Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dfriedla said:
<snip>
My ability to keep this car depends on its ability to drive from downtown to the New Buffalo, Mich. area on a fairly regular basis. The trip is about 65 miles, and my normal route is LSD—>Stony Island—>Skyway—>Ind. Toll Road—>94.
Do you drive that route in the winter? How long do you plan on keeping the car (ie. expected degradation of battery over a few years)? When you park at work can you park in the shade or underground? Hopefully this is not your only car.

In no particular order:

I drive the route much less frequently in the winter, but it does happen occasionally.

It is my only car; it's a 39-month lease. I don't really drive that much, so I'm hoping to delay battery degradation as much as possible.

And yes, I park indoors at work and at home.

I think this will depend entirely on you. Driving 65 miles in the Chicago winter on a single charge is very doable. But it is not an absolute no-brainer. You will need to learn how to drive the car efficiently. The good news is that you have a few months to get to know the car before you need to drive it efficiently. These months will give you confidence that you can make it when the January/February freeze arrives.

lukati said:
I think this will depend entirely on you. Driving 65 miles in the Chicago winter on a single charge is very doable. But it is not an absolute no-brainer. You will need to learn how to drive the car efficiently. The good news is that you have a few months to get to know the car before you need to drive it efficiently. These months will give you confidence that you can make it when the January/February freeze arrives.
My rough estimate for the Volt has been about 2/3rds EV range in the winter. 45+ spring/summer/fall and 30+ winter. Have you guys figured similar 2/3rds for the LEAF. I suspect he may have to limit/eliminate his heater usage to be safe? (using seat/steering?)

scottf200 said:
My rough estimate for the Volt has been about 2/3rds EV range in the winter. 45+ spring/summer/fall and 30+ winter. Have you guys figured similar 2/3rds for the LEAF. I suspect he may have to limit/eliminate his heater usage to be safe? (using seat/steering?)

I'm showing about 25-30% drop in efficiency from summer to winter.
edit; That's just wall to wheel efficiency. I guess you would have to add battery capacity loss at lower temps. I haven't collected any capacity/range data
7625734126_60cc07ed67_b.jpg

Dino said:
scottf200 said:
I'm showing about 25-30% drop in efficiency from summer to winter. edit; That's just wall to wheel efficiency. I guess you would have to add battery capacity loss at lower temps. I haven't collected any capacity/range data
Thanks for the information. Seems similar to the Volt. I've certainly have gotten 30-35 ev miles in the winter months. BTW, my ComEd RRTP hourly pgm also gets me $0.0848 (vs $0.1150 standard ComEd). I've tracked since mid-2009.

As an update, I made the trip tonight on a full charge without problems. Used D on the highway and Eco on the surface streets; made it with an 18-mile buffer. It dropped as low as 12 during the trip; I was keeping a close eye on the GPS distance estimate and the miles remaining estimate.

So I think as long as no one rams the girl driving the pretty electric car sloooowly in the right lane, I should be good...at least during the summer. ;-) I do have to rethink the winter, though.

Have you guys noticed any specific temperature at which your range starts to drop? The salesman said it was well below zero, but in the last week I have learned to take anything that guy said with a heaping tablespoon of salt. (He not only told me the car had a spare tire, but that it could get me 100 miles safely. To quote the manual, "This vehicle does not have a spare tire." Not impressive.)

dfriedla said:
So I think as long as no one rams the girl driving the pretty electric car sloooowly in the right lane, I should be good...at least during the summer. ;-) I do have to rethink the winter, though.
Having a plan B is important for the winter because there are conditions during the Chicago winter when 65 miles is too far: heavy snowfall and slow traffic. Having to defrost the windshield and melt the snow in slow traffic is very costly and eats up your range. It is a classic dilemma. ;) If you don't do it you cannot drive safely, but by doing it you know that you probably won't make it home. This happened to me once during the last winter. But I had scouted out and tested the charging stations along my route ahead of time and had several options when disaster struck. I ended up doing some early grocery shopping while getting an hour of free juice. I did have to dig out the car and clear the snow afterwards though. My solution for the coming winter is to just not drive under these conditions. I'll just wait until after rush hour has passed.

rely on counting bars rather than the miles on the guessometer.
figure out how many miles you are getting per bar by observation. that is how I calculate range on a trip and I watch each bar as it goes away -- on a long drive -- to adjust my speed.
I typically get 6 miles per bar with a miles/kWh reading of 4.3 to 5.

