can afford it, I would go with Tesla instead. Even if you got the lowest battery you'd still have better breathing room.

Honestly I think there are some days when you might not even make it TO work much less home. The range meter lies, lies, lies. What is stange is that I can get pretty close to estimating my range using calculations based on data from the car, so I don't understand why it can't do the same. Here's how I do it:

1. Charge to 100%.
2. Reset one of the trip meters in the morning.
3. Reset the m/kwh gauge.
4. Multiply the m/kwh # by 16. It is a 24 kwh battery, but even at 100% charge I think 16 kwh is a safe estimate.

This is how far it will go. Anyone else have a way to calculate it? You just can't trust what the car says. I think it's based on an efficiency of at least 5 m/kwh, and you definitely will not get that in the winter.

Good news! Golf Mill is online. There are two L2 chargers that have been down for months. I kept calling and complaining to ChargePoint, 350 Green and AFDC (Alternative Fuels Data Center), and finally something was done to fix it. It was ICF International (part of AFDC) that was able to get something done. Sarah Alexander was very helpful and actually e-mailed me back about the status. I reported the problem through the AFDC website. http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/electricity_locations.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also...there is an L3 DC Fast Charger at the PNC Bank right by Golf Mill (9101 N Greenwood Ave, Niles, IL). It is also online and appears to be working. I probably would have used it a couple of months ago when it was 5 degrees out, and I was unsure about my range to get home, but I couldn't find it because it is A. not in the carwings info and B. not technically at Golf Mill Mall. When I called the mall they said it's at "the PNC Bank", but there are 3 of them nearby, and I couldn't drive to all of them while exhausting the range.

Please continue to report offline stations through AFDC. I think we can make a difference eventually.

Hi,
I'm new to these forums and hope I'm not doing anything out of line here. This is a bit off the topic of local charging stations, but it seemed to be the best place to reach people in the Chicago area.

I am a researcher at the international design firm IDEO (http://www.ideo.com). We are looking to interview people in the Chicago area who own or lease a Nissan Leaf (other BEVs would work also). Our goal is to learn more about the experience of driving EVs and supporting the needs of EV drivers in future car designs.

We would like to conduct interviews next Tuesday, February 26, in our downtown Chicago office. They would last from 1 to 2 hours. You will be compensated for your time.

If you are interested, send me a private message on the forum and I can send you more info. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Dan

IDEO is a design firm that uses observations and interviews to inspire our designers and fuel future concepts. For more info on IDEO check out: http://www.ideo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. We were also recently featured on 60 Minutes and CBS Morning News. You can watch the segment here to get a sense of what we do: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50141325n

FYI...I drove by the Walgreens on Lincoln Ave just south of Foster Ave in Chicago. They have two Level 2 chargers and one Level 3 DC Fast charger. All are dead. :-( I reported them through AFDC. I'll update my post if I get any resolution. I was able to get the chargers at Golf Mill fixed, so I've got my fingers crossed for these.

perkelate said:
Hi,
I'm new to these forums and hope I'm not doing anything out of line here. This is a bit off the topic of local charging stations, but it seemed to be the best place to reach people in the Chicago area.

I am a researcher at the international design firm IDEO (http://www.ideo.com). We are looking to interview people in the Chicago area who own or lease a Nissan Leaf (other BEVs would work also). Our goal is to learn more about the experience of driving EVs and supporting the needs of EV drivers in future car designs.

We would like to conduct interviews next Tuesday, February 26, in our downtown Chicago office. They would last from 1 to 2 hours. You will be compensated for your time.

If you are interested, send me a private message on the forum and I can send you more info. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Dan

IDEO is a design firm that uses observations and interviews to inspire our designers and fuel future concepts. For more info on IDEO check out: http://www.ideo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. We were also recently featured on 60 Minutes and CBS Morning News. You can watch the segment here to get a sense of what we do: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50141325n

Seems to be a resurgence of these ... I'm out of town that day but would have considered it. Also got 2 other calls from other firms but these were strictly phone interviews on EV ownership, etc. Getting downtown for some of us out in the 'burbs could be problematic unless of course you happen to be near one of the Metro stations? You may want to list your office location so folks know as well as timing because doubtful people could take time off for this during the day.

I looked at the chargers, (2&3,) at Whole Foods in Northbrook and they are all lit.

I also had my email to the IL toll Road answered by JNS Holdings..they said to the best of their knowledge all of the chargers are working except the one at the Lake Forest Oasis, which should be operating as soon as the deal closes..

Any free L3 chargers out there?

I have been scouting the local chargers here on the North Side because I dont know whether I'll get electric access with my horrible condo association.

There are a few L3 chargers in the area -- at least two are working -- one at the WF at Petersen and Cicero, and the Walgreens at Bryn Mawr and Clark.

However, they both require Charjit cards to operate and today I got a call back from 350green -- they are being taken over by another company (carcharging.com(?)) and so are not sending any Charjit cards until after the takeover, and a new card is instituted. However she also said the Charjit L3s cost $7 a pop. That's pretty dear for a charge.

There seem to be tons of L2 chargers all over with no-cost charging. (But I can't spend 4 hours waiting at a Walgreens.....) Are there any free, working L3 chargers in Chicagoland, however?

Thanks!

Phatcat73 said:
If you can't get power form your home base, then I don't recommend an electric car. Chargers not only give you power, they keep your battery warm for. Added range

That kind of product then will be doomed to die.

