Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sp4rk said:
bigtlb said:
I decided to investigate the L3 station at the Southbound Lake Forest Toll Oasis, since I work nearby and have a Charjit card I got just to allow me to use these chargers.

It is most definitely dark, nothing on the screen.

I called the number to ask them if they knew what was wrong. The lady at first tried to tell me they were having network issues, the manufacturer had been notified and they were looking into it. I then asked her if this had anything to do with the company being acquired, and she said, "well yes, that too."

She said the stations should all get fixed once the acquisition is complete, which should be sometime by the end of January. I told her I had a Charjit card, and asked if my balance would still work after the acquisition, she said yes.
I highly doubt her story. You probably spoke to Mariana Gerzanych; now their only employee?
I've been hearing that same BS from Charjit for 6 months. They're a disgrace. The L3's in the NW suburbs are not functional.
They sold cards for $25?, knowing full well their map was inaccurate, little to no support and hardly anywhere to use the card, at least in Illinois.
I-90 East doesn't work. Schaumburg never has. Ditto Palatine (2).
I was told the buyout would be complete in November and have emailed since with no replies.
I personally don't care - I charge up at home ever night and it's fine. Once every six months a quick "fill up" would be handy but otherwise love the car, simply do not rely on public charging!

I am assuming someone will want to claim the assets and put them back in operation eventually. You can't make money if you don't turn the things on.

Since I work nearby, I can periodically stop by to check on the status of Lake Forest. I'll let everyone know if/when they are reactivated.

Saw plate # EL306 on rt. 31 last week driving like a regular car! We were in the ice car and so were in stealth mode. Parked next to a white leaf at the Batavia Sams'. Was so taken aback that we forgot to look at the license plate. So there are more around. Will be at the dealer next week to get the drivers side window switch replaced. It failed while the window was up fortunately as the rain came that night. Have 21,000 mi. of trouble free miles. Even though gas prices have gone done a bit $3.25 or so around me, not buying it keeps me in the black. ;) Nissan has never said a word to me about a battery check so mayhap we'll ask about it! Currently the bat. temp graph is showing only 4 increments of temp. The gom still shows 110 - 118 at start up and miles driven hasn't been affected. Anyone have any insight on this?

Quiet here recently...
Sighting update:

Sunday Feb 10, I (305 EL Red) was northbound on Quentin Rd. crossing Lake-Cook. At the light, westbound was 307 EL Red.
Sightings are common enough now that that it's almost not worth mentioning.... but this one was a close "relative" of my Leaf (color & plate).

Even though it has been mild winter I am looking forward to the increased range of the warmer months.

OldQuadDog said:
Quiet here recently...
Sighting update:

Sunday Feb 10, I (305 EL Red) was northbound on Quentin Rd. crossing Lake-Cook. At the light, westbound was 307 EL Red.
Sightings are common enough now that that it's almost not worth mentioning.... but this one was a close "relative" of my Leaf (color & plate).

Even though it has been mild winter I am looking forward to the increased range of the warmer months.
Sorry, what do you mean by 305 and 307? Oh, do you mean EV plates???
Wasn't me even though you were VERY close to my house.
However, you say that sightings are so common? I've not seen one in ages. Ok, one last week, one 4 weeks ago.
That said ... LOVE my Leaf!!!

Well it's easy to say don't rely on public charging, just charge in a home garage -- but that only helps single family homeowners, for the most part. For EVs to catch on at all, it's absolutely critical to have a functioning, widespread L3 public charging system.

I live in the city and my condo thus far has no real charging options available. In fact the one guest who dared plug his Leaf into the garage's 110 outlet (one time) was narced on by other people to management.

So this 350Green scandal, or Charjit scandal or whatever the heck it is, is nothing to be taken lightly. Someone, frankly, should get sued for this. Or go to jail.

Supposedly the L3 charger at the Whole Foods at Peterson was just restarted by 350Green per the WF manager? True?

The one at WF on Halsted in boystown is still down the last time I checked.