I did my 63-mile drive yesterday -- the regular one -- freeway 90% and some streets. Got home with 2 plus bars.
that is in good weather and 15 months after ownership began, and very careful driving -- very very little 65+mph.

At interstate velocities range declines rapidly (60mph+) My routes routinely have me at 50 or so. Range is not a concern and we show 4.3 daily. Others keep quite a diary. In the winter if the car is kept inside a garage it will go some farther than if stored outside. Mine came Jan. 5 2012 the warm (as things go) winter had the gom showing 100 mi. + regularly and 75 mi. trips were frequent. It actually amazes me how many people on the tollway will peddle along at 53-54 mph behind me, the car will comfortably cruise at 70 but the gom goes down rapidly. Catching a slow truck helps also. A store called Five below stocks usb powered fans. This works to augment the defroster, or the heater/ac. Haven't seen anyone coment on carrying a spare extension cord. On the chance that outlet(s) are available but too far away we keep a 50 footer in the back. Snow can pile up in the wrong place at the wrong time. Really heavy duty cords are available at Harbour freight & tool. Leafs are quiet and smooth many times we"re doing 45 in a 25 so a radar detector has been a real asset. Welcome to the community!

Just got back from the mail box with a rebate check from the state :eek: Filed 1-12-12 recieved 7-25-12! We hope this column gets filled with fullfilled rebate annoucements soon.

Just jumped a Caddy with a dead battery. Funny, he's about the only person who didn't ask me 'what do you do if the battery runs out?'

but don't try this at home folks
"LEAF cannot be used as a booster
vehicle because it cannot supply
enough power to start a gasoline
engine."

tech01 said:
Just got back from the mail box with a rebate check from the state :eek: Filed 1-12-12 recieved 7-25-12! We hope this column gets filled with fullfilled rebate annoucements soon.

+1 my check finally came today as well, :D submitted original paperwork 12/27/11, came up for 'further review' this past mid-June, check was cut 7/20; mailed 7/23 and arrived today, as mine was an SL was for $3,725. Hopefully we'll see a few more in this wave. Got my eyes on a Ford C-Max Energi plug-in as well so hopefully they'll extend the program (even partially) to it as they include the Volt so not just exclusive to 'pure' EV's. Will be sending an initial information request soon to IL EPA contacts as Ford finally released the pricing for it and the federal credit amount was listed as well. I'll post anything in the way of a reply when I get one --- have updated sign' as well; nice to see they haven't run out of funds (yet) ...

redLEAF said:
tech01 said:

+1 my check finally came today as well, :D submitted original paperwork 12/27/11, came up for 'further review' this past mid-June, check was cut 7/20; mailed 7/23 and arrived today, as mine was an SL was for $3,725...

Ditto

ForestWattaker said:
redLEAF said:
Last EL series plate at least reported by a Chicagoland MNL forum member was 313 EL so the number is still quite low.

We got our plates (332 EL) about a month ago, but I can't be sure they're issued in consecutive order.

Got our plates this week... #347. Also, noticed the sticker and registration says it expires Dec 2013, or a year and a half from the June 2012 registration date, but we paid the $35 for 2 years. Before I contact the Secretary of State, did this happen to everyone else or know why this would be?

MeVirtually said:
ForestWattaker said:
redLEAF said:
Last EL series plate at least reported by a Chicagoland MNL forum member was 313 EL so the number is still quite low.

We got our plates (332 EL) about a month ago, but I can't be sure they're issued in consecutive order.

Got our plates this week... #347. Also, noticed the sticker and registration says it expires Dec 2013, or a year and a half from the June 2012 registration date, but we paid the $35 for 2 years. Before I contact the Secretary of State, did this happen to everyone else or know why this would be?

All IL EL series plates expire in December every two years (similar to a few other series) so you can get a pro-rated charge which will vary depending on the time of the year you register. You didn't mention when you ordered them but would assume if you just got them it would have been on or before June 14th and this being the first year registration its the full $35 (see link below); if you waited to June 15th it should have been $27:

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/vsd522.pdf

PS -- highest EL plate number so far so that's encouraging as it at least continues to climb!

