Charging Cord vandalism. (warning to all EV car owners)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
planet4ever said:
How about a conspicuous sign that says

CAUTION
HIGH VOLTAGE

Ray

This doesn't stop people from anything, people climb transmission towers and try to steal copper constantly. Then when they make contact with the lines, they (or their family) sue the utility...

-Matt

Maybe mine would be more effective:

pic

:lol:

Haha! VERY Funny warning pic post Ingineer !!

Here is a not so funny proof of how bad copper theft has become, The thieves
even steal copper pipes from air conditioners on peoples properties! I hope
this will reinforce how serious this issue will become if it is not
addressed early by EV charging station manufacturers now, not later.
(Please add a newspaper vending machine style lock box to charging stations to store the cords safely.)

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2011/03/06/1486286/copper-thieves-wreck-havoc-on.html

Link to a recent NEWS article on copper theft, one of many across the country.

signed,
RikiTiki

I was thinking of just starting a new thread in which to post stories of copper theft. Here's another http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2011/07/28/copper-thieves-target-vallejo-schools/.

I really hope that public charging stations don't become targets and become all disabled w/the owner not wanting to spend any more $ to repair them.

This is a valid concern, with copper at $3.50 or $4 per pound (commodity prices rising). Sheesh, i read an article where thieves are even stealing the small bronze flower pots off of graves. How disrespectful is that? The thief doesn't care.

The idea of a newspaper-style door to access the charging cord is a good one and I think it should be adopted to prevent vandalism/theft of wire and/or J1772.

Maybe you should punish the vandals and put them in jail until they can pay back the damages...Hell you have electricity just add a couple of web cams to the evse so you can identify them better... How many gas station pumps are vandalized? If you enforce the laws we have this would be a non issue. Stopping illegals, secure the border and imagine the possibilities....

probably not going to be a popular response but the best way to combat theft is how we treat people that get caught.

in the current system, theft of property that is not considered a felony (more on THAT determination later) is less than a slap on the wrist. you literally have to be caught red handed SEVERAL times before you get any real negative repercussions.

what we should be doing is putting offenders to work on hard labor for a few months. just enough to put an impression on their stubborn brains but not enough to ruin their lives. i bet we have less people taking things...and another thing. i would NOT hesitate a second to put a 14 year old to work either.

as far as the
Felony thing. around here we tend to see copper theft being categorized as next to nothing because its based on the value of the item taken. $500 worth of wiring stripped out of a house under construction DOES NOT include the $2,000 in labor to put the wire in or the $2,000 in labor to re install the wire.

so, my post violates probably a dozen laws we have, so its not an option.

life goes on

Don't worry, the Great Karnac predicts that in a few years the wired charging of electric cars will be passe, it will all be done with those inductive bumps in the ground. Methinks a thief would need construction machinery to steal one of those.

harryjpowell said:
Maybe you should punish the vandals and put them in jail until they can pay back the damages...Hell you have electricity just add a couple of web cams to the evse so you can identify them better... How many gas station pumps are vandalized? If you enforce the laws we have this would be a non issue. Stopping illegals, secure the border and imagine the possibilities....

Sitting in jail and being housed and fed by taxpayers is punushment? Puhlease.

Caning is punishment (well, corporal punishment). Not too much crime in Singapore, although it's guilty unitl proven innocent system, but I digress..

back on topic.

Back