Common sightings for me means average of 1 per week.
But it is most often repeats. Used to see RedLeaf regularly, not recently... driving patterns have changed.
I've seen a white one couple of times in the last month.... once also on Quentin between Palatine and Colfax.
Another white or perhaps same at a church on Smith a couple of Sundays ago.

Perhaps some do not use their Leafs as much in winter due to range and heating.
I have zero problems in snow so far. Better range would be nice. I charge to 80%, pre-heat in morning, 38 miles round trip work and 10-20 miles left at end depending on temps. Even last storm, I left before our street was plowed and did fine. I do put snow tires on for the winter as my driveway has a pretty good incline. Otherwise you can not get up without 4WD (I put snows on the Accord also).
I use the Leaf exclusively since Dec. 2011. At 12K miles and have not been to a gas station except as a passenger in 14 months.
We have 2 ICE vehicles both my wife's. She gasses up her cars and even filled the can for the blower. Only drove one for a single day when leaf was in for the recall.

Hope everyone is likewise enjoying their Leafs.

Have yet to use an L3 charger once (if we could find one working); I see that they have one at the Walgreen's at corner of Dundee (Rt. 68) and N Hicks in Palatine but it's dark and probably not operational versus the L2's which you can see their LED's from the road. Seeing another LEAF on the road (even in the dead of winter) is still a bit of a rare instance but lately the wife is driving it and I would only see them on the weekends.

On two other notes ... my renewal for 'fixed' per kWh electricity pricing is coming up and my municipality actually will have a better rate (4.96 cents/kWh) versus what the renewal is offering (5.5 cents) as well as what I'm paying now (6.6 cents); so last years use of 2,026.6 kWh at $133.76 would go down to $100.52 or about 25%. In this day and age when everything else is going up, this was a great news ... so much so that's why we're on the list for 100% EV #2 to replace our gas smart fortwo with an electric drive one.

Last note -- didn't notice any posts here about the Chicago Auto Show, anyone get a chance to go?

The lack of EV's was apparent, LEAF, Volt, FFE and C-Max Energi, Mitsu 'i' were there but not many new ones. We did see a production smart electric drive (in convertible Cabrio form) but no Fiat, VW CrossBlue or iQ's in EV form that I can recall but didn't get a chance to roam for hours this time through. Smart was offering a $500 show bonus (good for 180 days) for both gas and electric versions so was worth the trip down ... Nissan (I heard) was offering LEAF test drive's again outside McCormick Place but we've got ours and the '13 while nice doesn't temp us ... have the space for a smart only in the garage so unless something drastic happens that will be our next EV as a companion for our LEAF.

We have seen lower range using the heater a fair amount but nothing we can't live with ... L2 garage charger continues to work well, accumulated mileage just under 10K now and almost 14 months as well. When/if we get the smart, my LEAF will see much more driving as that will be the wife's main commuter and the LEAF will be mine.

hyperlexis said:
Well it's easy to say don't rely on public charging, just charge in a home garage -- but that only helps single family homeowners, for the most part. For EVs to catch on at all, it's absolutely critical to have a functioning, widespread L3 public charging system.

I live in the city and my condo thus far has no real charging options available. In fact the one guest who dared plug his Leaf into the garage's 110 outlet (one time) was narced on by other people to management.

So this 350Green scandal, or Charjit scandal or whatever the heck it is, is nothing to be taken lightly. Someone, frankly, should get sued for this. Or go to jail.

Supposedly the L3 charger at the Whole Foods at Peterson was just restarted by 350Green per the WF manager? True?

What's the latest on the 350Green / Charjit "scandal"? I know they were selling ... and I do not expect to ever see their crap working. But what is the story now that you call it that?

sp4rk said:
hyperlexis said:

What's the latest on the 350Green / Charjit "scandal"? I know they were selling ... and I do not expect to ever see their crap working. But what is the story now that you call it that?

