Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WetEV said:
GRA said:
As I've repeatedly stated that your situation is very different than that of most Americans,
As is your situation very different from most people. BEVs would work for a lot of people before they will work for you.
I've never said otherwise, although as we re-urbanize and households continue to shrink (with the largest U.S. household size demographic, for the first time ever, being singles like me), more and more people are choosing/able to go car-less/car-lite. It's unlikely that most of the country will ever live like NYC residents, the majority of which don't own cars, but we are moving that way. And outside the U.S., especially in the countries that will see the most income/car growth over the next several decades, I'm considerably more typical.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
As for longer-ranged affordable BEVs, once they arrive they may certainly be usable as some people's sole car, although I expect they still won't have enough range to take more than 5-10% of that market, given current and (my guess) likely near/midterm conditions as well as consumer needs/desires/expectations. We'll see.
Change happens over time. Hybrid cars, for example. Larger up front cost, lower running expense. Break even point is around $1.50 gasoline or less.

US_HEV_market_share_1999_2014.png

If longer ranged affordable BEVs hit 5% market share by 2020 I'll be surprised. And pleased. Hybrids have not done so.
I'm not expecting it to happen by 2020 if things continue much as they are, more like the end of the Gen 2 model runs, say 2022-24. I expect PHEVs will remain the mainstream choice for now, as they can provide most of the benefit at a lower price, one which is approaching the point where the TCO difference is probably not significant for those who are willing to make a small financial sacrifice to get the other benefits, environmental or other. I think getting to a 20 mile AER PHEV for $25k MSRP is more important for now than a 200 mile AER BEV for $35k.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
And yet, the fraction of people who find BEVs compelling given their current capabilities, even when bribed with other people's money, is minimal. We know that there's some even more minimal fraction who will drive this or that type of AFV regardless of the cost, because they're enthusiasts or ideologues, but we can't count on them for significant change.
I don't see how we get significant change anytime soon. I have, and I will, work for change that can be achieved.
Right, which is why I stay away from the 'ideal' choice of enthusaists and opt for the one(s) I think mainstream consumers will be willing to adopt in large numbers. That means minimum change from what they're used to i.e. minimal learning needed, and no sacrifices.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
BTW, turning your statement around, I think you meant that only those people who don't have to use expensive public charging will find BEVs economic. Since that leaves out the majority of the world's urban population, I don't see that as acceptable.
Present day, sure. I have not a clue what the world is going to be like in 2050. If you think you do, you are probably wrong.
Yup. OTOH, I probably won't be around to care. That being said, any major energy change takes decades, so all I can do in the meantime is try to encourage people to consider stepping just a little bit out of their comfort zone, and not oversell new tech that will draw a backlash when it comes up short, and causes instant rejection out of hand despite later improvements that fix the problems. I've seen that happen in the past (and am worried that Tesla's Autopilot issues may have that effect, as it's clearly unable to achieve anything like the nine 9s reliability needed, at the moment. Using the public to beta test critical safety equipment is a big no-no).

GRA said:
That being said, any major energy change takes decades, so all I can do in the meantime is try to encourage people to consider stepping just a little bit out of their comfort zone, and not oversell new tech that will draw a backlash when it comes up short, and causes instant rejection out of hand despite later improvements that fix the problems.

Which is why I think you should be more supportive of BEVs. They have a niche where they are similar in cost and better in other ways. Tesla has found a different niche, similar in cost and better in other ways, but at the high end of the market. Both niches let the production curve reduce costs, which widens and opens up the niches. Now, such niches are limited currently, perhaps a few percent of the total market. And expanding will take time, look again at HEVs.

dgpcolorado said:
NeilBlanchard said:
Chevy Bolt EV in the wild: ...
I wonder how a car like that with almost no front end in ahead of one's feet can handle front impact crash safety?

It will be interesting to see.
Keep in mind, many cars with bigger hoods have even less area for crumple zones as the engine is not deformable.
As I recall, the Smart Car, also with little room for a front crumple zone did very well on crash tests.

This is no gaurentee that the Bolt will do well on safety tests, just that it is possible for it to do well.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
That being said, any major energy change takes decades, so all I can do in the meantime is try to encourage people to consider stepping just a little bit out of their comfort zone, and not oversell new tech that will draw a backlash when it comes up short, and causes instant rejection out of hand despite later improvements that fix the problems.

