Cheapest EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much are Glenn's assembled units? Having watched the YouTube assembly video I believe I could do it, but as I wrote I think the power supply needs to have a heat sink and be bolted to the housing, not glued. I could maybe add a heat sink, but only if no other modification was needed...

The OpenEVSE design uses a micropower processor. The major draw is the relay at around 150MA.

Chris uses a 12V, 5V 4W module in has current designs and it is more than adequate.

The comment about the JuiceBox power supply was about mounting it with double sided tape. I really doubt it gets that it ever gets hot since again, the only high current device is the relay.

LeftieBiker said:
How much are Glenn's assembled units? Having watched the YouTube assembly video I believe I could do it, but as I wrote I think the power supply needs to have a heat sink and be bolted to the housing, not glued. I could maybe add a heat sink, but only if no other modification was needed...

The original designs used a 5V input 12V dc to dc converter and the 5V regulator did run toasty. For the last few revisions that device runs on 12V. Even with a display the current 5V drain is under 50Ma.

On Barbouri's 4.2 boards I have replaced his $13 dollar regulator with a 100MA 78L05 and it runs stone cold.

Anyone can build an OpenEVSE. If you use Chris's case all of the holes are drilled. Building a unit only requires a little common sense. You could wire it in rats nest fashion and it would still work.

I think Chris offers a complete kit less cables now. Get your J1772 cable from Tony Williams or Amazon.

http://openevse-store.myshopify.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see he now sells a Dostar cable at a reasonable price.

Yes, I've priced the kit with output cable, and it's a decent price. (The assembled price is too close to buying a new, assembled Clipper Creek unit to be tempting). So the power draw is only significant with the relay engaged; does that mean the whole time the car is charging? We have a Leaf and a PIP, and both would often be charging sequentially.

LeftieBiker said:
Yes, I've priced the kit with output cable, and it's a decent price. (The assembled price is too close to buying a new, assembled Clipper Creek unit to be tempting). So the power draw is only significant with the relay engaged; does that mean the whole time the car is charging? We have a Leaf and a PIP, and both would often be charging sequentially.

The OpenEVSE uses An Atmel 328P pico power processor. I have measured the 12V in to a ver 4.2 unit including the display and it was around .06A. I have never measured Chris's unit with the built in power supply but I am sure the standby power is less than a watt. Most of the power is consumed lighting the display leds.

The Lincomatic SOC uses a similar processor and it draws only a couple of miliamps when the display times off.

By the way, If you have the skills to mount the components your self, a case is less than twenty dollars. The smaller case I use is $17 and the larger electric junction box is $12.

They are quite adequate but there is no denying Chris's box looks professional.

If you know how to use a soldering iron, I think the cheapest and easiest route to a fully functional 32A EVSE is the base kit from Electric Motor Werks. The kit is $179 plus $129 for the J1772 cable. You just have to figure out what you want to use as an input cable. They'll sell you a 14-50P (stove plug) cable for $40 but you can get them cheaper from the hardware store. Or do like I did, when you see a stove sitting on the side of the road, cut off the cable and voila, a free input cable. You could also do the same with a dryer but you'll have to turn down the max current. For me, it was a no brainer when I got my unit on kickstarter for $99 (I already had a 14-50 outlet in my garage)

So total cost for a fully functional 32A EVSE = $308 (if you hard-wire it or if you can find an input cable for free)

The EVSE upgrade (20A max) cost $287 but they won't send it back with your 120V plug, that cost an additional $25. So for $312 you get your unit back with the ability to charge at the same rate as before the upgrade (or less as you can adjust the current in 1A steps which is a cool feature). In order to charge at higher rates, you'll have to make or buy a pigtail.

So the biggest bang for the buck to me is the unit from emotorwerks.com. However, although you could use it as a portable unit (they claim it is weather-resistant) it's a little bulky. I use it as my home EVSE bolted to the wall. I also had the EVSE which came with my Leaf upgraded since the Panasonic unit is very compact and very rugged. I leave it in the car and use it as a portable unit and also to charge at my cottage using a L6-30 receptacle. I just find it a little expensive considering you are upgrading your EVSE to 20A when you can get a complete 32A EVSE with J1772 for less money. My biggest gripe is that they charge extra for the 120V pigtail.

