Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure whether I saw redLEAF's car yesterday driving south on I-94 and exiting at Tower Road. It was definitely a red LEAF driven by a female driver with dark blonde hair and glasses, but I don't remember whether the plates were 294 EL or 296 EL. In any case, shortly after the LEAF left I-94, I saw a blue Volt with no front plates. I even saw a third EV that same day, but that was cheating. I drove by the Nissan dealership near my house. :)

lukati said:
I am not sure whether I saw redLEAF's car yesterday driving south on I-94 and exiting at Tower Road. It was definitely a red LEAF driven by a female driver with dark blonde hair and glasses, but I don't remember whether the plates were 294 EL or 296 EL. In any case, shortly after the LEAF left I-94, I saw a blue Volt with no front plates. I even saw a third EV that same day, but that was cheating. I drove by the Nissan dealership near my house. :)

my wife has been driving our LEAF all week but that wasn't her -- we're 307 EL; I've seen OldQuadDog's red LEAF a few times on the road but neither of those are his plate; if it's 296 then it's prolix74's LEAF (his is red also) ... unfortunately there are so few of us most could be found on the forum!

Had to post this sighting before I forget ... saw a brand new silver LEAF in Buffalo Grove this morning on the way into work, still had the front dealer ad plate (Arlington Nissan) and yellow temp plate on the rear so at least that's encouraging that we're still seeing a few LEAF sales in/around Chicagoland. It's also good to see at least a few will be attending the National Plug-In event on Sunday in Naperville, still unsure myself but had seen that 26 had signed up a few days ago, certainly not as much interest as CA but a good start -- hopefully those who do go post a few photos for those who couldn't attend!

Here are a few options for level 2 and 3 charging. Also the Nissan dealer should be able to provide some level 2 juice which is less than one mile away.

GERALD NISSAN OF NAPERVILLE
1575 West Ogden Ave Naperville, IL 60540

https://350green.com/locate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 52
If it helps anyone going to the Plug in Event..........
At my Southern Elk Grove Village (Devon & 83) office I have a 208Vac outside outlet that can be available for charging.
So if you have a modified Leaf trickle charger (L6-20 plug) (or an adapter for L6-20 to standard 120v wall) you can grab some free KW.
It was installed for my Leaf... mostly for the winter.
The business will be closed Sunday. The outlet does have both an inside disconnect and is lockable so you will need to let me know if your interested so I can activate and assure accessiblity and give you the location and my particulars.
Hope to see some of you there.
George

Finally saw a LEAF in the wild at 7am this morning. Going east while I was going west on 95th St near Roberts Rd. It was silver but I didn’t see what kind of plates it had.

Hi all,

I'm planning on being a leaf owner. I'm researching and waiting to be able to pre-order a 2013 model. Just thought I'd introduce myself. Thus far my research has been via the wiki and the general forums. With 103 pages of posts, i've got a bit of looking to do to see how well a Leaf acts in the Chicagoland climate. I've got a number of questions I'm looking to answer, but I'll be a good forum member and make sure my questions weren't answered previously before I start asking away and possibly duplicating questions.

I'm in the New Lenox area and have yet to see a Leaf here. I work in Burr Ridge, and I've had 2 sightings there, but they could have been the same car, as both were blue. Any way, wish me luck and I look forward to "speaking" with you all in the future.

Paul

Welcome to the forum! :)

As you might already know 2013 Nissan Leaf model will start production in USA, in December of this year.
It's been proven that it will have new interior designs, new heating pump during winter months (which will greatly increase your range during that season); new battery manufacture- so we hoping to see longer range, and 6.6kw on board system so it will decrease charging time in half. It's rumored to be cheaper, more range up to 150 miles, but we will see :)

tahlpaul said:
Hi all,

I'm planning on being a leaf owner. I'm researching and waiting to be able to pre-order a 2013 model. Just thought I'd introduce myself. Thus far my research has been via the wiki and the general forums. With 103 pages of posts, i've got a bit of looking to do to see how well a Leaf acts in the Chicagoland climate. I've got a number of questions I'm looking to answer, but I'll be a good forum member and make sure my questions weren't answered previously before I start asking away and possibly duplicating questions.

I'm in the New Lenox area and have yet to see a Leaf here. I work in Burr Ridge, and I've had 2 sightings there, but they could have been the same car, as both were blue. Any way, wish me luck and I look forward to "speaking" with you all in the future.