Which is why I think you should be more supportive of BEVs. They have a niche where they are similar in cost and better in other ways. Tesla has found a different niche, similar in cost and better in other ways, but at the high end of the market. Both niches let the production curve reduce costs, which widens and opens up the niches. Now, such niches are limited currently, perhaps a few percent of the total market. And expanding will take time, look again at HEVs.
I'm supportive of BEVs where they can meet people's needs, but I believe the niche for affordable Gen 1 BEVs is so small, and the potential for disillusion/disappointment so high, that I consider very few people I know personally, and perhaps less than half of the newbies here who ask, are good candidates for them. You are aware that I was cautioning newbies about counting on more than 40 miles of year-round no-worries range, and in some cases 30 miles or even less for more than a few years, back when many enthusiasts were blithely declaring to the same newbies that they'd easily be able to go 70 or 80 miles for years. In winter.

I've never felt that Nissan's approach of introducing expensive new tech at a mid-market price point was a good one, and have always believed that Tesla went about things (mostly) the right way, starting at the high end and coming down as costs reduce. This is the curve every other expensive new high tech product has followed. Nissan should have started with an Infiniti, costing more but with a lot more range.

Once Gen 2 arrives, I'll be comfortable telling almost everyone that they'll be able to use the car for no-worry commutes/routine local driving for a decade or more, and the cars will also be acceptable in most climates for regional use/short road trips for at least 3-5 years, if they've got low cost, dependable and convenient charging etc. But not until then - we've had enough angry, stressed owners of all-too-soon unusable/inconvenient Gen 1 affordable BEVs already, and that's exactly what I try to avoid. Whoever said PHEVs are the gateway drug to BEVs exactly represents my take - 50% capability with a lot of satisfied customers is far better than 100% capability of very few customers, and far too many of them unsatisfied (and vocal). One negative experience has wider effect than 10 to 100 positive ones.

GRA said:
Once Gen 2 arrives, I'll be comfortable telling almost everyone that they'll be able to use the car for no-worry commutes/routine local driving for a decade or more, and the cars will also be acceptable in most climates for regional use/short road trips for at least 3-5 years, if they've got low cost, dependable and convenient charging etc. But not until then - we've had enough angry, stressed owners of all-too-soon unusable/inconvenient Gen 1 affordable BEVs already, and that's exactly what I try to avoid. Whoever said PHEVs are the gateway drug to BEVs exactly represents my take - 50% capability with a lot of satisfied customers is far better than 100% capability of very few customers, and far too many of them unsatisfied (and vocal). One negative experience has wider effect than 10 to 100 positive ones.
Although I'd consider "3-5 years" to be an overly pessimistic timeframe during which the cars will be acceptable "in most climates for regional use/short road trips", as I'm assuming that GM (and others) will avoid LEAF-like battery degradation, I otherwise agree with your sentiments, and I've been avoiding steering people toward Gen1 BEVs. Five years ago, many criticized GM for the Gen1 Volt's short EV range, use of a range extender, etc., but Volt customers today generally remain very happy.

As for the Bolt, we've criticized GM for opting not to contribute to a long-distance charging network. On the other hand, they are keeping expectations down by marketing the Bolt for commuting/local use, not as a full ICE replacement. While GM's conservative approach has merits, and they'll probably continue to have high customer satisfaction with their BEVs/PHEVs, I sure appreciate the way Tesla has pushed the envelope (in multiple ways). Without Tesla, there probably wouldn't be a Bolt, at least not a 2017 model!

abasile said:
Although I'd consider "3-5 years" to be an overly pessimistic timeframe during which the cars will be acceptable "in most climates for regional use/short road trips", as I'm assuming that GM (and others) will avoid LEAF-like battery degradation, I otherwise agree with your sentiments, and I've been avoiding steering people toward Gen1 BEVs. <snip>
Absent data, I'd much rather err on the side of caution than tell people "You'll probably be fine for 7-10 years". We aren't yet to mass market acceptance, so I think underpromising is still in order. Once people know what to expect, the usual lies/exaggerations of normal marketing can take over.