Electric Motor Werks kit:
http://emotorwerks.com/products/onl...-open-source-level-2-15kw-ev-charging-station

EVSE upgrade:
http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=index&cPath=1

With Clipper Creek selling a fully functional (IOW with LED indicators) L-2 for less than $550 shipped, I'll probably go with them. I don't want to assemble a JW kit and after all that effort have a blank case with a glued-in power supply. They are substantially cheaper in dollars, but my time isn't worth nothing to me...

LeftieBiker said:
With Clipper Creek selling a fully functional (IOW with LED indicators) L-2 for less than $550 shipped, I'll probably go with them. I don't want to assemble a JW kit and after all that effort have a blank case with a glued-in power supply. They are substantially cheaper in dollars, but my time isn't worth nothing to me...

Clipper Creek makes quality equipment. You get the benefit of a 3 year warranty and they are certified. Electric Motor Werks does sell their 32A unit fully assembled for $378. The Clipper Creek unit for less than $550, is it 30A or only 20A?

I went with the lowest cost option cause it frustrates me that EVSEs are so expensive. These are glorified extension cords with relays. They shouldn't be so expensive. Once manufactured on a large scale, an EVSE shouldn't cost more than $200. Until then, I will encourage the small independent companies like Electric Motor Werks and EVSE Upgrade in order to put pressure on the big guys to bring their priced down.

GlennD has one for sale now at $350 + $17 shipping. 32A and has timer functions to determine when to charge.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=16663" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm trying for the easiest installation as well as the best price for a unit with indicator lights. I can run 240 volts to the front porch and mount an outlet there, then use an extension or buried cable to the EVSE, or run the cable all the way from the foundation to the EVSE or 240 volt outdoor outlet, depending on the EVSE. I'd really like to avoid having to bury cable though, because of all the tree roots in my yard... For this reason I'm now seriously considering the EVSE Upgrade as well. I could run an outdoor-rated extension cord to an enclosure with a 240 volt outlet, and hang the EVSE inside it as well. This way I could also take the EVSE with me, for use in RV parks.

LeftieBiker said:
Isn't that a 120 volt input cable with it?
That looks like a Nema 14-50 plug to me (240V).

The EVSE upgrade is about $330 (to support both 240V and 120V charging).

For another $30+, you get ANOTHER unit and it not only has indicator lights, you also have a real time clock which supports time-of-use charging and easily adjustable charging current (in 2A steps). You can also run the OpenEVSE on 120V if you get the proper plug adapter.

I would get Glenn's unit or build your own if you like a bit of fun with electricity. Glenn sells typically at cost or close to it. OpenEVSE is also a much better vetted platform than JuiceBox.

eHelmholtz said:
I would get Glenn's unit or build your own if you like a bit of fun with electricity. Glenn sells typically at cost or close to it. OpenEVSE is also a much better vetted platform than JuiceBox.

I agree with both. My main concern with the OEVSE unit is the lack of a warranty other than the non-DOA guarantee. I won't be able to spend any more money on an EVSE after this (I'm retiring), so having a warranty is a positive factor. I don't remember how long the EVSE Upgrade warranty is, but I assume it's significant.

LeftieBiker said:
I don't remember how long the EVSE Upgrade warranty is, but I assume it's significant.
That's an interesting comment. I browsed the EVSE upgrade website and I couldn't find any mention of the warranty on the upgrade service.

greenleaf said:
LeftieBiker said:
I don't remember how long the EVSE Upgrade warranty is, but I assume it's significant.
That's an interesting comment. I browsed the EVSE upgrade website and I couldn't find any mention of the warranty on the upgrade service.

Yes, after not finding it either, I submitted that as a question. If it's essentially "no DOA" and that's it, I'll go for the OEVSE, if it's still available.

LeftieBiker said:
greenleaf said:
LeftieBiker said:

Yes, after not finding it either, I submitted that as a question. If it's essentially "no DOA" and that's it, I'll go for the OEVSE, if it's still available.
I found an older outdated FAQ page that states a warranty of one year.

http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=page_2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The warranty clause however does not appear in the latest FAQ page so I suspect that the warranty does not apply to new upgrades. I am interested to hear what the reply from EVSEUpgrade says.

Back