Paul

+1 welcome!!

We haven't seen too many new folks from Chicagoland as of late on the forum so it's great to see someone new, there is as you mentioned a wealth of information on this thread for those in the area (dealer experience, home charging, winter driving range, lower cost EV plates from IL, IL EPA rebates, etc., etc.) so it may take awhile but it's worth it to go through. In your listing of the two cities you would possibly travel between (New Lenox & Burr Ridge) it looks like a 44 mile R/T commute so I would think still OK even in the coldest temps but would depend on other factors as well but that's something to check out. At this point you'll also need to weigh the difference between a '12 and '13 to see if saving a few thousand (or more) versus what you'll get and use unless it's a timing thing anyway (i.e., you can wait for a '13 to be ordered) -- happy reading and if you don't find what you're looking for be sure to ask!

redLEAF said:
In your listing of the two cities you would possibly travel between (New Lenox & Burr Ridge) it looks like a 44 mile R/T commute so I would think still OK even in the coldest temps but would depend on other factors as well but that's something to check out. At this point you'll also need to weigh the difference between a '12 and '13 to see if saving a few thousand (or more) versus what you'll get and use unless it's a timing thing anyway (i.e., you can wait for a '13 to be ordered) -- happy reading and if you don't find what you're looking for be sure to ask!

Thanks redLEAF,

I've been looking really closely at my daily commute. I'm an Android user, and I've been using My Tracks to record my daily commute. Using that, I've found that in to work I go 22 miles with an average speed of 30 mph and max speed of 57 mph and gain an elevation of 995 ft. Same values for the return, only there is a drop in elevation. My goal is to follow the recommendation of charging to 80% as much as possible.

I'm waiting on the '13 primarily for the 6.6 kW charger as well as for the reported cold weather and battery chemistry/capacity changes being reported. I'm coming from an '05 Prius with 108 k miles and is still running well (touch wood), so as much as I want a Leaf right away, I can afford to wait.

You mention "saving a few thousand (or more)". Your context it seems to indicate that a '12 would cost less. Is that based on taking something off the lot? My research seems to show that the jury is still out on if the cost will go up or actually come down. My own hope is that the lower cost/discounts for the Volt will influence a lower price for the Leaf. At any rate, I would be willing to pay a bit more for faster charging and 25% improvement in cold weather.

Paul

tahlpaul said:
redLEAF said:
In your listing of the two cities you would possibly travel between (New Lenox & Burr Ridge) it looks like a 44 mile R/T commute so I would think still OK even in the coldest temps but would depend on other factors as well but that's something to check out. At this point you'll also need to weigh the difference between a '12 and '13 to see if saving a few thousand (or more) versus what you'll get and use unless it's a timing thing anyway (i.e., you can wait for a '13 to be ordered) -- happy reading and if you don't find what you're looking for be sure to ask!

Thanks redLEAF,

I've been looking really closely at my daily commute. I'm an Android user, and I've been using My Tracks to record my daily commute. Using that, I've found that in to work I go 22 miles with an average speed of 30 mph and max speed of 57 mph and gain an elevation of 995 ft. Same values for the return, only there is a drop in elevation. My goal is to follow the recommendation of charging to 80% as much as possible.

I'm waiting on the '13 primarily for the 6.6 kW charger as well as for the reported cold weather and battery chemistry/capacity changes being reported. I'm coming from an '05 Prius with 108 k miles and is still running well (touch wood), so as much as I want a Leaf right away, I can afford to wait.

You mention "saving a few thousand (or more)". Your context it seems to indicate that a '12 would cost less. Is that based on taking something off the lot? My research seems to show that the jury is still out on if the cost will go up or actually come down. My own hope is that the lower cost/discounts for the Volt will influence a lower price for the Leaf. At any rate, I would be willing to pay a bit more for faster charging and 25% improvement in cold weather.

