charging on generator

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IIRC, you can run low-power through CHAdeMO, but when I was experimenting, it needed to be at least a kW or so to keep the QC session going. It definitely charges fine at 5kW through DC.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
If you have a 240v capable generator and you intend on charging @ 240v, then barring a proper bonded ground with ground rod, a 100k resistor from neutral to ground should suffice.

You generator is single phase, so there is only one phase center-tapped to provide 240/120v. Most of these small generators have a switch to select from 120v or 240v/120v. That usually re-arranges the windings to be in parallel rather than series, so if you are having only 120v loads, you get double the current and no need to balance.

-Phil

I have a generator exactly as you describe but for some reason the Leaf will not charge when running at 240v. I use this generator at my cottage as the grid is somewhat unreliable. The trip to my cottage pretty much depletes my battery so I need to charge it up in order to get back home (no charging stations on the way). Last weekend I decided to do a test charge off the generator. I plugged the generator into the cottage's panel in order to simulate a power outage and also to get a true ground (main off). I set the upgraded EVSE to 6 amps to start and everything seemed fine. Plugged in the Leaf and the car's LED started blinking indicating the car was charging but didn't hear any change in motor sound. Bumped up the current to 12A, tried again, and still no change in engine sound (obviously not charging). I let it go for a while and eventually the LED lights went out. I then switched the generator to 120v and then the Leaf charged no problem (now I could tell the engine was loaded). I didn't have a multi-meter with me so I couldn't check what voltage was being put out, I'll bring one with me the next time I go up to the cottage. Could it be that the voltage was too high for the Leaf? Any ideas?

For some reason I have noticed it takes a while for the car to connect with the genset compares to the grid. It took about 3 minutes before the car started charging. I assume you tried that though. And you already have the resistors in the plug? Not sure what else is in there. Did you ever hear the genset load down when it tried to start charging?

It's unknown to me what the upper/lower limits on voltage are for successful charging, and if the LEAF cares about frequency stability, but I can say it will charge on a 5500w Honda Inverter-based genset ok.

-Phil

Got my setup working with Ingineer's wonderful plug-resistor set up. Now I waiting on my EVSE upgrade so I can charge at lower amperage.

2094459_orig.jpg

I actually have two questions regarding installing resistors in the plug to use a 220V 60hz generator that has a NEMA L14-30 receptacle for charging my LEAF:

1) The example described by Ingineer for a 110V plug (NEMA 5-15P) where a 1/2 watt 100k ohm resistor is installed between the Neutral (silver screw) and Ground (green), and another 1/2 watt 100k ohm resistor installed between the Hot (gold screw) and Ground (green).

Since I will be attaching a NEMA L14-30 plug to my EVSE-Upgrade pigtail instead of the NEMA 5-15P, I’m curious if the resistor connections will also change? Would I connect the resistors between each Hot and the Ground? And then would I need to connect a third resistor between the Neutral and Ground?

2) Since my generator has a NEMA L14-30 receptacle I need to know what to do with the Neutral connection on the NEMA L14-30 plug that I will be installing on my EVSE-Upgrade pigtail? Should I leave the Neutral unconnected or connect it to Ground or maybe as asked above, connect another resistor between Neutral and Ground?

Thanks for your help!

If you have an EVSE upgrade (rev3) the ground detect functionality is selectable. Contact us for the codes.

For others, I recommend the same configuration for 240v operation, connect the 2 resistors, one each between each hot to ground, like a "Y". Effectively the same as 120v connections.

-Phil

I got the Ryobi inverter to work just fine with the EVSE you get with the 2012 Leaf. I just had to buy a plug at Home Depot and short the ground and the neutral together and leave the hot plug unattached. I loaded the generator with 1 gallon of gas and it ran for 3 hours and added 25 miles of range to my Leaf. Not bad. All at 110. Level 2 would be better, but this is a start and the charger is only 52 pounds!

https://www.ryobitools.com/outdoor/products/details/545" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The easy way to make this work is take a screw-on plug (NEMA 5-15P) and install two 1/2 watt 100k ohm resistors. One from neutral (silver screw) to ground (green), and the other from hot (gold screw) to ground (green). Then simply plug this into one outlet on the generator, and your EVSE into the other. This will safely pass the ground detect on the Nissan (and our upgraded) EVSE, while not being a hazard in any other way."

I think I can buy the resistors at Radio Shack, but how do I install them in the Nema 5-15P plug? Do I just push them into the holes and tighten the screws? So no wire needed?

Yes, resistors come with long leads, so I would just twist one lead from each resistor together, to connect to the ground screw in the plug, and screw the other end of the resistors to the hot and neutral.

pfosse said:
Thank you. Parts ordered on Amazon, coming in tomorrow. Any comments on Ryobi vs. Honda?
I can't help you with that. IIRC Phil (Ingineer) has said that the Honda generators produce a clean sin wave and not all generators do. And the Honda is fairly quiet and clean. But the Honda generators are quite expensive (although they hold resale value because of their popularity among RVers). I've never looked into reviews on Ryobi generators.

Except for testing, I've never actually used mine, although I've carried it on long trips over the mountains as a security blanket. Now that public charge stations are coming to my area I don't suppose I really need it anymore.

The Ryobi is okay - quiet, clean power.

The Honda is great - probably none better. Quiet and clean, but also known to run for thousands of hours. If you plan to use it a lot, and own it for along time, and can afford the difference, the choice is Honda. The Ryobi may serve just fine; the Honda will.

Ok, I'm a little confused now. I'm pondering the idea of charging from a 240v capable generator with an L14-30 (without a ground rod), and I'm not sure if resistors would be needed from just the neutral to ground, just both hots to ground, or all 3. Maybe any option would work, but I'd like to know which is preferred. A few pages back, Phil said this:
Ingineer said:
If you have a 240v capable generator and you intend on charging @ 240v, then barring a proper bonded ground with ground rod, a 100k resistor from neutral to ground should suffice.

You generator is single phase, so there is only one phase center-tapped to provide 240/120v. Most of these small generators have a switch to select from 120v or 240v/120v. That usually re-arranges the windings to be in parallel rather than series, so if you are having only 120v loads, you get double the current and no need to balance.
Then a few posts later he said this:
Ingineer said:
If you have an EVSE upgrade (rev3) the ground detect functionality is selectable. Contact us for the codes.

For others, I recommend the same configuration for 240v operation, connect the 2 resistors, one each between each hot to ground, like a "Y". Effectively the same as 120v connections.
So which is it? For this hypothetical scenario let's assume we're not using an EVSEupgraded unit (nor a Leaf, for that matter, but we'll forget about that...)

I've just done this and my Nissan EVSE ('12 rev.2?) works great pulling 11.5 amps and ~1.4 kW. However, when I plug in my old 120 V Clipper Creek EVSE (successfully used for opportunity charging), the power fault displays. I've not plugged it into the LEAF on the other side, so I'm not sure how significant the error may be. Is the resistor mod designed to work with just the Nissan EVSE or should it work will all other brands in theory?

Do not connect the "W" (Neutral) pin on the L14-30 to anything. The 2 resistors go from ground to X and ground to Y.

A L14-30 is the same as a L6-30, but with the extra W pin. Ignore this for EVSE purposes.

-Phil

Back