Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
There will be a lot of pressure on Nissan to come out with Leaf 2 in early '17 than late '18. They don't want to leave Bolt as the only long range inexpensive EV in the market for long.

I totally agree. The Leaf currently owns that segment of market, I don't think they will be willing to relinquish it easily. I predict Nissan will have a formidable response to the Bolt by the end of 17, perhaps using similar batterys from LG.

evnow said:
There will be a lot of pressure on Nissan to come out with Leaf 2 in early '17 than late '17. They don't want to leave Bolt as the only long range inexpensive EV in the market for long.
Alternatively 150 mile range Leaf on existing platform can come out next year for $33.5K making the Bolt less attractive to many due to price difference.

GetOffYourGas said:
evnow said:
Looks like Bolt will be at least as available as Leaf is now - 30k per year.

Not sure what the demand will be.

I have to believe that the demand for the 200-mile Bolt will be greater than demand for the 84-mile Leaf. Especially now that more and more people are exposed to EVs and it's no longer something "scary and new".

I sincerely doubt that will ever happen. the 84 mile LEAF will likely only be available as a used vehicle by the time the Bolt arrives

evnow said:
There will be a lot of pressure on Nissan to come out with Leaf 2 in early '17 than late '17. They don't want to leave Bolt as the only long range inexpensive EV in the market for long.

Well my current lease ends Dec 2016 and I believe LEAF II will already be out by then if not a few months away

DanCar said:
evnow said:
Alternatively 150 mile range Leaf on existing platform can come out next year for $33.5K making the Bolt less attractive to many due to price difference.
It is not clear what is on the critical path to Leaf 2. If it's the battery, then they can't have long range current Gen version before Gen 2.

evnow said:
DanCar said:
evnow said:
It is not clear what is on the critical path to Leaf 2. If it's the battery, then they can't have long range current Gen version before Gen 2.
Based on the rumor I'm theorizing the current Leaf floor can hold new LG batteries that will give it a boost in range to 150 miles. The Gen 2 Leaf will have more space and more range, 200 miles, but will likely cost more. Not sure what new technologies the Gen 2 Leaf will have, but hopefully it will have 4 wheel drive, better performance and faster charging. Which suggests a complete redesign of the power train.

DanCar said:
Based on the rumor I'm theorizing the current Leaf floor can hold new LG batteries that will give it a boost in range to 150 miles. The Gen 2 Leaf will have more space and more range, 200 miles, but will likely cost more. Not sure what new technologies the Gen 2 Leaf will have, but hopefully it will have 4 wheel drive, better performance and faster charging. Which suggests a complete redesign of the power train.
I don't think LG batteries are coming with a Leaf anytime soon - unless LG is keeping a very tight lid on the news. They never mention Nissan as a future partner.

In any case, both Leaf & Bolt have to be competitive with a $35k Model 3. So, there isn't much space there for a higher priced 200 miles Leaf.

evnow said:
I don't think LG batteries are coming with a Leaf anytime soon - unless LG is keeping a very tight lid on the news. They never mention Nissan as a future partner.
In any case, both Leaf & Bolt have to be competitive with a $35k Model 3. So, there isn't much space there for a higher priced 200 miles Leaf.
Model 3 is 2018 for most people. Bolt and I expect Leaf 2017 will be available two years earlier. Two year time frame is huge with battery prices dropping.

DanCar said:
Model 3 is 2018 for most people. Bolt and I expect Leaf 2017 will be available two years earlier. Two year time frame is huge with battery prices dropping.
It is really one year of difference. Bolt & Leaf will be '17 and Model 3 '18.

Everyone seems so optimistic on the release timeframe for the Bolt. If I had to wager, I'd say spring of 2018 at the earliest, and then only in a few select areas. Good luck if you want one and you live outside CA. Heck, the 2016 Volt is only in a few select areas.

ampitupco said:
Everyone seems so optimistic on the release timeframe for the Bolt. If I had to wager, I'd say spring of 2018 at the earliest, and then only in a few select areas. Good luck if you want one and you live outside CA. Heck, the 2016 Volt is only in a few select areas.
I'll take that wager. http://www.autonews.com/article/20150629/OEM05/306299985/chevy-pulls-ahead-timetable-for-bolt-ev
Delays are common, but current estimate is October 2016 for production and 6+ weeks to reach dealers.

ampitupco said:
I'd take that wager too. I'd put the chances of Bolt coming in '16/early '17 above 90%. Ofcourse this could only be CA.

Dan said:
Based on the rumor I'm theorizing the current Leaf floor can hold new LG batteries that will give it a boost in range to 150 miles.
One other possibility is that '16 itself is the 150 mile car. I've seen articles quoting 150 miles based on Japanese and EU cycles.

Come on now, we all know those cycles bare no resemblance to the real world in the U.S... The EPA rating will be the very low 100s...

evnow said:
One other possibility is that '16 itself is the 150 mile car. I've seen articles quoting 150 miles based on Japanese and EU cycles.

TomT said:
Come on now, we all know those cycles bare no resemblance to the real world in the U.S... The EPA rating will be the very low 100s...

evnow said:

Yes, but the Leaf is a world car. As such, it is measured against other test cycles as well. No doubt the more lenient EU/Japanese cycles have yielded better range results. It is all too common in the EV world for news agencies to use these numbers, even when the audience is in the US.

I suspect that EVNow is correct, and the 30kWh Leaf is in fact the "150 mile" car that is rumored to be coming. Which on the EPA tests nets 107 miles of range.

OK, I'll be out driving my 100 mile range 2011 if you need me... :lol:

GetOffYourGas said:
Yes, but the Leaf is a world car. As such, it is measured against other test cycles as well. No doubt the more lenient EU/Japanese cycles have yielded better range results. It is all too common in the EV world for news agencies to use these numbers, even when the audience is in the US.

TomT said:
OK, I'll be out driving my 100 mile range 2011 if you need me... :lol:

GetOffYourGas said:

Yes, me too.

If your point is that Nissan and the media were, and continue to be, misleading when quoting EV range, then I completely agree.

evnow said:
Here is a quote from the article:
A revised version of the current, original LEAF hatch will progressively be rolled out globally from next year with a boosted driving range of 300km, which is a substantial improvement to the current model’s 170km.
What that shows is a 76% increase in range. If we take that to the EPA number: 84 mile range * 1.765 = 148 mile range.
http://www.motoring.com.au/news/201...n/leaf/next-nissan-leaf-to-target-400km-53658

Back