Paul

On the "saving a few thousand (or more)" -- has more to do with what's available on the lot now than the expected difference between a '12 and '13, I don't think Nissan could get away with too much of a price increase as well as we're expecting a possible decrease with making them in the U.S. versus importing or perhaps a net zero gain in price with new features/capabilities and making them here. Some of what people are looking for also concern interior color choice change (darker color than the light beige) as well as OEM leather seating, etc. As we get closer to the '13's coming out I would imagine even better deals (although you won't find a glut of LEAF's on dealer lots around Chicago anyway) so may make it tempting -- a few more thousand miles on your Prius' won't make much of a difference on trade-in value at over a 100K miles so you have time on your side

If anyone would like to learn more about solar installations around Illinois, there is a Solar tour that is being held this Saturday October 6th. Hopefully the weather cooperates...

http://www.illinoissolartour.org/North_Suburbs.html

You’re Invited...
The Illinois Solar Tour, on Saturday, October 6th, 2012 is a FREE PUBLIC
OPEN HOUSE to demonstrate how home and business owners are utilizing
solar, wind, geothermal heat pumps, passive solar design, and energy
efficiency to reduce their dependence on fossil fuels and to be energy
independent.

You can visit any site at any time between 10 am and 3 pm. Homeowners or
ISEA Docents will be available at each site to provide information, share
experiences and answer questions. We suggest you dress for the weather as
most, if not all, activity will be occurring outside.

Attend the Solar Tour to:
• meet people who have renewable energy installations, learn why they did it,
the process, what they love about it and lessons learned.
• learn about the different technologies and see how they are installed
• hear about how different renewable energy technologies can work together
• discover that it is possible to live off-grid using renewable energy
• find out all of the ways you can use renewable energy to power your life

Attend the tour and get all of your
renewable energy questions answered!

Another (red) LEAF spotted ... this time at the Hobby Lobby / Ace Hardware strip mall on Palatine Road just a little earlier today. Regular IL plates again, believe they were BCT 105 so perhaps a simple plate transfer; didn't catch the Nissan dealer ID so the word still needs to be spread on the EV 'EL' plates availability. 'lipower' thanks for sharing the photo ... not the highest EL plate number (336 was already posted) but that's a neat number anyway. Almost time to rotate my tires as coming up on 7,500. Car still performing quite well although I missed taking it this past weekend for a trip up to Door County in WI (600 miles over 3 days) as it simply wouldn't be possible. Did see a few Volts (mostly in Chevy dealer lots) and a blue LEAF heading south on I-94 near the WI border (going too fast to check the tags) this past Friday late afternoon.

Hi all,

I've finally read through all the posts in this thread. There was lots a great information here (thanks!), but I still have some questions. Some are cold weather/Chicago base, and some are general. Hopefully some of you may be able to answer some or point me to the right place if it has already been answered. Here goes:

• 1. There is (mostly) no cell coverage in the garage at work, and there is a 110 outlet that I could use occasionally to charge during the work day. Is there an impact or limitation with charging without cell coverage?

2. I park in a garage at home, not temp controlled but attached, and in a temp controlled garage at work. Will the work garage negate the impact of the cold, seeing as it will be at a comfortable temp before getting on the road?

3. Is it okay for the battery to opportunity charge every chance I get? For example, at work there is 110 available in the parking garage. I'm figuring that on most if not every day, I will be able to make it to and from without using that L1 charge, but since it is available, should I be using it to "top off" just in case on a daily basis? My gut says it would be better to drain as much as possible before charging again, but that may be lingering NiMH thinking and no longer apply.

4. Have any of you kept the XM NavTraffic and NavWeather service after the 3 month trial? What is the impression of the Navigation and traffic system in the Chicago area? I have an 05 Prius with the built in Navigation. It is very hard to use, as example you need to know every possible name for a road (LaGrange Rd/Rt 45) because there are no results if you don't match what it is looking for exactly. Just curious if the Leaf Nav is something that would be used, or only if I'm looking for a charging station?

5. Are new charging stations populated on the NAV automatically? And also, is there a legal way to update the NAV without having to pay >$150 to Nissan?

6. Has anyone had to use the roadside assistance because they ran out of charge? What was that experience like? Do they have a portable charger, or do they just tow you to the nearest charging station/dealer?

7. How much is Carwings going to cost after the 3 years are up? How about the roadside assistance?

So far, I'm still thinking I'll be getting the '13. I need the peace of mind that the extended cold weather range (with heat) will give. I'll be driving 44 miles round trip 5 days a week all year. I'm not a basic transportation kind of guy, so I'm gonna want heat in the winter and AC in the summer. If I can't do that without worrying every day about if I'll make it home, it just isn't worth it to me.

Thanks in advance for any response I may get. I really do appreciate all the information I've gathered thus far from reading your posts.