Because most Americas live in cities, and most people who could benefit most from EVs live in city centers and do short trip, inefficient stop and go city driving. Not posh suburbanites with private garages and 50 mile daily highway commutes. And most city drivers don't have private garages. It's almost all neighborhood street parking or multiunit garages that are available.

So if EVs and their needed infrastructure can't cope under such practical constraints, good luck with making it a viable choice for the masses.

hyperlexis said:
Phatcat73 said:
If you can't get power form your home base, then I don't recommend an electric car. Chargers not only give you power, they keep your battery warm for. Added range

Because most Americas live in cities, and most people who could benefit most from EVs live in city centers and do short trip, inefficient stop and go city driving. Not posh suburbanites with private garages and 50 mile daily highway commutes. And most city drivers don't have private garages. It's almost all neighborhood street parking or multiunit garages that are available.

So if EVs and their needed infrastructure can't cope under such practical constraints, good luck with making it a viable choice for the masses.
I can't disagree much. You have many valid points. Here's a response I had to another Chicago owner:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10971&p=261834&hilit=cold+chicago#p261834
However, "doomed to die" seems a little strong. Every tool has it's best use, marginal use, and worst use. Since I've never lived anywhere where I had to park on the street, it's hard for me to understand that issue. All of my previous apartments/condos have had parking, usually two spots per unit, although not always covered or reserved. For a single car family who only parks on the street, I wouldn't recommend a pure EV, but instead a plug-in hybrid and only if your driving distances warrant and you have alternative charging at work. It will be many years before charging stations are everywhere, and on-street parking will likely be the last location to be installed. Sorry, just because it may be the last place to "see the light", doesn't mean there isn't any "light."

Reddy

hyperlexis said:
Phatcat73 said:

Infrastructure is not going to happen overnight. I think your expectations are unrealistic.

Secondly have you fully thought out your plan? Public charging will cost you MORE than using your own power. And you'll never know when you'll pull up to a public station, only to see it occupied or out of order. Are you willing to accept this risk on a daily basis?

Level 2 charging runs $2/hour. That'll give you about ~20 miles per hour assuming 6.6kw OBC.
I read somewhere L3 is about $7 for 15 min. That'll give you ~30 miles.

At those rates you're paying near gas prices for the range.

In my application & at .10 kw/h, I can charge up from empty to max for $2; and get free charging at work. This'll save me about $2000/year versus running my ford escape hybrid (30mpg).

Yeah well that's one of the big issues. -- Finding free or fairly-priced charging living in an urban location. It's pretty appalling that some Walgreens and WF shops charge astronomical rates for EV charging -- while others charge nothing at all. Small wonder the pay ones I have seen have never ever had a car parked in them. Good luck paying those off....

Apparently here in Chicago they cant charge by the Kwh, only time. That definitely must be changed. Or it would be best to get an all-you-can-use flat-fee monthly pass from an EV charging company. Although I do not think Chargepoint offers the option. And Chargepoint seems to have the most public stations set up here in the city.

My WF 4 blocks away charges nothing for L2 charges (while the jerks at the big WF on North Ave. actually do charge hourly). But my local WF's L3 machine ($7 Charjit unit) is still down. The Walgreens about 4 miles away on Bryn Mawr and Clark has L2 (poss free?) and a working Charjit L3 unit. Plus there is a Nissan dealer a few miles away closer to where I work which may have free L2 and/or L3 chargers.

So there are some free public charging options sprinkled around Chicago. And using the online apps showing working chargers and cost, etc., always helps. Plus, my garage men may take pity on me and allow me just plug into a 110 outlet overnight anyway. (I still need to ask the management company about this issue). I only drive maybe 15-20 miles around town daily, so the 110 charge may do it for nightly top-offs with only occasional trips to public units needed

The only close alternative would be a Prius C or perhaps Cruze diesel or VW tdi but they still burn oil.

hyperlexis said:
Yeah well that's one of the big issues. -- Finding free or fairly-priced charging living in an urban location. It's pretty appalling that some Walgreens and WF shops charge astronomical rates for EV charging -- while others charge nothing at all. Small wonder the pay ones I have seen have never ever had a car parked in them. Good luck paying those off....

Apparently here in Chicago they cant charge by the Kwh, only time. That definitely must be changed. Or it would be best to get an all-you-can-use flat-fee monthly pass from an EV charging company. Although I do not think Chargepoint offers the option. And Chargepoint seems to have the most public stations set up here in the city.

My WF 4 blocks away charges nothing for L2 charges (while the jerks at the big WF on North Ave. actually do charge hourly). But my local WF's L3 machine ($7 Charjit unit) is still down. The Walgreens about 4 miles away on Bryn Mawr and Clark has L2 (poss free?) and a working Charjit L3 unit. Plus there is a Nissan dealer a few miles away closer to where I work which may have free L2 and/or L3 chargers.

So there are some free public charging options sprinkled around Chicago. And using the online apps showing working chargers and cost, etc., always helps. Plus, my garage men may take pity on me and allow me just plug into a 110 outlet overnight anyway. (I still need to ask the management company about this issue). I only drive maybe 15-20 miles around town daily, so the 110 charge may do it for nightly top-offs with only occasional trips to public units needed

The only close alternative would be a Prius C or perhaps Cruze diesel or VW tdi but they still burn oil.

Which WF has the free L2 charging? Also do you currently own/lease a Leaf or are you just considering at this point?

Back