Zythryn said:
dgpcolorado said:
NeilBlanchard said:
I wonder how a car like that with almost no front end in ahead of one's feet can handle front impact crash safety?

It will be interesting to see.
Keep in mind, many cars with bigger hoods have even less area for crumple zones as the engine is not deformable.
As I recall, the Smart Car, also with little room for a front crumple zone did very well on crash tests.

This is no gaurentee that the Bolt will do well on safety tests, just that it is possible for it to do well.

engine is designed to slide under the passenger cabin. the car looks like it would be a LOT smaller than the LEAF but then again, they obviously sacrificed front end coverage to increase passenger space...

dgpcolorado said:
NeilBlanchard said:

Don't confuse the base of the windshield with the beginning of the crumple zone. The Bolt EV is a bit larger than a Honda Fit.

Plus the angle of the picture foreshortens the nose.

LeafMuranoDriver said:
If it's in AZ, they're probably testing heat tolerance but I wonder how long they've been testing there.

I like the looks.
So do I, although its appearance is essentially that of a current gen Honda Fit, and both have borrowed from Hyundai.

Looks like a pair of Bolts drove the West Coast and were in Western WA a few days ago. no idea what their destination is but guessing they might be headed back when they reach Canada?

Did anybody read this?

The more remarkable piece: Lyft drivers will be among the first to get access to GM’s all-electric 2017 Chevrolet Bolt, which is going into full production later this year. [...]

The Bolt will be made available once it goes into full production, which should be this fall, a GM spokesman told Fortune.

Does this mean, that the Chevy Bolt EV will be available this year still? Like actual cars on dealership lots, ready to be leased and be driven off the lot? ;-)

http://fortune.com/2016/07/11/gm-lyft-drivers-chevy-bolt/

Newbie said:
Did anybody read this?

The more remarkable piece: Lyft drivers will be among the first to get access to GM’s all-electric 2017 Chevrolet Bolt, which is going into full production later this year. [...]

The Bolt will be made available once it goes into full production, which should be this fall, a GM spokesman told Fortune.

Does this mean, that the Chevy Bolt EV will be available this year still? Like actual cars on dealership lots, ready to be leased and be driven off the lot? ;-)

http://fortune.com/2016/07/11/gm-lyft-drivers-chevy-bolt/

AFAIK (which is little since I don't keep up on "expectations" so much) the Bolt release has always been set to late Fall 2016 but in selected areas first with an eventual national availability. Based on that, I don't expect to see the Bolt in significant numbers in my area till spring/summer 2017

My local Chevrolet dealership in Connecticut said today, they will be able to order the Bolt on Thursday. So that is when they get to custom-built their allocation, and they said the amount of vehicles allocated to them is exact one. Still, they will be able to order that single one the day after tomorrow. They said, this one single Bolt should arrive in November or December, which surprised me, as I thought Connecticut would see deliveries way later than California and other states. I asked about pricing, and while of course they do not know the lease offers yet, they said at the end of the order process it should say an estimated MSRP.

Newbie said:
My local Chevrolet dealership in Connecticut said today, they will be able to order the Bolt on Thursday. So that is when they get to custom-built their allocation, and they said the amount of vehicles allocated to them is exact one. Still, they will be able to order that single one the day after tomorrow. They said, this one single Bolt should arrive in November or December, which surprised me, as I thought Connecticut would see deliveries way later than California and other states. I asked about pricing, and while of course they do not know the lease offers yet, they said at the end of the order process it should say an estimated MSRP.

+ 5000 dealer markup for only car on the lot and they will get it.

EVDRIVER said:
+ 5000 dealer markup for only car on the lot and they will get it.

I wonder, if on Thursday then, they will be able to say how it works with the DC Fast Charge port. I read in press reports before, that it is optional. Still I can imagine situations, when it is practical, to be able to recharge faster, than to have to wait 9 hours on a 6.6kW charger to have a full battery again. So does one have to select like a medium trim level, to have the DC Fast Charger? Or is it only available with the highest trim level? Or will one be able order a base Bolt with only a fast charger option and no other extras (no leather necessary), in order to keep the cost low?

Back