Paul

OK, here is my take on a few of these --

1. There is (mostly) no cell coverage in the garage at work, and there is a 110 outlet that I could use occasionally to charge during the work day. Is there an impact or limitation with charging without cell coverage? cell coverage is not needed to charge the car; if you mean that you may not be able to connect to the car via Carwings that still should not affect the ability to charge it; you may just not be able to connect to the car remotely

2. I park in a garage at home, not temp controlled but attached, and in a temp controlled garage at work. Will the work garage negate the impact of the cold, seeing as it will be at a comfortable temp before getting on the road? it will for only while it's parked there, and as it's all day that should benefit not being exposed to extreme cold, bigger concern is long term exposure to extreme cold say while at the airport or if always leaving the car outside but a few here do leave their cars outside (either too much junk in the garage or carport, etc.) and due to the relatively mild winter last year suffered no ill effects

3. Is it okay for the battery to opportunity charge every chance I get? For example, at work there is 110 available in the parking garage. I'm figuring that on most if not every day, I will be able to make it to and from without using that L1 charge, but since it is available, should I be using it to "top off" just in case on a daily basis? My gut says it would be better to drain as much as possible before charging again, but that may be lingering NiMH thinking and no longer apply. I would not recommend constant topping off but with your commute this shouldn't be a problem, my wife's daily commute is much shorter than mine so if she drives our LEAF a few days in a row w/o any side trips we simply don't plug the car in --- does require a bit of pre-planning but hasn't been an issue

4. Have any of you kept the XM NavTraffic and NavWeather service after the 3 month trial? What is the impression of the Navigation and traffic system in the Chicago area? I have an 05 Prius with the built in Navigation. It is very hard to use, as example you need to know every possible name for a road (LaGrange Rd/Rt 45) because there are no results if you don't match what it is looking for exactly. Just curious if the Leaf Nav is something that would be used, or only if I'm looking for a charging station? I've also had Sirius traffic on another car (XM & Sirius merged) and its not all that good so I didn't renew it -- to be honest regular AM traffic radio is actually better (I check WBBM before most trips prone to traffic slow downs and it's free)

5. Are new charging stations populated on the NAV automatically? And also, is there a legal way to update the NAV without having to pay >$150 to Nissan? pretty much or you can opt to check for new ones as well -- currently no charge for this service

6. Has anyone had to use the roadside assistance because they ran out of charge? What was that experience like? Do they have a portable charger, or do they just tow you to the nearest charging station/dealer? not me, at least not yet

7. How much is Carwings going to cost after the 3 years are up? How about the roadside assistance? good question, as none of the cars they've sold have reached the 3 year mark I don't think this has been shared or even decided yet but I'll defer the the first group who own '11's out west for comment

tahlpaul said:
3. Is it okay for the battery to opportunity charge every chance I get? For example, at work there is 110 available in the parking garage. I'm figuring that on most if not every day, I will be able to make it to and from without using that L1 charge, but since it is available, should I be using it to "top off" just in case on a daily basis? My gut says it would be better to drain as much as possible before charging again, but that may be lingering NiMH thinking and no longer apply.
It would help your battery. Charging to 80% is better (for long term battery health) than charging to 100%. Since you say you could make it to work and back home on one charge, plugging in at work should let you charge to 80% at home and work, and that's what I'd do.

Anyone else get this direct mail piece (would have posted a photo but here is a blog post as well) ... current LEAF owner gets a Visa Prepaid card with each test drive as well:

"Interested in the Nissan Leaf, why not take a drive?

What: Nissan is introducing zero-emission mobility to Chicagoland with the 100 percent electric Nissan LEAF. Now, thanks to a special program with Morton Arboretum, consumers can learn more about electric cars, and help to save trees in the region at the same time.

Nissan is hosting a special consumer education and drive program for the all-electric Nissan LEAF at Morton Arboretum on Oct. 13-14 and Oct. 20-21. Visitors can drive the LEAF and take part in a 30 minute education session on the benefits of driving an electric car. Nissan is donating $25 to Morton Arboretum for each on-site Nissan LEAF test drive.

When: Saturday, Oct. 13 - Sunday, Oct. 14; Saturday, Oct. 20 - Sunday, Oct. 21, 2012

Where: Morton Arboretum, 4100 Lincoln Ave., Lisle, IL 60532"

Back