I have no clue -- I was actually asking. Others have said they scammed the state/city/customers out of money and now have left everyone high and dry. To me that smacks of a scandal/scam operation.

hyperlexis said:
sp4rk said:
hyperlexis said:

I think we need to analyze their performance. Since I picked up my Leaf in May 2012, three L3's in Palatine have yet to come online. L2's are.
At Whole Foods Schaumburg the L2's work, L3 never has.
On the Oasis I-90, at different times L3's there (there are no L2's) have worked ... eastbound OHare hasn't for months.
I tried several downtown on 350Green's advice - none worked. Except Western and ???? on NW side.
When constantly complaining did no good, they told me nothing would get fixed until they got bought out by someone else.
So, the $21 I spent was for little more than nothing. How many others? As far as I am concerned L2's at a Walgreens / Whole Foods are a joke; probably Wags trying to "look" green. And my Nissan dealer, when bringing in my car for service as I thought it was a car problem, didn't know the difference between L2 and L3.
I simply charge up at home and leave it at that.
Despite my criticism of the INEPT 350Green, they are not needed in the big scheme of things except for L3. And that is a standard that is in possible jeopardy?

lipower said:
Has anyone seen if the L3 charger at Jewel at Western and Roscoe is still operational?
Not much help but 2 months ago it was ... one of the few that were but that can change in the Blink of an eye. (Sorry!)

sp4rk said:
lipower said:
Has anyone seen if the L3 charger at Jewel at Western and Roscoe is still operational?
Not much help but 2 months ago it was ... one of the few that were but that can change in the Blink of an eye. (Sorry!)

I also used that one a couple of months ago. I have been by the DC fast at Walgreens on Ridge/Broadway, and Whole Foods on Peterson and Cicero(?) and those were both working within the last week. Each location also has two Level 2 chargers with a good track record just in case.

Sledge said:
Sadly, none of the L3 chargers in Chicagoland appear to be working despite the fact that they show up in the Carwings system. 350Green is a joke, fly-by-night operation. They delivered less than 20% of what they were supposed to after eating through 80% of the city contract funds.

I agree with most of this. 350 Green is fortunately being acquired. I think JNS is the name of the company. For L3 stations I have had good luck with Whole Foods on Peterson/Cicero, Walgreens on Broadway/Ridge and Jewel on Western/Roscoe.

I would love to know if the L3 charger is working in the Midway cell phone lot.

redLEAF said:
Not to much action on this thread as of late, doubtful that its someone who is on the forum but just in case, also as this is the second sighting (forgot the vanity plates on it the first time) saw a white LEAF on Northwest Hwy in Palatine with the very distinct vanity plate "ZERO GAS".

Have seen many more Volts than LEAF's and one parked alongside me at the Menards over in Long Grove recently (he backed it in so assume he knew we both drove EV's).

I myself have been doing some other car shopping on two fronts, first one is my youngest son will turn the magic insurance age of 25 in a few months so he's looking to buy his own set of wheels (drives our smart for two coupe currently) and so far his short list is the Toyota / Subaru FRS / BRZ twins, Hyundai Veloster and Prius C but others with 'sticks' as long as long as they're fun to drive --- I've been teaching him the finer points of clutches, etc. on my old '99 Miata and so far so good ... but I'm glad he has a few months. I'd let him inherit the Miata but he needs this through our winters and w/o track control, etc. it's a handful to say the least for a new stick driver. These new manual cars have hill holder, etc. and are even easier to drive so should be fun.

The other car I'm shopping for is a replacement for our '09 VW Routan as I no longer really need the 3rd row seats but do still need full size seats for five adults and utility. I thought I was close on the Ford C-Max but that back seat is a bit tight and space is a bit limited, even worse for the Energi plug-in. I like higher riding cars for our long trips (our LEAF does fine as our daily commuter and weekend errands) as it really helps for traffic and avoiding back ups, etc. so crossovers, SUV's are on the list, just test drove a TDI (diesel) VW Touareg which does much better than the Routan on fuel, actually even a bit better than a gas hybrid they also offer so we'll see.

The reason I even mention it is that I just completed yet another survey on future alternative fuel vehicles and what I'd be willing to pay versus what kind of EV range, etc. --- on the VW Touareg Hybrid for instance, it goes for $62K and gets a bit better than the regular gas V6 which does 16/23 for 20/24 city/hwy; the diesel gets 20/29 but most owners get 30/32 on long trips as well as a tank gets close to 700 miles. PHEV's just haven't been introduced yet for a decent trip SUV that carries five with a load, perhaps not as much as a minivan but I'm sure (hopefully) it's not that far away.