Ah, thanks for that. It doesn't make a lot of sense that someone who got them in January pays the same amount as someone in May, but that's Illinois. The SOS probably figures that we're not paying $99, we should just be happy. It's definitely an interesting interpretation of the law that states, "In no event may the registration fee for electric vehicles exceed $18 per registration year." I guess the registration year is a calendar year, not a rolling year.

I just received my rebate for installing EV charger in garage. Turnaround time about 45 days.

Interesting initial response from the IL EPA as to including the Ford C-Max Energi in the IL EPA EV rebate program ... reading this definition I would believe eliminate BOTH the C-Max Energi plug-in and Prius plug-in's as they do indeed use a 'regular' gas engine not a range extender generator like the Volt does:

"I haven’t looked into this Ford vehicle yet, but let me use some EV terms to describe what is eligible and what isn’t. Our rebate program is for Battery Electric Vehicles (i.e., Leaf) and for Extended Range Electric Vehicles (i.e., Volt). As you know, the EREVs use a small gasoline-powered generator to recharge the batteries while in use, but the generator does not actually power the vehicle. If there is a gasoline engine on the vehicle that directly powers the motors/engine/vehicle, then it will be considered a Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV), and will not be eligible. It must be at least an EREV to be eligible, but again, I have yet to research the upcoming Ford EV you referenced to see what type of EV it is."

For those who haven't yet put a home 'charger' in ... I myself know nothing of Blink as they were never out here in the midwest but I'm sure our west coast forum members may have a lot to say about them as well as check the Blink specific threads elsewhere on the forum; I'm quite happy with my choice of EVSE's (a Schneider EVlink installed by my own hand-picked electrician, unit + install offset by a 50% rebate from IL Commerce) but nice to see more alternatives for the next wave of EV's in IL:

EV Project offers Free Blink® Chargers to EV Drivers and Commercial Host Sites in Chicago

SAN FRANCISCO and CHICAGO – Wednesday, August 1, 2012 – ECOtality, Inc. (NASDAQ:ECTY), a leader in clean electric transportation and storage technologies, announced today it will offer its Blink® smart charging stations free to residents and commercial host sites of the greater metropolitan Chicago area as part of its expansion of The EV Project, a public-private partnership with the Department of Energy.

“Now residents and businesses in Northern Illinois interested in electric transportation in the Chicago region can join The EV Project and help us build a nationwide network of electric vehicle charging stations”, said Don Karner, Chief Innovation Officer of ECOtality, Inc. “By signing up for a free charger, EV owners can take part in this massive research project that can help reduce our country’s dependence on foreign oil. We are excited about bringing The EV Project to the greater Chicago region. With the expansion of this new market, The EV project is now in nine states and 21 major metropolitan areas throughout the country.”

Qualified Chicago-area residents, who have taken ownership of either the Nissan LEAF or Chevy Volt, will receive a free residential Blink wall mount charger as well as an installation credit up to $400, subject to certain conditions. Residents and commercial hosts interested in participating can sign up at http://www.theevproject.com/sign-up.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or by emailing [email protected].

“ComEd is pleased to be a utility partner to the EV Project”, said Michael McMahan, ComEd’s vice president of Smart Grid and Technology. “The Chicago region is quickly becoming nationally recognized as a leader in the deployment of EV charging infrastructure. The EV Project complements the extensive work that ComEd has done to date in collaboration with other Illinois stakeholders to prepare the region for consumer adoption of EVs, and we look forward to supporting the EV Project.”

To learn more about The EV Project opportunities in the Chicago area and meet with local EV experts, save the date for a Host Partners Forum on August 20th at the InterContinental at 10 am CT. Details on this event will be released through a media advisory and on Blink’s Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/blinknetwork" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

ECOtality is the project manager of The EV Project, a research initiative to help build America’s future EV infrastructure. To date, The EV Project has gathered more than 33 million miles of EV driver data that will serve to support the deployment of EVs in key markets. The project is a public-private partnership, funded in part by the U.S. Department of Energy through a federal stimulus grant and made possible by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA). For more information about The EV Project, please visit http://www.theevproject.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back