Charging timer on S model; other differences with S?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fhammond

I'm thinking about leasing an S model Leaf. However, it's not clear to me if the ability to set a timer for charging is available on the S model. Does someone know?

Apart from the timer, are there other possible differences between the S (the one I'm looking at includes the quick charger option) and the -L and -V models, relating to charging?

Thanks!
Fergus

The S model has a charge timer but it is only for end time. It will automatically start based on an estimated time it will finish before the end time. e.g. 2 hour till 100% @ 8 pm, it will start charging at 6pm.

The S without QC package comes with a 3.3kw charger. The S QC, SV, and SL comes with the 6kw Charger (note it is 6kw not 6.6kw. It pulls 6.6kw from the EVSE station, but the onboard charger is 6kw. Marketing tool...)

SL is the only one that comes with QC standard. S and SV needs to add the package if you wanted QC.

SV and SL have navigation and carwings. You will be able to start and stop charging remotely as well as set a start time for your charging timer.

Not related to charging, but definitely related to range: the Leaf S still uses the resistive-style heater of the older models, which uses up a considerable amount of energy. The 2013 SV and SL have a heat pump which is far less of a current draw.

However if you live in a very cold climate, the heat pump won't be as effective and the resistive heater will kick in anyway.

http://sfbayleafs.org/news/2013/01/2013-nissan-leaf-product-highlights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the specs tab of http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2013-nissan-leaf-press-kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; may help.

I know someone who has just leased a 2013 Leaf S with the fast charger and QC port. Until I sat in his car I did not appreciate how limiting his charging control would be without the Navigation module and touch screen. He has had the car for a few weeks and he had never tried to set 80% charging. Without the ability to set a start time there is no need for timer override. He just plugs it in and it immediately starts charging to 100% and then it sits in the sun at work. We found the 80% setting on the trip computer by the steering column, but he didn't want to set it. He gets free L2 charge at work, he has the EVSE upgrade for 240V charging at home and 20 mile 1-way commute. Hopefully he will get the confidence to try 80% at some point. With a lease and short commute he doesn't have much incentive to be easy on his battery.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I ended up leasing an SV model and I think it was a good decision. Cheap too: $190/month for 24 months.

tbleakne said:
Without the ability to set a start time there is no need for timer override.
I don't see how that follows. Ignoring 80% vs. 100% for the moment, if he sets an end timer for the time he leaves for work the car won't remain at a high charge level for as long, but will be ready when he wants it. Then he can use the timer override to charge during the day. He never has to touch the timer programming in the trip computer.

Now, 80% is another matter, and a bit more of a bother. As you said, it too is set in the trip computer. What tripped me up was that, unlike 2011/2012 models, the 80% is not affected by the timer override button. So if you do have 80% set and want to charge to 100%, you do have to go into the trip computer settings and change it there. And you have to remember to go back and change it again the next day to get back to 80%.

But the silver lining on that cloud is that if he never needs the full range he can set it at 80% and forget it, and the 80% applies even at work when he uses the override button.

Ray

Back