Our LEAF will go in for its first year battery check at the end of next month, probably will have about 9K on it by then, it's been a great first year, no real surprises and very low costs to run (just a tire rotation at 7.5K a little while ago).

Hope everyone had a great holiday --

I work with the Leaf owner with plate ZERO GAS. :) He and I both have a Leaf.

brianchi73 said:
redLEAF said:
Not to much action on this thread as of late, doubtful that its someone who is on the forum but just in case, also as this is the second sighting (forgot the vanity plates on it the first time) saw a white LEAF on Northwest Hwy in Palatine with the very distinct vanity plate "ZERO GAS".

--

I work with the Leaf owner with plate ZERO GAS. :) He and I both have a Leaf.

small world indeed -- your co-worker should let us know how his/her LEAF is doing when they can on the forum, I seem to see more LEAF's with regular, vanity, environmental, etc. plates than the cheaper and 2-year duration 'EL' series EV plates that IL issues so if some knew (via this forum, the Nissan dealer's typically don't mention it) they could save a few bucks as well. Also, on this thread a newbie from the North Shore is looking for feedback on leasing so others here may want to post their LEAF leasing experience is they went that route. I hate to give money away (forgoing the 10% IL EPA cash rebate) so besides that I'll keep it for more than 3 years or so, one main reason NOT to lease.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=11587

brianchi73 said:
Sledge said:
Sadly, none of the L3 chargers in Chicagoland appear to be working despite the fact that they show up in the Carwings system. 350Green is a joke, fly-by-night operation. They delivered less than 20% of what they were supposed to after eating through 80% of the city contract funds.

I agree with most of this. 350 Green is fortunately being acquired. I think JNS is the name of the company. For L3 stations I have had good luck with Whole Foods on Peterson/Cicero, Walgreens on Broadway/Ridge and Jewel on Western/Roscoe.

Not sure where you get JNS, it's Car Charging.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/carchargings-proposed-acquisition-350green-moves-123000535.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If it actually closes. I would pay $1 for it in its present condition. Absolute disgrace.

sp4rk said:
brianchi73 said:
Sledge said:

Not sure where you get JNS, it's Car Charging.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/carchargings-proposed-acquisition-350green-moves-123000535.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If it actually closes. I would pay $1 for it in its present condition. Absolute disgrace.

It was Car Charging, but they've already backed out.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/02/11/jns-power-350-green-llc-executes-formal-letter-of-/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apologies ... I was not checking so closely as I don't need charging really.

I'll believe this when I see it too. I see no value in it.

Level 3 is fine but limited to Leaf's, right? And service for Leaf in Chicago, while necessary, how many Leafs are there in Chicago? Do we really expect sales in Chicago to "soar" given the local dealer care less attitude about them?

Level 2, unless outside a restaurant (1 hour minimum stay), a movie theater, or hotel, is useless. Not Walgreens, not Whole Foods who are simply pandering to "greenies" or whatever insult you choose to bestow open us! :)

sp4rk said:
Apologies ... I was not checking so closely as I don't need charging really.

I'll believe this when I see it too. I see no value in it.

Level 3 is fine but limited to Leaf's, right? And service for Leaf in Chicago, while necessary, how many Leafs are there in Chicago? Do we really expect sales in Chicago to "soar" given the local dealer care less attitude about them?

Level 2, unless outside a restaurant (1 hour minimum stay), a movie theater, or hotel, is useless. Not Walgreens, not Whole Foods who are simply pandering to "greenies" or whatever insult you choose to bestow open us! :)
I think 6+ kW chargers make places where you might stay 30 minutes or more a reasonable location for L2. Still not useful for a drug store, but a grocery store could make sense - an extra 10 to 12 miles is useful for local running around, where 5 to 6 miles (@3.3) probably falls into the 'why bother?' category.

Back