Charging Plan to Help Battery Life

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for all the replies.

One thing I find makes adhering to this simpler, is the blink timer settings.
I leave the car timers where I have always set them: bracketing the lowest rates with DWP.
I use the blink to set the precise two-hour intervals for getting four bars, which is what I need to go to or from work--25 miles.

Moreover, the new blink software -- accessible from my laptop at home -- allows me to override that or reset it for a particular charge cycle.

Although still a concern, I would guess that repeatedly charging to 100% is less of a concern if the Leaf is leased. I assume in 24, 36 or 39 months, we will have much better data on the impact on battery life of doing so. If it really degrades, value is likely to be well below buyout costs and you would simply turn it in and pay the disposal fee.

I'm not convinced anyone knows the real answer on battery degradation, but the one thing certain is that you're paying for electricity at home. Are you paying for it at work or is it free? If free, it may be worth just doing 100% of your charging there if possible and figure the savings in electricity will offset any possible battery degradation. If you don't want to risk that, charge to 80% at work but not at home. Set the EVSE timer at home to give you just enough juice to arrive at work with only one bar or however much leeway you feel comfortable with, so that most of your charging is done at work. Again, this shifts costs away from home and may offset any battery degradation, which should be minimal if you are charging only to 80%.

Rat said:
I'm not convinced anyone knows the real answer on battery degradation, but the one thing certain is that you're paying for electricity at home. Are you paying for it at work or is it free? If free, it may be worth just doing 100% of your charging there if possible and figure the savings in electricity will offset any possible battery degradation. If you don't want to risk that, charge to 80% at work but not at home. Set the EVSE timer at home to give you just enough juice to arrive at work with only one bar or however much leeway you feel comfortable with, so that most of your charging is done at work. Again, this shifts costs away from home and may offset any battery degradation, which should be minimal if you are charging only to 80%.

Thanks for the input.
I do like the free power but had already decided not to use work as my primary charging site. Getting about half my power there seemed sufficient.
Regardless, at 2 cents a mile when charging at base EV rate at home, I dont think the issue is that large (250 miles a week commuting costs $5.

My primary issue is how to treat the battery pack; running from 3-4 bars to 7-8 bars, thus--keeping the pack in mid-charge range with few highs and lows on a regular basis, seems the right idea.
What I dont know is whether that calculation, as port forth by colleagues above, is the right calculation.
Recall, too, that temperature during charging is not an issue as this is an underground lot.

gbarry42 said:
I could have sworn I'd read this thread before, too. And in my delirium, I remember a post something like this:

"For maximum life, charge it to 50%, leave it, and ride your bike to work"
Hey that's what I did last week and probably will this week too. :D
I did drive more than 50 mi this weekend so I suppose that compensates for the lack of use.

Reddy.

thankyouOB said:
Recall, too, that temperature during charging is not an issue as this is an underground lot.
I guess that depends on how hot it is outdoors. One thing I see with the LEAF is that when it is driven the battery pack moves to the ambient temperature rather quickly, but if it is sitting, it can take many hours to get to ambient.

With a morning and evening commute, it may work out to be a wash, since the morning temperatures will likely be cooler and therefore charging at work will be fine, while the afternoon commute is likely close to the hottest part of the day. It will take more hours to cool off after the afternoon commute, but you HAVE more hours before you need to charge. The wild card is whether you take the car out at lunchtime before charging in the afternoon...

thankyouOB said:
My question has to do with the best strategy for charging to maintain battery health and limit pack degradation. Charge on only one end, or charge at home and work so that the battery cycles between 6 and 10 bars, and is rarely below 4 bars?
Charge at work and at home to 80%. Lithium batteries prefer being charged in the middle portion. The structures remain stable and you get fewer side reactions.

A lower discharge rate also helps.

Unless there is some huge difference in temperatures that won't matter. Short periods in hot weather at 80% charge should be fine. Enjoy your Leaf.

Back